leaky keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oshea3333

Reaction score
I recently transfered a belgian trippel into a corny keg after 3 1/2 weeks in primary. i didnt have a carboy free so i transfered to a corny keg. This was a new idea to do one transfer as a secondary and not expose the beer to O2 when going from secondary to serving keg.
The problem is that i tested the keg under pressure before the transfer and it held pressure. I transfered and sealed the keg, applied low presure to seal the keg and left it. the next day the keg had lost all presure. Will this oxidize, harm my beer. I re-pressurized and have been doing so every day. What do you think?

Where is the leak? Get some foam on there and find out. Use some food-grade o-ring gel and try to seal it up again, then purge with CO2.

It's relatively short exposure, so I don't think it's going to terribly affect anything.

When your CO2 leaked out it essentially pushed all O2 out, leaving a small amount of CO2 in your keg, all is fine, you will need to fix that keg somehow though

i filled it then turned the gas off. i didnt want to carbonate it yet just seal so it could settle in a "secondary", i was going to leave it there for a month or so then force carb it. I have heard abou tthis keg gel lately is this something im supposed to be using along with new O rings?

I have heard abou tthis keg gel lately is this something im supposed to be using along with new O rings?

Changing the o-rings (if they are old) and using keg lube on the o-rings is a good idea to maintain a proper seal.

What PSI are you using? Is it completely losing all pressure, or is it just less pressure than before?

All of the C02 should not get absorbed into the solution. The pressure should generally want to equalize between the liquid and the headspace, so you'll be able to bleed off what seems like less pressure than before for a non-carbed keg. I too give one dose of low psi to a keg that will be stored (before carbing) and i have been able to bleed off at least a little bit of pressure each time after one, two weeks.

Edmanster, I think, is right on the money with this issue...

here is an update. I think the belgian is ok. i kegged it yesterday. It tasted good. we will see after it carbonates.

This has been the batch from hell. had problems transfering between kegs. it was the first time i have done it. The beer has earned the name
three strikes trippel... one more strike and i would have thrown it out for spite

Back