Gluhbier - Thoughts/Recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taypo

Reaction score
Spent a couple years in Germany and one of my favorite things about winter was Gluhwein. Basically a couple bottles of red wine, reheated with a bunch of mulling spices in the boil.

While brewing our latest, we started trying to figure out a modified recipe for gluhbier but still not quite confident in it. I'd love to hear some thoughts/recommendations on what we're thinking.

6-7 LBS EXTRA LIGHT DME
2 LBS Organic Brown Sugar

Hops to be determined...

Dried Mulling Spices at flameout and moved to primary with wort.

Going with 8 lbs of Extra Pale LME, 1.33lbs of Crystal 75 and some Calypso at 60 mins. Skipping the brown sugar, as we dont want it to be super dry. Going with an oz of the mulling spices at flameout.

I used to drink that stuff around x-mas with neighbor, I think I remember them fortifying with brandy.

Ended up going with:

2.5G boil
8 lbs Extra Pale (1/2 at 60, 1/2 at 15)
1 cup brown sugar at 15
1 oz Calypso at 45mins
.5 oz Williamette at 15 minutes
1 oz Mulling Spices (whole, not ground) at 15 minutes in grain bag
Safale US-04

Topped off in fermenter, transferred grain bag to primary as well. It looks like its going to end up more amber than our previous beers, pretty excited about it so far.

So we brewed this a few weeks back and unfortunately, the cinnamon has completely overpowered the rest of the spices. Beautiful, clear ale but way strong. Debating on brewing up a batch of apple creme ale or something similar and creating a mixed beer with them. Any thoughts?

Actually, this beer is coming around. Bottled in 22's, its mellowing quite nicely. We've been sampling a bottle every couple months and its getting better. Should be a really nice cold weather beer - great nose, excellent head and crystal clear. The cinammon is still there, but its playing much better with others now. If you dont mind letting it age for a year or so, go with the recipe posted. If you're looking for something with a faster turnaround, maybe cut all the spices way down.

I dont know about heating it, not sure how that would go with the carb but it might be worth a try...

Back