Another BOOM!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksuflash

Reaction score
What a way to introduce myself...haha...but I got a big suprize when I returned home late last evening.

I decided to brew a Dutch "Abby" Double. The S.G. was 1.072

I pitched the yeast the evening before, and in the morning when I went to the conical fermenter, I didn't notice any action. Being that it had only been about 8 hours I thought nothing of it.

Returned home from work at 5pm, and I was doing the happy dance when I walked in the door and could just smell the brew working. I went to the fermenter and watched the air lock bubble for some time. Even had to waft some of that smell from the airlock over towards my nose.

Not thinking much of it, I left for the evening.

Boy was I wrong....

When I returned home, it looked as if a krausen bomb went off. It had plugged the airlock up, which then due too the inability of the gases escaping, it blew the top off the conical fermenter...

I had active foam rolling out the top of the fermenter, and then dropping to the kitchen floor...

Meanwhile, my dog has a happy look on his face, because he has probably been lapping up krausen....Little does the dog know he is gonna be crapping alot today if he did...

Needless to say the wife is none to happy about the green stains on the white walls in the kitchen...haha...

MMMMMM....BEEER.....haha..

You now have the perfect excuse to move your brewing into a dedicated space. Which means buying a keggle and a burning, which leads to AG and more brewing toys.

You see, that is how the slippery slope of brewing works - not that I would know anything about that.

Ahh the yeast bomb, something we all have experienced. It's hardest to get it off the cieling.

Back