Got my water test results from the city today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shwagger

Reaction score
I got the annual water quality report for my city, and here it is. It's not the greatest scan, but click on it and it will zoom:

Imageshack - water0001.jpg

What does all this mean? I need some education so I can understand it. (ironically, I am a marine geologist major graduating in a year, gah!)

Man, I don't know. It seems like specific answers to a general question. It looks like nothing is a dangerous concentration. But, if there is fertilizer contamination, I think a filter might be a good idea. You can add the Radium and Uranium to your ingredient list;)

It looks like a typical water quality report that lists potential contaminant values with some other compositional elements but not all the points you need to really assess you water for AG is that's what you're looking for.

That is the same report that my city has. They had no clue what I was talking about with aethetics or secondary charecteristics of the water.

Has anyone found the magic words to get something better from small rural water departments?!@?!?

That is the same report that my city has. They had no clue what I was talking about with aethetics or secondary charecteristics of the water.

Has anyone found the magic words to get something better from small rural water departments?!@?!?

Ask specific questions. If you want to know turbidity, ask what the turbidity is.

I am really more interested in the basic characteristics that effect my brew, such as calcium, potassium and maganeseum. I repeatedly asked for this information from various people, finally talking with the head of the water plant, who was able to give me CaC03 (which I think is hardness on the calcium side), pH, alkalinity, and sodium (which is rated in parts per billion).

The idea that there is a report with this information collected in one place was completely foreign to them.

I am not sure that asking them about turbidity will get me (or anyone else dealing with this) any closer to clear answers. I was hoping for someone who had some experience getting the specifics that effect brewing water.

I am really more interested in the basic characteristics that effect my brew, such as calcium, potassium and maganeseum. I repeatedly asked for this information from various people, finally talking with the head of the water plant, who was able to give me CaC03 (which I think is hardness on the calcium side), pH, alkalinity, and sodium (which is rated in parts per billion).

The idea that there is a report with this information collected in one place was completely foreign to them.

I am not sure that asking them about turbidity will get me (or anyone else dealing with this) any closer to clear answers. I was hoping for someone who had some experience getting the specifics that effect brewing water.

My point wasn't about turbidity. My point was if you want to know pH, ask for pH. I guess you did that.

Yeah, I was trying to avoid the Ward Labs option as I am cheap.

And yes, I have read how to brew. It just seems that reports are standardized in a different way elsewhere in the country.

Nealf, did you go the Ward lab route, or did you get the info from the city?

That may help me in figuring out what I need to request. I got sick of being looked at like I had a third head... or was worried about growing a third head. City Hall was just freaked out that I was saying the water was bad. It took me 3 people to explain that I LOVE the water and drink it regularly and have no problems with the water etc.

Yeah, I was trying to avoid the Ward Labs option as I am cheap.

And yes, I have read how to brew. It just seems that reports are standardized in a different way elsewhere in the country.

Nealf, did you go the Ward lab route, or did you get the info from the city?

That may help me in figuring out what I need to request. I got sick of being looked at like I had a third head... or was worried about growing a third head. City Hall was just freaked out that I was saying the water was bad. It took me 3 people to explain that I LOVE the water and drink it regularly and have no problems with the water etc.

The water guy in my town used to manage water in St. Louis and he worked closely with the breweries so he was pretty awesome. I'm moving though, so I hope my next water guy is cool.

Sorry I cant get the rest to scan right, my scanner is old.

But I have been reading old newspaper articles and they have said "dont drink St. Petersburgs water, buy bottled water." lol. I think I will just stick with the $.89 gallons of spring water I can get. I dont want to invest in a filtration unit just as yet.

thanks for all the replies

Back