Cleaning Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msppilot

Reaction score
I am just wondering what techniques everyone is using to clean their bottles. I currently use Oxy Clean and a brush to clean each bottle. I then rinse them out with hot water before sanitizing. This method works, but is slow. Just curious what others are doing?

I am just wondering what techniques everyone is using to clean their bottles. I currently use Oxy Clean and a brush to clean each bottle. I then rinse them out with hot water before sanitizing. This method works, but is slow. Just curious what others are doing?

That's how I deal with bottles that have not been in my pipeline.

After I've bottled with them and enjoyed the brew I make sure to rinse each out with hot water, put on bottle tree and just use starsan in a vinator on the next bottling day.

bosco

el_horno said:
dishwasher, then they take a star san bath prior to bottling.

Do you use normal dish soap in the dishwasher? I am always afraid of bot getting all the soap out.

I do a hot water rinse, soak in hot Oxy bath/cooler, then one more hot water rinse. After that, a couple shots of Starsan prior to bottling and I haven't had any issues.

I also soak new (recycled commercial) bottles in Oxyclean to remove the labels and any gunk in there.

Afterward I use a bottle washer on the kitchen faucet to rinse out the bottles after use then store them. On bottling day I check the bottles and either wash them again with the bottle washer and a brush or just sanitize them using Starsan in my Vinator.

Do you use normal dish soap in the dishwasher? I am always afraid of bot getting all the soap out.

Yea normal soap. The dunks in the star san will take care of anything left over prior to botteling.

After I've bottled with them and enjoyed the brew I make sure to rinse each out with hot water, put on bottle tree and just use starsan in a vinator on the next bottling day.

Same here, although I rinse mine out before I sanitize, as I store them in the basement where they get exposed to dryer lint.

Freshly emptied, labeled bottles go in a 7 gallon bucket with Oxyclean. When the bucket is full the labels have basically fallen off and are then moved to a 55 gallon drum with a dilute bleach solution. Any that have no labels go straight to the drum. The day before bottling 50 are removed and rinsed. Bottle day they are rinsed with Starsan and filled.

Pretty similar to your method but I don't rinse before sanitizing.

New (or neglected) bottles go into an oxyclean bath (labels, dirt), brush them out (if required), rinse with real hot water and stick them on the tree. Once dry I store them in the cardboard cases they came in. I put a double layer of paper towel in the bottom to soak up any final drips and stick the bottles in upside down. I've lost a couple of bottles doing this through clumsiness but only had one that I couldn't get clean. When I started home brewing I got a bunch of empty bottles from some family members. Some of them looked pretty sketchy (bottles not family members) but oxyclean and elbow grease got them all sparkling, except one. I don't know what it was down there (tar?) but it defeated me and the bottle found a new home in the recycling bin.

For my bottles that already have homebrew in them I just rinse with hot water and drain on the tree before putting them back in their boxes. The key is to do this as soon as possible, right after the bottle is emptied is best.

On bottling day I just sanitize the inside of the bottle and the top of the neck using a star-san in a bottle washer and then drain on the tree. I don't rinse before sanitizing because the bottles are clean and since they are stored upside down nothing can fall into them.

I'm super lazy. I just load them into the dishwasher (with normal dish soap) and run it. Take straight from the dishwasher once finished and bottle and cap. Done. Never, ever, in 8 years of brewing have I ever had a problem with soap in the bottle or head retention or anything. Of course I keg now, cause it's even easier than bottling.

The only reason that I rinse after bleach and before sanitize is the bleach residue. I know that starsan will get rid of it but it's a small price to pay to protect the flavor of the contents.

dishwasher, then they take a star san bath prior to bottling.

This except i used a vitner to spray starsan up inside, then shake it out and bottle...which pushes all the starsan foam out. I would never get bleach near my bottles. Im already skeptical enough using Oxyclean and leaving off flavors/scents in my bottles.

I use the "overkill" method

no matter if they've been used in the pipeline or not

Oxyclean bath.

hot water rinse

Sanitation mode on dishwasher

then starsan soak at bottling time.

For new (recycled) bottles I soak in Oxyclean til lables are effectively off then using an old battery powered toothbrush I give them a good scrubbing with Oxyclean to be sure all remaining glue is gone. Dishwasher on High Heat and Sanitize then bottle tree. Starsan bath just before bottling, no problems!

I just use growlers and 22oz bombers to bottle but I'll fill up a huge bucket with Starsan and let them take turns soaking.

Back