Fixing my gas trimmer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
I have an inexpensive Homelite gas weed trimmer that fell over and the plastic choke lever broke off. It's only about 4 years old and the motor works fine. It probably hasn't even been run for more than an hour in the time I've had it. Even though a new one is probably only $79.95 I don't want to just throw it out.

Anyway, this cheap part is all plastic and has a shaft about the diameter of the q-tip shaft. It snapped off flush with the housing that it sits in. It doesn't look as though trying to super glue it would work.

What I'm thinking is trying to find some way to jerry rig it. You have to be able to set it on 1, pull the starter cord a couple of times, then set it on 2 and start it. Once it warms up, then you turn it to 3. Some sort of a screw would probably work, but where could I find a screw that's really small, but with a big head?

Otherwise, if I could put some sort of a re-inforcment inside the shaft- a very thin rod of some sort, that might work, too. The thing is really small, though, so drilling holes that size would be tricky.

Any ideas?

You say it is flush with the housing. My first question would be, can you get inside the housing or remove the housing. It might make the whole thing easier. JB Weld or some other type of epoxy would also be strong enough to hold the choke lever on if you still have it. It really doesn't get put under much stress until it gets dropped like that.

The shaft you see is probably just a screw itself. Remove the housing and investigate.

+! You gots ta get in there and start digging around! That's how you git sht done!

Seriously, if you can take the housing off (very simple in my experience) you stand a much better chance of rigging up an extension, or replacing the shaft with new.

Have you looked for replacement parts? Something like that is likely to cost around $5. Check local listings for small engine repair shop.

or, take pics and some of the more experienced DIYers around here will come up with all sorts of creative fixes!

I haven't had a chance to work on this yet. Maybe this weekend.

The screw-eye suggestion could be a good one, but it might be hard to get at it to turn it. I think I need some sort of an extension to attach to the screw-eye.

Taking the thing apart doesn't seem too promising. The chock lever is in a small metal housing. I don't know if I can get it apart.

I'd drill a hole in the center of the stem...about the diameter of coat hanger wire...then bend a 1" piec of coat hanger wire in the shape of an "L"...and put epoxy on one end...slide it in the stem. The bent over arm will be your new knob for turning it on/off...

Use a little sandpaper on the wire before putting epoxy on it to help it get a grip...

along those lines as chuggs, but I would use an Allen Wrench, drill out the hole, jam the short end in with Epoxy, and cut the long side to length.

should be able to find a cheap single allen wrench somewhere: Hardware store, neighbors tool box, etc.

The allen wrench will be stronger and more substantial....

the thing with the gas powered trimmers and me is, once it runs out of string, or i run out of the half gallon of pre-mix, i convert the yard back to 'meadow' status and call it a summer. ;)

Back