Not loving S-04...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andycr

Reaction score
So far I've brewed 2 beers with Safale S-04, and unlike it's cousin US-05, I'm not loving it. It seems to give a lot of fruity flavors, and not in a good way, even at low fermentation temps. I have a Hobgoblin clone that (immature, admittedly) tastes a bit like wine mixed with coriander.

I'm trying Danstar Windsor for my 10th and newest brew (Caribou Slobber), so it'll be interesting to compare and contrast.

So now I'm wondering - since US-05 and WLP001 are the same strain, is there an identical liquid version of S-04? That way I know what to avoid.

Thanks!

I've used s-04 in a beer that worked great. However, in two gluten free batches I made for SWMBO, they tasted like funky wine. It's been weird. I've been super diligent about cleaning and sanitizing. Even brewed a variety of other beers with out the same taste. Trying nitty on a GF right now. We will see if there is a difference.

It's a strain that a lot of brewers don't particularly enjoy -- I'm one of them. There are so many wonderful English strains out there to keep in your stable of rinsed yeasts that I'll pass forever on the 04. Now the 05 is a whole different matter ;)

should be the same as Wyeast Whitbread I believe. I like S-04 for "mild" british ales. I think it struggles when starting to get into a old ale, RIS, or Barleywine style beers. Its a true British yeast so the fruit flavors are really part of that style.

I've always found the Whitbread yeasts (s-04, wy1098/wlp007, wy1099) to have a distinctive 'twangy' flavor when fermented warm or under pitched. I can't stand the taste of the stuff and even when fermented properly, it is too boring for my tastes. There are so many excellent English yeasts out there, that nearly anything else would be an improvement over s-04.

Also, you may want to reconsider on the Windsor yeast. IMO, it's as bad as fermenting with bread yeast and it has some of the poorest attenuation and flocculation around. Makes decent ciders though.

I'm in the same boat as the rest of the guys. I've used it once, probably under-pitched a bit, but definitely got those twangy notes in an American Wheat.

I like S-04. You have to pay attention to your temps even more so than usual, though. It gets real strange apple tones if it gets in the high 60s during fermentation.

Did you let the temps get away from you?

Yeah, surprised to see so many people not fond of S04. I know a lot of brewers that use it as their house yeast for everything from pales, IPA's to ESB's.

There is one beer that I use it for often. I have 12 gal sitting in a fermentor right now. My Strawberry Blond which was based on Pete's Wicked Ale recipe. It goes very well with the fruity character. I have not used it for non-fruit beers yet. It is a beast of a fermenter with very quick fermentation and a dry finish. I have always tried to keep it below 68*F and had finished fermentations in well under 2 weeks. In reality probably done a in a few days but it never hurts to leave it longer to let it clean up after itself.

beerloaf

I like S-04. You have to pay attention to your temps even more so than usual, though. It gets real strange apple tones if it gets in the high 60s during fermentation.

Did you let the temps get away from you?

Hmm. I'd like to say no, but I wouldn't have considered anything below 68 'getting away from me', so I guess it's possible it did that.

Also, you may want to reconsider on the Windsor yeast. IMO, it's as bad as fermenting with bread yeast and it has some of the poorest attenuation and flocculation around. Makes decent ciders though.

Really? That sucks. I noticed on the NB site it recommended Windsor or Northwest Ale, and since NW Ale yeast isn't available locally I used the Windsor...

What do you mean by as bad as fermenting with bread yeast? Not familiar with what happens when you use bread yeast.

Do you ferment with the trub ? I think it could make difference for this yeast

I like how hard it flocs, but haven't been able to achieve the same "clean" profile with this yeast others claim with my setup. I stick with US-05 for my dry yeasts and go to the liquids for British yeasts where I have better control over the ester profile.

Wow, this kind of scares me a bit. Brewed a low gravity brown with it (carbing). And washed the yeast from that for my Scotch ale. Fermented the first in the mid/upper 60's and the latter in the low 60's. Fingers crossed I didn't screw this up. I was amazed at how quickly the brown fermented and how well it flocced out in under 2 weeks.

