What you Homebrewing? 3/2-3/4

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, although a lot of work, the extract-IPA (using 1.5g pre-boil of hop tea and 1.5g boil with extract and 7 hop additions) modelled after Walker's Kaduva IPA has been in the fermenter since 2PM. I rehydrated and pitched Safale 056 as opposed to using my flying dog (no time for a starter as the yeast didnt arrive until last night) vss wyeast. 5 hours later I'm at 20 bubbles per minute already. Hopefully this turns out pretty decent. The smell through the airlock is hoppppppps and I didn't even dryhop yet (waiting til secondary).

Looking forward to this one...

morning HBT

mashed in @ 715 am. Doing a quick Hefe, hopefully it will be done by the 28th.

52% wheat, 42 % Pilsner, 6% Dark Munich. And going with WLP 300 and a one time addition of hersbruckers

Got the Kolsch mashing right now. It's a beautiful day here in Austin. I'm looking forward to the boil out on the deck with a few cold ones.

Just got the Blackberry Sage Porter in the Primary, cleaned everything up and I'm on to my second batch of the day. Just mashed in on the Impact IPA.

SilkkyBrew said:
Let me know how this is. I am brewing something similar this weekend if all goes well...

I transferred the IPA yesterday, and tasted the hydrometer sample, and it already tastes great. Mind you, I was forced to substitute Spalt for Cascade, as Scotzin's was out of the latter when I went. I'll also be using Styrian Goldings for my dry hop, but I'm not there yet. At any rate, the color is a very nice copper, and I have big expectations for the final product. My FG was strangely high (1.020 from an OG of 1.060), which I can only attribute to my slightly higher-than-planned mash temperatures. Bollocks. Still, I have a feeling it's going to kick ass. I'm calling it Hoppy Easter Ale, as the 1-2-3 rule will land exactly on Easter Sunday.

ayrton said:
I transferred the IPA yesterday, and tasted the hydrometer sample, and it already tastes great. Mind you, I was forced to substitute Spalt for Cascade, as Scotzin's was out of the latter when I went. I'll also be using Styrian Goldings for my dry hop, but I'm not there yet. At any rate, the color is a very nice copper, and I have big expectations for the final product. My FG was strangely high (1.020 from an OG of 1.060), which I can only attribute to my slightly higher-than-planned mash temperatures. Bollocks. Still, I have a feeling it's going to kick ass. I'm calling it Hoppy Easter Ale, as the 1-2-3 rule will land exactly on Easter Sunday.

Sounds great. I had ordered 1/2lb. of Cascade to keep on hand, so I didn't run into that problem. :) So, I have the classic Walker Chinook, NB, and Cascade combo going on, although I brewed mine to about 50-55IBU, as opposed to Walker's 45ish.

I also used one extra oz. of cascade at flameout (and let sit in the kettle while cooling) and I'll also dryhop with the cascades for the last week of secondary (which is normal I think).

Anyway, mine is definitely copper as I used crystal 60L as opposed to 10L in Walker's recipe.

Finally, the gravity seems right on to me. When I put it into Beersmith (Walker's recipe verbatim) it showed an OG of 1.062. My brew turned out to be 1.060 on the dot when corrected for temperature. Should land around 6% ABV, which I think is perfectly acceptable for an IPA with 50-55ish IBU.

Anyway, smells nice and hoppy through the airlock, so I can't wait to get this one finished! Oh and I used the Safale 056. I was planning on using the flying dog VSS yeast I bought from AustinHB, but I didn't have time for a starter.

Latest posts

Back