Let's Talk about Muriatic acid...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesy

Reaction score
So I was up to the farm a few weeks ago and found a couple of nastied up gallon glass jugs in the bottom of one of the barns that used to contain sani for our old milk parlor - by old I mean ~65+ years ago. Soaked them in oxyclean for a few days and when scrubbed with a small brush, just appeared to scratch the surface on 60+ year old crud... so after some research, soaked them with muriatic acid (HCl). They look shiny and almost clean as new. My ? is is there any sort of film or "leftovers" i need to worry about. I washed them plenty with fresh tap water and followed diluting procedure before pouring down drain. I will soak again with oxy and rinse a TON before using. I plan on using these for yeast starters and for small batch wine/beer tests.

First off, I don't think you need to worry about any film/residue if you extensively washed your bottles after cleaning with muriatic acid. The HCL should be diluted easily and washed away. Concentrated NaOH can etch glass over time, FYI.

I found your video highly amusing/somewhat scary. It was to warn the viewer about the dangers of muriatic acid, yet you were wearing no gloves (handling Al foil soaked in muriatic acid bare-handed), no respirator (I heard you coughing from the fumes), and opening the bottle of concentrated muriatic acid one-handed (spill hazard).

Sorry to be a safety nazi, but maybe you should listen to your own advice. Maybe you should consider treating it with some respect before lecturing the rest of us to do so.

Please don't think I writing this just to be an a-hole, I just don't want anyone getting hurt. You are right as this stuff really is nasty stuff.

Please don't think I writing this just to be an a-hole, I just don't want anyone getting hurt. You are right as this stuff really is nasty stuff.

yeah no kidding , I mean you didn't even wear gloves to turn the aluminum over.

I've used Muriatic acid at home. I've got hardwater, and all of my toilet drain holes around the rim were plugged. I was going to replace all of them and decided to try cleaning them with this. I turned off the water, put saran wrap on the toilet opening. PUlled the tank cover off. (the water was drained) , Then poure a couple of cups down the flap hole. Waited about 15 minutes , turned water back on and toilet were good as new.

I used all availabe protection and opened window in bathroom and shut the doors.

Yes - you are right about my oversight on the gloves/safety things in trying to get some vid. What's the saying, do as i say, not as i do - it most definitely applies here.

Safety who needs safety. I just make sure I have safety meeting before doing anything dangerous.;)

Way to kill a thread. I think he was trying to start a conversation on how it works and what to expect. Instead he got a third grade lecture. We all cut corners when we do things. Those of you who live in a plastic bubble might want to calm down a bit before thrusting your alarming attitudes at people.

I use acid to etch circuit boards. You should be fine with rinsing your bottles out with water. muriatic acid is fairly safe after a good rinse. I regularly handle my circuit boards with bare hands after a quick rinse. Never burned any holes through my hands. I also tend not wear all the safety stuff when using it. I do however wear gloves.........Though I have taken my chain guard off of my bike and took the do not remove safety stickers off of my ATV. Ohhh the horror!

I dont think we would have said anything if he wasn't the one that was talking about saftey to begin with, of course he's edited it now. We were just pointing out how contradictory his video was to his post:drunk: :D

Safety who needs safety. I just make sure I have safety meeting before doing anything dangerous.;)

Way to kill a thread. I think he was trying to start a conversation on how it works and what to expect. Instead he got a third grade lecture. We all cut corners when we do things. Those of you who live in a plastic bubble might want to calm down a bit before thrusting your alarming attitudes at people.

I use acid to etch circuit boards. You should be fine with rinsing your bottles out with water. muriatic acid is fairly safe after a good rinse. I regularly handle my circuit boards with bare hands after a quick rinse. Never burned any holes through my hands. I also tend not wear all the safety stuff when using it. I do however wear gloves.........Though I have taken my chain guard off of my bike and took the do not remove safety stickers off of my ATV. Ohhh the horror!

If you read my post you would have seen I answered his question FIRST before pointing out that he wasn't safely handling muriatic acid in his video. But thanks for chiming in after the fact and reiterating what I had already told him. :rolleyes:

B, I insist on seeing this video! I've used it lots to clean steel of tools and etch concrete. Isn't it used to clean glassware in labs? Or is that sodium something?

Congrats on getting the glass jugs cleaned. Always nice to pick up new brew supplies for free. As others have mention muriatic acid will easily rinse away with water. No residue to worry about all.

:off:
B, I insist on seeing this video! I've used it lots to clean steel of tools and etch concrete. Isn't it used to clean glassware in labs? Or is that sodium something?

Both:
1-4M Hydrochloric acid to strip metal containing business.
Sodium hydroxide in isopropanol or ethanol to dissolve nasty organic bits.

Nothing get's glassware shinier than an overnight soak in a strong sodium hydroxide solution. :D

Just an FYI I edited my own post because I was tired of the "lecture" type vibe I was getting. I was simply advising others to be careful, partly because of the way I was handling it. People play follow the leader all the time then try to come back on the person they originally saw doing it when something goes awry. I was simply trying to alleviate any responsibility on my end. No I didn't have gloves on, but I obviously could tell better than you where I poured the acid on the foil from a first person perspective. Still safe? That's your own opinion. No I wasn't wearing a respirator because I was outside, a well ventilated area in my opinion. Yes I inhaled a little of the fume from the burning foil. The fume was from the foil, not the acid, and it didn't hurt your lungs any, but I appreciate the concern. As far as the "what if some kid" comment from JesseRC, could have done without that. Opinions are like a-holes though, everyone's got one.

Back