Mescal Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superkabuto

Reaction score
Most of you are probably not aware that mescaline can be obtained legally by purchasing certain cacti which contain the drug but are legal. One of such cacti is the San Pedro cactus (Trichocereus pachanoi) The drug needs to be extracted from the plant, and this is typically accomplished by chopping it up and boiling it to make a mescal tea.

And so it occured to me, might it be fun to add the mescal tea to beer? The pure connoisseuers of flvor won't like this idea, but maybe some of the younger, wilder brewers might take interest. I would love for someone to do this and tell me how it went. I have two small children and so I can't really do this. The cacti tend to be a tad expensive, and so small batches would probably be most appropriate.

Opinions? Questions?

i'm not going to publicly share how much experience i may or may not have with this stuff, but from what i understand, alcohol reduces the effects of psychedelics; at the same time, alcohol could potentiate bad physiological interactions and therefore increase the health risks associated with consuming many drugs. It's also likely that many psychedelics would break down in solution and this would reduce their shelf life. also, force carbing with nitrous oxide is a total waste, the route of administration is incompatible.

dry-hemping totally works though, tons of threads on this board and elsewhere about that.

Beer was illegal once too, and still is in some places. Prohibition in general is just one of those phases that immature societies go through before they grow up and get over it already.

QUOTE=Beyowka;2029208]i'm not going to publicly share how much experience i may or may not have with this stuff, but from what i understand, alcohol reduces the effects of psychedelics; at the same time, alcohol could potentiate bad physiological interactions and therefore increase the health risks associated with consuming many drugs. [/QUOTE]

Yea, I haven't actually tried this. I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt. But, if I remember correctly from my younger partying days, having a beer while on psychedelics wasn't a big deal.

Dry hopping with pot is an interesting idea. Though I'd need some convincing to dump an ounce of high quality weed into my beer :D

Technically this is illegal, so really isn't appropriate for discussions here. (yes, I know, San Pedro is legal, preparing it to make it active is illegal. Kind of questionably illegal, but still more something that belongs on a mescal board than here)

I had hoped this thread was referencing Mezcal beer (that is pulque) as I've been interested in that and have seen very few references to it.

I'd also agree that san pedro beer would be a poor idea, alcohol and mescaline both induce vomiting and the synergy between the two would not be a good thing.

if I remember correctly from my younger partying days, having a beer while on psychedelics wasn't a big deal.

i'm not saying it wouldn't work at all, and i agree that the boilerplate risk blurb may be overblown but I also have my doubts that the additions would add anything positive to the beer in terms of flavor, etc. - properties that could be perceived independently of the mental effects - and taking the drugs separately works and is much simpler and cheaper and safer. in my opinion...

Dry hopping with pot is an interesting idea. Though I'd need some convincing to dump an ounce of high quality weed into my beer :D

Solution: smaller batches. my project for this summer is to run a few single hop IPAs this summer to illustrate the differences between the hops for a tasting panel. For each batch, I plan to take the first half of the batch from primary and force carb straightaway for bottling for the hops tasting panel, then for the second half of the batch I will try some experimentation in secondary; dry hopping, chile adds, filtration, etc. One of these sub-batches could include dry-hemping, and in this case, if I'm dry-hemping with less than a whole batch, I wouldn't be using a whole ounce. plus this would allow to use different varieties; i imagine that hazes and skunks would be better for certain beers and kushes would be better for others. If I had four growlers and four different kinds of kind, I could mix and match to see what works best, and how much of an addition would be appropriate. Also, maybe kif or hash works better, who knows. This sort of experimentation could get expensive quick, even where I live, but I am fairly certain that the price is only going down, especially for anyone that can legally produce their own supply.

One note; in the past I had a similar notion, and took some trim off a grower friend's hands, basically just stuffed a bagfull in a corny and racked some high test beer on it. Found out the hard way that the chlorophyll thing really is an issue, and one must be very diligent to make sure there's no foliar feeding residue or other contamination.

Another note: i acknowledge that mescal is not mescaline, thread title is misleading. Nothing illegal about mescal beer, as far as i know, and actually, being a tequila fan, i would imagine this could be pretty good. not going there today though.

In the event this thread gets shut down by those who choose to assess the legal risks of such discussion more conservatively (as is their right), feel free to PM me and we can take it offlist.

Interesting. I had no idea that people were really into putting pot in their beer. What do you mean be a chlorophyll problem? What is foliar feeding residue? And the desired effect is taste only, it seems? Not the psychoactive properties?

"Brain Death" is a famous story about herbed beer from way back, there's also a couple of books written about it.

The chlorophyll problem came from using leaves and stems instead of buds, in which case the vegetative-matter-to-active-ingredient ratio was undesirably high, no pun intended. it smelled more like wet grass than anything floral or musky. very disappointing.

foliar feeding is when a weak fertilizer is sprayed directly on the plant, to be absorbed directly. it has its pros and cons i guess. i didn't know about it too much either, until the "unpleasantness"

the desired effects would include mainly mental but also very much aroma. pot when used in baked goods gets a nutty flavor, and the hemp seed used in ales gives that nutty flavor too, but if buds were used to dry-hemp a beer, i don't think the flavor would really be desirable.

My guess would be that if one was so inclined, one would want to grind up the herbs very finely to maximize aromas and exposure, add to secondary for only a short time - long enough to get the oils into solution, but not long enough to leach out the chlorophyll from the plant material - then filter out.

Remember also that whereas beers has ales and lagers, cannabis has indica and sativa, very distinct categories, so the options for matching has a lot of interesting possibilities.

sorry to threadjack

Soapbox alert: What's interesting to me is that even though it's illegal almost everywhere, there are probably as many cannabis forums as there are homebrew forums, and it's not surprising to see additional similarities - there's the ordinary people will buy whatever mass market junk gets them through the day, but then there will always be that 1% who actually care enough to get all geeky about it, to build their own rigs and make their own recipes and experiment and put their own effort and ingenuity behind it. it's really the explorative and creative aspects that makes it happen for me and a lot of other people, and it is my opinion that it is fundamentally unjust that the 1% are legally enjoined from that pursuit of happiness, whatever the BS reasons may be. Cheers to that changing for the better sooner than later.

didn't take long to find a link to a homebrew section of a popular cannabis forum
https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=107

Soapbox alert: What's interesting to me is that even though it's illegal almost everywhere, there are probably as many cannabis forums as there are homebrew forums, and it's not surprising to see additional similarities - there's the ordinary people will buy whatever mass market junk gets them through the day, but then there will always be that 1% who actually care enough to get all geeky about it, to build their own rigs and make their own recipes and experiment and put their own effort and ingenuity behind it. it's really the explorative and creative aspects that makes it happen for me and a lot of other people, and it is my opinion that it is fundamentally unjust that the 1% are legally enjoined from that pursuit of happiness, whatever the BS reasons may be. Cheers to that changing for the better sooner than later.

didn't take long to find a link to a homebrew section of a popular cannabis forum
https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=107

Dude, that forum looks awsome! Really, I couldn't agree with you more. :mug: But I think SWMBO might really complain if I started that as a hobby!

I know the govt. does monitor some things, but really, the internet is still the wild west. Which is great for people who want to explore those kinds of things but couldn't get away with it in real life.

Latest posts

Back