I love S-04's floccing, drops like a rock and it's burned through everything super fast. The downside is anything over 64f (bucket temp, admittedly) has given me off flavors. Some so bad that I had to leave the beer for a month to sit and hope it worked itself out, or blend with another beer.

I've found it works best for me when fermented LOW, like 60-62, and when it's in a beer that has a lot of flavor on its own, like a porter or brown, something with some chocolate/roast or lots of crystal. Sort of cover up the funky....

Used it in a honey blonde ale I must admit did not enjoy the fruity undertones very much. Fermentation temp was admittedly a bit on the high side.

Too bad, I love the stuff. It's replaced US-05 for me as my house ale yeast. I can ferment it cool say at 60 and get a very clean beer, or I can ramp it up and get some esters.

Put me in the camp of hating (yes, that's a strong word, but appropriate) 04. I've fermented it from 70F to 60F and in between to try to get this yeast to work for me. I've so wanted this yeast to make good beer, I mean....everybody loves it!! I'm tired of making beer that taste like sh&* because of this yeast and have completely written it off. If I want an English ale yeast, I go for WLP 002. Next to 05, 002 is my favorite yeast. Maybe some actually like the sour tangy taste that this yeast imparts on every brew ("fruity" my arse).....but I ain't one of them. Did I mention how much I despise this yeast? :D

Put me in the camp of hating (yes, that's a strong word, but appropriate) 04. I've fermented it from 70F to 60F and in between to try to get this yeast to work for me. I've so wanted this yeast to make good beer, I mean....everybody loves it!! I'm tired of making beer that taste like sh&* because of this yeast and have completely written it off. If I want an English ale yeast, I go for WLP 002. Next to 05, 002 is my favorite yeast. Maybe some actually like the sour tangy taste that this yeast imparts on every brew ("fruity" my arse).....but I ain't one of them. Did I mention how much I despise this yeast? :D

Really glad it isn't just me. I don't think I'll be wasting any more time with it, when there are so many other great yeasts out there. Never tried WLP002 so that's at the top of my list. I've heard great things about WLP029 German Kölsch as a clean, general purpose, low-ester yeast so I will probably try an APA with that soon rather than US-05.

Ideally for most of my beers I'd like something which ferments very cleanly at 68 (so I can be lazy and only use an evaporation setup for cooling) - one British style, one American (Chico) style. If I could have those two at that temp I would be happy for 90% of my brews.

I'm with the consensus here in not liking S-04. However i'm going to give it one last chance in the low 60s with a mild that i'm planning.

I can say I made a porter with S-04 almost a year ago and it was undrinkable until about a month ago, now it's kind of good. So the "time heals all" theory does work with S-04. Though aging a porter for 8 months is a little too long for me. I ended up dumping most of it and keeping a sixer of it to see what happened.

I ended up dumping most of it and keeping a sixer of it to see what happened.

Short on space or bottles or what?

Instead of dumping it, you could have made beer bread, beer soup, beer stew, beer marinade, fried beer, beer kabobs, beer salad, beer and potatoes, beer burger, beer sandwich...

Thank YOU!!!!!! I have been brewing for like 3 years now and I started using the dry yeast.. I will give it that it ferments very quickly but I couldn't put my finger on this sour tangy taste I was getting in my beers.... I just brewed a Chocolate Milk Stout and it has that sour tangy taste to it and I couldn't figure it out... does this settle with time??

S-04 has always performed well for me. Ferments fast and flocculates well, fermented in the low 60's gives a nice flavor and a little fruit. Not a strong attenuator, but leaving a higher FG in some styles works better.

I'm with the consensus here in not liking S-04. However i'm going to give it one last chance in the low 60s with a mild that i'm planning.

If you are looking for a dry yeast that is suitable for a mild, you might give Nottingham a shot instead of the S-04.

bleme said:
Short on space or bottles or what?

Instead of dumping it, you could have made beer bread, beer soup, beer stew, beer marinade, fried beer, beer kabobs, beer salad, beer and potatoes, beer burger, beer sandwich...

