Ok I give...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mose

Reaction score
I have read so many threads on here I can't remember or find the one I'm looking for, can anybody point me the right way?

I'm looking for projected boil times as they relate to electric elements. I'm trying to decide on element size for my Brutus 20e plans. I've noticed that once you venture over the 30amp range everything gets way more expensive like "boat bucks" expensive.

So I want to see if it's worth moving up or not. I don't do 10gal boils yet, (typical 5gal) but I also said I would be happy with extract and my turkey fryer, and now I'm here, thanks largely in part to you guys (read some sarcasm but much more appreciation). I don't want to short myself now for something I'll want/need later.

I know I've read the posts regarding BTUs needed and how it's calculated but I can't find it. I already searched boil times, and the like and re-read a lot of posts but am coming up blank.

Thanks, Cheers

I don't have the link, I don't have a chart, or exact data for you. I do have my experiece with my electric system. I use a Keggle with a 4500w element (240vac) and I can tell you that I bring 13gl of room temp (~68°F) to a boil in about 20-25mins at full blast. Leaving it at full blast for a 60min boil I lose about 3+gl to evaporation. I just now finished a PWM control for the keggle so I'll be able to dial the power down once it reaches boil. This will cut down on my crazy boil off and resulting steam room garage.

BTW, I too was "happy" with 5g extracts but it's nice to be able to do the occassional 10g batch. Now I seem to do them more often than before. If you even think you'll ever want to do a 10g batch you might as well just be ready for it. </ 2&#8373;>

Basically for a BK you'll need a dedicated 240 outlet or two 120 outlets on separate citcuits.

Max you can go on a standard house household outlet is a 1500W Element on a 15A outlet or a 2000W Element on a 20A. You could definitely boil with two 1500W or 2 2000W elements together but need to make sure the two outlets you're using are on separate breakers with basically nothing else running on them at that time. Getting into the 240V 50A stuff is where stuff get's expensive, but, IMO, is what is needed for teh convenience of electric brewing. You're going to eventaully want to add a pump, want to be able to to run your 1500-2000W HLT element at the same time as your boil kettle for sparging or even cleaning? All while running a pump or two?
Like you said, you used to be happy with 5G extract. You're going this far, you're most likely going to want pumps and since you're doing it, do it all and do it right the first time.
This is from psuedo experience. I'm currently gathering parts and electric upgrades in the garage for an electric rig. I jumped in at the beginning buying parts. I currently have a wired ranco controller that is already obsoleted from my system design before it's even been used :)

I have a spread sheet that someone sent me that calculates all the times, energy and such. You could get me your e-mail and I can send it? Unless there is another way to do it through HBT?

Mario

You may be able to do a file attach right here. Click Manage Attachments, then select it via BROWSE. Might not work depending on file size and with being a non supporting member.

*edit* doesn't appear XLS format will work. You would have to zip it first.

You may be able to do a file attach right here. Click Manage Attachments, then select it via BROWSE. Might not work depending on file size and with being a non supporting member.

*edit* doesn't appear XLS format will work. You would have to zip it first.

could host it at mediafire for free or make a free dropbox

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

I would be happy with 20-25min boil for 13 gal, that's awesome, I was thinking 5500watts but that might be a little overkill now.

You guys are dead on, I'm going 240v, pulling one to the garage and one in the basement. Planning on dual pumps, heating will be PID controlled and maybe a RIMS with PID controll as well if I can't maintain temps during the mash without it.

Every time I open one of these threads I find myself getting sucked deeper and deeper. Only question is where's the bottom?

I have a spread sheet that someone sent me that calculates all the times, energy and such. You could get me your e-mail and I can send it? Unless there is another way to do it through HBT?

Mario

PM Sent. Thanks for the info.

I have a 5500W heater element and i think it works great for 10 gallon batches. The faster you can bring the wort to boil, the better.

I'd go wih the dedicated 50 amp circuit as well.... the stuff isn't that expensive.

$80 for a 50 amp gfci spa panel
$30 for 6/4 romex
$15 for a 50 amp receptacle
$15 for a50 amp plug

Thanks but I just want everyone to know that I didn't create that spread sheet. My knowledge of Excel is limited to opening files and adding data, But I'm glad you guys found it handy. I just don't want to take credit away from who ever the original creator was.

Thanks

Mario

Back