How modified is Weyermann Pale Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mayday99

Reaction score
I will be brewing Ed Wort's Hefe tomorrow and was planning on doing a protein rest. I did single infusion last time and the head was not really where I wanted it, a bit clumpy and not as thick as I would have liked.

According to the Northern Brewer site, Weyermann Pale Wheat, which is what I will be using, is reccommended to have a protein rest. Is this because it is less modified than other malts?

I haven't done a protein rest before, but from what I have read whether or not you use one should really depend on how modified your malts are. I will also be using German Pilsner malt.

I was planning on doing 20 min @122 and 60 min @154, drain and batch sparge with no mashout.

Thoughts? Anyone have experience with the Weyermann Pale Wheat using a protein rest vs no protein rest?

Thanks!

I have done 10 to 15 minute rests around 131F for the wyerman floor malted bohemian pilsner and the wheat and got good results.

I have done 10 to 15 minute rests around 131F for the wyerman floor malted bohemian pilsner and the wheat and got good results.

Cool, any reason for the higher rest temp? This is my first protein rest and I was going by the 122 temp given to me in beersmith.

Cool, any reason for the higher rest temp? This is my first protein rest and I was going by the 122 temp given to me in beersmith.

I too do a protein rest at 133 with this malt. The main reason to do a protein rest at 122 is to produce more amino acid (a yeast nutrient) that undermodified malts lack....it is helps with the production of FAN (free amino nitrogen). Weyermann malts aren't undermodified, so you can do the protein rest at 133. That will make sure excess protien degredation won't occur.

This place is always a great bastion of knowledge. Thanks!

Will do 15 mins at 133.

The protein rest temp range according to Palmer is 113 to 131 and he notes that most people do one in the range of 120 to 130.

131 to 133 had worked well for me, resulting in easy lautering good eff and head retention

Back