Is this gluten free?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tampa911

Reaction score
Is the cider recipe from this thread gluten free? I have a friend that adheres to a gluten free diet and want to surprise her with some of this.

I will be omitting the campden tablets from the original recipe as I want it carbonated.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/caramel-apple-hard-cider-292770/

Ingredients, Part 1:
7 x 96 ounce bottles (5.25 gallons) Wegmans 100% Apple Juice, pasteurized, only vitamin C added
2 lbs. Dextrose
Nottingham Yeast

Ingredients, Part 2
5 – 12 oz. cans of Frozen Apple Juice Concentrate, thawed to room temperature
12 oz. Caramel Syrup

Recipe for Caramel Syrup:
2 cups of water
2 cups of light brown sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
Combine in a saucepan and bring to a boil. At boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes (until volume is reduced to half). Let cool & bottle for future use.

yes, I've made that cider before. It is excellent. I'm not familiar with Wegman's, but just check the apple juice and concentrate before using it. Should be okay though.

what I am checking the juice for? Just to see that it is 100% juice?

yeah basically that it is 100% juice. A while back someone posted a thing about a cider that had barley malt in the ingredients.... It is crazy the things they will put in well, anything. But yes, just make sure there is no wheat, rye or barley in the juice.

Back