First lhbs experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sok454

Reaction score
In St. Louis for wife's bday and she let me stop by a homebrew store. Was awesome to see everything in person etc. guy walked in and sold a couple of corny legs to store for credit. Said he had 30 but had sold most of them. I asked what he wanted but he wasn't in the dealing mood He got 40 in store credit for each. Damn. Missed out.

Yeah, going to the LHBS is fun.. Looking at all the high end kettle set ups, and whatnot!

Did you buy anything in there?

Bought stuff for a left hand milk stout for my bro for Xmas. Trying to surprise him. People were knowledgeable knew what hops cld replace what etc. had some nice blichman setups. Just wish I lived closer. Had kegs etc too. We're out of lactose though.

Keep an eye out locally on craigslist and what not for kegs. You can find them for $30-40 when they do pop up.

the lhbs is the newest addition to the list of stores that i have to "restrict" my activities at.

it's been added to the list with golf equipment stores, computer stores, and other forms of toy stores.

SWMBO says i get carried away.

I'm allowed to go whenever i like, but i have to take a list with me.

:)

I also enjoyed my first visit to the LHBS. If it hadn't gone well, I doubt I would have pursued the hobby any further. Unfortunately, it is a bit of a drive (about 1 1/2 hours round trip) so I don't go very often.

the lhbs is the newest addition to the list of stores that i have to "restrict" my activities at.

it's been added to the list with golf equipment stores, computer stores, and other forms of toy stores.

SWMBO says i get carried away.

I'm allowed to go whenever i like, but i have to take a list with me.

See.. you messed up. I'm an avid golfer, and have been for a while, so coupled with the dues from the CC, and the fact I used to just buy everything at the golf stores, my wife is happy to have me in the homebrew store.. $30-40 for ingredients and a little toy each time.. She's THRILLED! Beats the boxes of $1200 irons and $400 drivers showing up and me swinging them in the house!

And I hear you on the list. I have to, because I can't remember all the stuff I NEED, and lose track on the stuff I WANT.

FATC1TY said:
See.. you messed up. I'm an avid golfer, and have been for a while, so coupled with the dues from the CC, and the fact I used to just buy everything at the golf stores, my wife is happy to have me in the homebrew store.. $30-40 for ingredients and a little toy each time.. She's THRILLED! Beats the boxes of $1200 irons and $400 drivers showing up and me swinging them in the house!

And I hear you on the list. I have to, because I can't remember all the stuff I NEED, and lose track on the stuff I WANT.

Best advice I have heard in a long time...all about perspective.

are you kidding me?

never mind the equipment, a saturday morning brew day could NEVER cost me what green fees do.

but, i'm still having trouble explaining the Saturday when I play golf in the morning, and brew a batch in the afternoon.

btw... one advantage of taking a list... it gives me something to write down the names of all the new toys on, for the next time.

and, for the record, my wife likes the home brew hobby for lots of reasons.

1. i'm home
2. cheaper than golf
3. i almost always cook dinner after i finish
4. i can't get into any trouble when i'm spending hours on the internet looking up beer recipes, and the latest designs for home-made brewing equipment.
5. since i brew one gallon at a time, i can't even make enough to get in trouble DRINKING it.

pretty much the same reasons as everyone else.

Op: Which store you go to? Doesn't sound like the same one I've been to.

It was Saint Louis Wine and Beer Making. Was on Lamp and Lantern Road or something in Town and Country. Think there is a Melting pot near there. Girl was working and knew a fair amount and dude was there too. Even got a 10% discount for being memeber of a HB group 2 hrs away! Prices make it almost cheaper to buy there than online.

Back