pH Meter Storage Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wynne-R

Reaction score
Ok Guys, I have a quick question. I just got a Milwaukee MW 101 pH meter, and it’s as much fun as a new toy can be. My problem is that the owner’s manual puzzles me.

Immerse the tip (2.5cm) of the pH electrode into the sample and stir gently.

After completing measurements, switch the meter off and store the electrode with a few drops of storage solution (MA9015) in the protective cap.

Here’s my question; If I need to stick this thing an inch into the solution to get a good reading, how is a few drops of storage solution going to do anything?

Is there a downside to immersing it? You know, ten drops instead of a few.

Ok Guys, I have a quick question. I just got a Milwaukee MW 101 pH meter, and it’s as much fun as a new toy can be. My problem is that the owner’s manual puzzles me.

Here’s my question; If I need to stick this thing an inch into the solution to get a good reading, how is a few drops of storage solution going to do anything?

Is there a downside to immersing it? You know, ten drops instead of a few.
Does it have a piece of foam in the cap?

No, it's more like the finger of a rubber glove, about an inch and a quarter long.

I keep my Hanna meter probe submerged in solution. The salts in it creep out of the cap and it requires refilling if not used often. Id put more than less solution if it were mine.

The idea is to keep the bulb from drying out. The cap is doubtless designed to trap the moisture from the solution. This is sufficient. Potassium chloride creep is a most interesting phenomenon. I think helium close to absolute 0 is the only other substance that exhibits it. You should replenish the storage solution from time to time because of the creep. Immersion will not, AFAIK, harm the bulb. I always store my electrodes with the bulb immersed and I've been getting 2 or more years life out of them.

Thanks RC, AJ.

As long as it doesn’t go dry, we’re good, apparently. Odd the way they worded it. Usually manufacturers are very careful about stuff like that.

Thanks RC, AJ.

As long as it doesn’t go dry, we’re good, apparently. Odd the way they worded it. Usually manufacturers are very careful about stuff like that.

Ive seen that wording when the cap has a foam plug in it. "Add a couple drops to the foam..."

The idea is to keep the bulb from drying out. The cap is doubtless designed to trap the moisture from the solution. This is sufficient. Potassium chloride creep is a most interesting phenomenon. I think helium close to absolute 0 is the only other substance that exhibits it. You should replenish the storage solution from time to time because of the creep. Immersion will not, AFAIK, harm the bulb. I always store my electrodes with the bulb immersed and I've been getting 2 or more years life out of them.

What about cheap e-bay pH meters, do you think it is wort to buy storage solutions for them or it is simpler to buy new one from time to time?

I tend to avoid e-bay (there are just too many uncertainties) and cheap meters as well. I think you are better off buying a decent meter from a trusted supplier and treating it according to its manufacturers recommendations.

I was afraid of this answer, but the truth is painful... I"ll have to satisfied with this one until I decide to spend $120 on Hanna phep 5 (which is price in my country).

Back