Uh-Oh...just noticed a mistake...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaTiger

Reaction score
When I filled my LBK up to the 8.5 qt mark last night after pouring my wort, it was dead on 8.5. Apparently, what I had it on wasnt level. Once I moved it to where I have it now, it shows this morning about a 1/4 inch BELOW the 8.5 mark. Did I just mess up? With it not having the right amount of water to wort, is that gonna screw this oatmeal stout up? Now, im pissed at myself! :mad:

BTW, Im only using the LBK to ferment the brew, it isnt a Mr Beer kit.

No, it is not screwed up. You could be a gallon low and it would be beer, just stronger beer. You could be a gallon high and it would be beer, just weaker beer. You are off far less than a gallon, I'm sure. I doubt it will even be noticeable. Carry on as I'd you hadn't noticed it. As long as your OG was good, you are better off with a "bad" volume.

What temp was the wort? Volume will decrease proportionally with temperature decrease. Ever Fill a dirty carboy to the top with hot water to let it soak, come back in the morning and the level is quite a bit lower once it has cooled.

Don't give him false hope!!!!!

It is SO screwed up! I can't even look at you, you screwed up SO BAD!!!!!!!!

;)

If anything it will be richer and higher ABV.

Will probably be your best beer ever.

Its no good, bottle it up and send it to me. I will dispose of it properly.

Evan_L said:
What temp was the wort? Volume will decrease proportionally with temperature decrease. Ever Fill a dirty carboy to the top with hot water to let it soak, come back in the morning and the level is quite a bit lower once it has cooled.

Agreed (although you mean directly, not proportionally - your volume won't change 10% if your temp changes 10%), this could absolutely account for your different volume measurement.

If this is really bothering you, you COULD boil some water, let it cool, and add it to your batch. I'm not recommending it and I certainly wouldn't do it myself, but it is an option...

You are more likely to do harm (oxidize or infect) than you are to do good. Leave it alone. RDWHAHB.

K. Leaving it alone and letting it rock on. And for those wanting me to bottle it and send it to them, I'll give you my dads favorite saying..."no". :)

lol...when its your first time, you worry over everything. Wait, you mean the beer...so yeah, if its your first time, you worry about everything. :D

I poured the wort at 85 degrees.

Since you won't send it to us, just give us your address and we'll mobilize as your own personal Hazmat team and come over to properly dispose of this batch. Hate to have you share it with your neighbors or family, so we are happy to take the bullet to help someone new. It's the least we can do.

Little Brown Keg. Its the fermenter that comes with the Mr. Beer Kit. :D

Ohhhhh, thanks. I've never used a Mr. Beer kit. Anyways, like others have said, I wouldn't worry about missing your water volume slightly. I've brewed some very good all grain batches where I've missed my OG. You'd never know it.

Back