are my kegs ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raf1919

Reaction score
so i'm new to kegging building up my system. Just picked up ball corny kegs off craiglist. I have 15lb co2 but haven't gotten my kit yet to hook up. however i mixed up starsan and pour into kegs. two of them if i turn upside down leak? if it leaks water will it leak gas? leak is around the lid itself.

Probably, you'll need to pressurize them with gas first to see if the seals are good. They will leak with no interior pressure forcing the gasket on the lid to the top of the keg.

I wouldn't worry about leaking kegs until you get some pressure put on them. Remember, these things have been in service for a long time. Another thing you should do is get a couple of o-ring kits for them. There are 5 o-rings that will dry out over time. They need to be replaced every couple of years. Most people selling kegs will have reconditioned them i.e. they are clean and have new o-rings installed.

You should replace all the O rings and if if still leaks, you can apply some lube like Vaseline to the o rings.

ok thanks guys.. makes me feel better. i'm waiting on my kit to run some pressure to them. guy i bought them on craiglist is seller he had like 40 in his garage said they all came w/ new seals and pressurized.

i had the waiting on parts!!!

i'll go drink a beer and calm down now.

ok thanks guys.. makes me feel better. i'm waiting on my kit to run some pressure to them. guy i bought them on craiglist is seller he had like 40 in his garage said they all came w/ new seals and pressurized.

i had the waiting on parts!!!

i'll go drink a beer and calm down now.

I agree with the information presented in your thread!

Get you some o-ring kits and replace all of the o-rings in your keg.

Back