Slow Growth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mithion

Reaction score
I had a question about growth rate of hops. I planted some hop rhizomes a few weeks ago in two gallon pots. I was gonna wait for them to grow to a couple of feet before putting them in the ground, but as I live in Nevada and the summers can be somewhat blistering, I decided to go ahead and transplant them when they were only a couple of inches out of the ground to give them a chance to adapt before the summer heat wave. I got em planted in some nice manure and peat moss mix and got em hooked up to drip system. They get about a gallon of water in the morning before sunrise and a gallon after sundown. As far as sun goes, they get full sun from about 11 am to 6 pm. Yet since I transplanted them, they have been growing very slowly. They've only grown about 2 inches since I move them to ground two weeks ago. So I'm wondering if the slow growth rate is normal or am I doing something wrong? Besides the slow growth rate, they look healthy. All the leaves are bright green and I'm not seeing any curling up. Should I be worried?

No, when you transplanted most of the fine surface roots were damaged. They'll grow back.

Also, cold nights can slow growth. Don't know about Reno, but nights have been very cool here the last week.

Don't count on much if any this year, but if they get settled in and do OK this year, next year they should take off. I got a small harvest last year. This year, my only issue is keeping them on the trellis - they are spreading like wild fire.

Thanks for the information. It's going to be murder to wait until next year to brew some beer with fresh hops. But you do what you have to do for the sweet reward of fresh spicy hops.

Edit: My vines have started to grow a bit faster now. One of them is now close to 4' while the other broke 12'' in the last couple of days. I guess I just needed to wait a bit.

Well... I guess I got the newbie hop grower's impatience. As of august 9th, my willamette kicked the bucket and never broke the ground. But by two hallertauer a growing like mad. My longest one is over ten feet and the shortest of the two is around 8 feet. They both have a few cones now which just blew my mind. I was so surprised that the american variety never made it, but the german noble hops are growing like crazy in this blistering heat. Guess I was doing something right. I'll try again next spring with a new willamette and cascade rhizome cause those are suppose to grow really well in Reno as I've been told.

Latest posts

Back