Yep, short on bottles. Ive vowed to never do it again.

weirdboy said:
If you are looking for a dry yeast that is suitable for a mild, you might give Nottingham a shot instead of the S-04.

Nottingham is fantastic!

Thank YOU!!!!!! I have been brewing for like 3 years now and I started using the dry yeast.. I will give it that it ferments very quickly but I couldn't put my finger on this sour tangy taste I was getting in my beers.... I just brewed a Chocolate Milk Stout and it has that sour tangy taste to it and I couldn't figure it out... does this settle with time??

In my experience no. It may become a little bit obnoxius...but I could still taste it in my Irish Red nine months later. I split a 10 gallon batch of this brew with a friend. He absolutely loved the beer and the 04 twang. So, I don't want to come across that I'm bashing the people that love this yeast. It just ain't for me.

I just kegged a pumpkin ale that was fermented with s-04 and it came out fantastic. I secondaried it for about 2-3 weeks since there was pumpkin in it, and it cleared completely and made a very compact cake in the secondary. No twang or off favors that I can find. I fermented around 62 degrees on average using a water bath so there were even temp swings as much as 5 degrees at times.

In my experience no. It may become a little bit obnoxius...but I could still taste it in my Irish Red nine months later. I split a 10 gallon batch of this brew with a friend. He absolutely loved the beer and the 04 twang. So, I don't want to come across that I'm bashing the people that love this yeast. It just ain't for me.

Interesting that it could just be a matter of taste!

Yes it is a matter of taste. I don't like tart yeasts. Tangy, tart, sour, same kind of thing. I don't like it, in spite of the other positive characteristics of this yeast. It's not that it comes out undrinkable, you just have to like that kind of thing. I'm working my way through my last keg of S04 brewed beer right now. I think I'm done with that yeast.

My pumpkin ale that I did 3 weeks ago didn't even start up with S-04. Had to throw in some washed Bell's I was saving for another brew:mad:

If you want to try an exciting English yeast, try WLP002 or Wyeast1968. I use this strain for most of my beers. I love the quick fermentation, high flocculation, slightly lower attenuation, and the fruity estery things it adds. I pitch at 62 and let rise to 68, then when it begins to slow I use a heating pad to raise to 72-75 or more. I've pitched and fermented at 68 but it's pretty pungent. I would mostly reserve this technique for super flavorful browns, pumpkins, imperials, ambers, etc. If you're trying an IPA then you can keep it subtle and still get a lot of character

If you want to try an exciting English yeast, try WLP002 or Wyeast1968. I use this strain for most of my beers. I love the quick fermentation, high flocculation, slightly lower attenuation, and the fruity estery things it adds. I pitch at 62 and let rise to 68, then when it begins to slow I use a heating pad to raise to 72-75 or more. I've pitched and fermented at 68 but it's pretty pungent. I would mostly reserve this technique for super flavorful browns, pumpkins, imperials, ambers, etc. If you're trying an IPA then you can keep it subtle and still get a lot of character

Pitching temp is something I've yet to master - most of the time I just pitch at 72 and let it work its way down. I have managed to pitch in the low or mid 60's at times, basically by icing the wort down to 50 something... The top-up water is usually at room temp so it always brings it up a bit.

I have to try 002, though. I wish I'd used it for this batch of Caribou Slobber instead of Windsor - it's been a week and it's every bit as cloudy as the Hefeweizen sitting next to it... Doesn't help that I forgot the Irish moss.

My name is Grantman1 and I am an S-04 hateaholic. Nice to see there are others that struggle with this as well.

Esters galore, even when I fermented in the low 60s. And not good esters.

My name is Grantman1 and I am an S-04 hateaholic. Nice to see there are others that struggle with this as well.

Esters galore, even when I fermented in the low 60s. And not good esters.

Welcome to the club! It's full of disappointing beers, strange esters, and shattered dreams. :p

Just sampled another with a little more age, still has a weird coriander and sour wine thing going on, with a bubblegum aftertaste. Glad I only brewed a 2.5 gallon batch; sure I can find some way to choke them down. :drunk:

I do want to see whether age helps much, so I'll just take one a week for a few weeks before I give up all hope.

Back