To Drop or not to Drop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loomis02

Reaction score
I brewed a Marzen over the weekend w/ WLp820 now I'm Wondering what direction should I have followed, everything I read about brewing a Lager
says to pitch low and raise to fermentation temp. But on the WL label it says to pitch at room temp. and after fermentation starts Drop to 55 Deg.

Sounds backward to me,but they know there own yeast better than I do. I like to pitch low & let it rise over time with my ales. But that,od course,is another animal.

I did an Oktoberfest a while back with WLP820. I pitched low and let it rise to my fermentation temperature...came out great!

You pitch warm and drop when fermentation starts IF you're not making a starter. Pitching cold without a starter puts a lot of strain on the lager yeast and creates fruity off flavors.

But it's better to make a starter and aerate, and then pitch cold.

I did make a starter so I'm thinking now that's what I wish I would've done, I pitched at room temp. than droped, the fermentation is very active But I guess I will see what happens.

One more Question, I forgot to add my irish moss do you think it will clear the same after lagering? And Thanks for the feed backs.

I think it will clear up fine after lagering. Since you did pitch warm you will more than likely have quite a bit of esters in there. It is pretty common with lager yeast and was quite evident in mine, even after pitching low. Don't forget to do a diacetyl rest when your fermentation is about 75% done by slowly raising the temperature up to 65 over several days and then back down. This will really help to clean up those flavors. I tasted it before and after the rest and it's amazing how the flavor changed.

Back