Porcelain Enamel Brew Pots?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve seen the debate of aluminum vs. stainless steel brew pots. In a few articles I've read of home brewers using porcelain enamel brew pots. Does anyone have any experience with porcelain enamel brew pots? Good, Bad, Indifferent?

The only thing I've heard on the negative side is that you have to be real careful about chipping - they can be pretty fragile, and you can get some rust if they do end up chipping.

I am still using one, though my keggle should be complete tonight!

Chipping is a danger. If it is chipped, it WILL rust, and you do not want that.

Also, since it is very thin, they can be prone to scorching. I turn the heat off when adding extract, and thoroughly mix before starting the boil again.

They work fine for extract brews, but thay are not big enough for full boils if you go all-grain.

I have an old one...its chipped, and a little rusty....I have never noticed any off flavours from the tiny rust spots. It was an economical choice - and should serve you well for partial boils. As Trule said, scorching is also a bit of a challenge..but not too bad if careful.

Cheers.

I use my canner as a second pot for AG (I use two pots so I can do AG in my apartment). No chips so far, but I am carefull. I have heard that it does not take much of a drop to chip them. Using one that is chiped is an awful big risk for the $20 it takes to replace it.

So what I'm thinking is that a 34 Qt. porcelain enamel brew pot will get me through several full 5.5 gallon extract boils, as long as I’m careful about chipping and scorching. Then I'll spend the big money on a SS pot when I move to AG and larger boils (which knowing myself is inevitable). Im sure I'll find it handy to have around even then.

Capt. Awesomest said:
So what I'm thinking is that a 34 Qt. porcelain enamel brew pot will get me through several full 5.5 gallon extract boils, as long as I’m careful about chipping and scorching. Then I'll spend the big money on a SS pot when I move to AG and larger boils (which knowing myself is inevitable). Im sure I'll find it handy to have around even then.

What's that going to cost? You might be able to get aluminum for a similar price

Capt. Awesomest said:

I wouldn't do this if your married... the possiblity of sleeping on the couch is pretty high here after a severe boilover.

Back