Oring fell into full keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutcatcher413

Reaction score
I sanitized my corny keg with star san and stored it sealed with a plastic bag taped over the top. Last night I kegged my stout and after I removed the top and inserted the racking tube I heard a noise and thought nothing of it. Well when I went to put the top back on realized the noise I heard was the oring falling to the bottom if the keg. Will the keg lube cause any off flavors it was sanitized so I just put a new oring on and figures I'd fish it out when empty. Any thoughts will my beer be ok.

If you have another o-ring, toss it on and seal it up. I wouldn't be worried about keg lube personally.

If you really want to go after it, wash and StarStan up to your armpit and having a fishing expedition!

I honestly have no clue about the keg lube, but since it is food safe I'm guessing there shouldn't be much, if any flavor to it at all. Maybe some oils that would reduce head retention but that's just a wild guess.

Since everything is sanitized I doubt you'll have any issues with infection or spoilage. I'd personally do just what you did, toss another sanitized o-ring on and worry about the one that fell in when the keg is empty.

Thanks that what I assumed but seeing as I can still count on my fingers the number of batches I've brewed and this is only the second kegged batch and first all grain I figured I'd ask.

Back