I fear I'm losing Mt. Hood!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosox

Reaction score
I have two rhizomes growing in two seperate half whiskey barrels, a Mt. Hood and a Cascade. The Cascade is doing great, producing 2 shoots with one of them nearing 5 ft. tall and haven't had any problems with anything.

The Mt. Hoods however, haven't been so lucky! They've been attacked by bugs, and I've been spraying them now twice this past week, but I had to do some more leaf pruning because some of them were just too yellow and eaten and had bugs on the bottom side. Today though the only bine growing (which has seemed to stop at about 3 feet for a week now) has the top of it snapped off! There's no more bud growing at the top, it's just a cut bine....What should I do? Should I trim it back to the soil and let it grow again, or should I do nothing, or cut it a little lower? The plant seems to be in need of something, as it was the first to sprout and originally the strongest/tallens of the hops. Now it appears to be dying!

2 side arms should start growing just below the broken tip. When they get long enough, train one of those on the string and cut off the other.

I have two rhizomes growing in two seperate half whiskey barrels, a Mt. Hood and a Cascade. The Cascade is doing great, producing 2 shoots with one of them nearing 5 ft. tall and haven't had any problems with anything.

The Mt. Hoods however, haven't been so lucky! They've been attacked by bugs, and I've been spraying them now twice this past week, but I had to do some more leaf pruning because some of them were just too yellow and eaten and had bugs on the bottom side. Today though the only bine growing (which has seemed to stop at about 3 feet for a week now) has the top of it snapped off! There's no more bud growing at the top, it's just a cut bine....What should I do? Should I trim it back to the soil and let it grow again, or should I do nothing, or cut it a little lower? The plant seems to be in need of something, as it was the first to sprout and originally the strongest/tallens of the hops. Now it appears to be dying!

Pretty much having the same problem here. (Charlotte, NC) First year hops, first year hop grower, so this is all new to me. I'm testing to see if its a nitrogen deficiency. If not it may be a mildew problem :(

Not sure if i should trim...

Well, I did read that Cascades are disease ressistant and are in general very easy to grow, hardy hops. Whereas the Mt. Hoods are somewhat disease suseptible and usually aren't recommended to first year growers xP

Well, I just hope it survives. I really like Mt. Hoods, and I got them SPECIFICALLY for the taste, possibly dry hopping for a few IPA's.

My Mt. Hoods have been a big disappointment also. I got maybe a pound of hops last year from my second year Cascade, and it looks like this year will be at least as much. But the Hood gave me no more than a few flowers, maybe a half ounce dry weight ;ast year, and barely any flowers yet this year either.

My Mt Hoods haven't been too vigorous in getting started. I'm seeing better growth from the Willamettes, Goldings, and Centennials. The various web sites list this as a disease resistant strain, but they seem to be fussier growers here.

I'm curious to hear how everybody's Mt Hood plants are doing this year. I too planted some last year (2010), and they barely grew. This year though, they are growing like crazy... check out the size of these leaves!

Just this past weekend, I even noticed a new shoot coming up about 2 feet from the original plant. I made a brief blog post about them here - Mt Hood Hops: year 2

Mine continue to grow like weeds but produce few if any flowers. My Cascades are almost ready to start harvesting (maybe in a couple of weeks) but the Mount Hoods are just climbing the trellis and enjoying the sun.

First year grower here. My Mt.Hoods are the most vigorous plants in my garden. Willamette's are the second biggest, then Centennial, followed by Nugget.

It's interesting because I had similar experiences with 1st year Mt Hood. I had one bine get up to around 3 feet a few weeks ago and then just for no obvious reason, that bine wilted and died. The rest of the plant appears fine and intact. Very finicky compared to other hop plants I have. I have 1 of each....Chinook with huge leaves 5 feet. Hallertau approx 8 ft. Centennial 2 ft, Kent Goldings 2 ft. Cascade 11 ft, Northern Brewer 6 ft. and my struggling Mt Hood which is around 20 inches now. All have the same soil/manure/ratio/composition. So who knows.

beerloaf

Mine continue to grow like weeds but produce few if any flowers. My Cascades are almost ready to start harvesting (maybe in a couple of weeks) but the Mount Hoods are just climbing the trellis and enjoying the sun.

ditto word for word

Back