Grr, UPS cancelled my brew :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squeeky

Reaction score
Well I had intentions to brew tomorrow, however UPS canceled the brew. I ordered new stainless 3-pieces to finish my eBrewery from Austin homebrew. Austin was great got the tracking information same day. Reading their web page it gave UPS arrive of 2 days. Shipped on Tuesday, that is awesome here Thursday or Friday. . . . NOPE.

Checking tracking info, gave expected delivery of today and on time. Even had a note for ups to leave in shade, as it contained yeast. After no delivery I go to check tracking.

San Pablo, CA, United States 08/12/2011 12:41 P.M. Arrival Scan
Austin, TX, United States 08/09/2011 10:17 P.M. Departure Scan
08/09/2011 7:37 P.M. Origin Scan
08/09/2011 6:02 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

So according to this, my package sat at Ups for 72hrs without moving. Not only that when it does 3 days later it's going the wrong direction.

I'll probably have bad yeast as it will be at least 2 days since no Sat delivery. Again nothing against Austin they got out same day and had the best prices on 3-piece valves. A small request and they were on sale in a few days, they really listen to their customers. I'm also in retail and really appreciate good customer service.

If only UPS kept on their game I'd be brewing tomorrow.

Actually, it says it took 72 hours for it to get from Tx to California. Not that it didn't move. Note "departure" and "arrival". As to why it is going to CA instead of a processing facility closer to OH? God only knows. One of the many reasons I do not use UPS.

Yeah I had been refreshing tracking info in frustration. Try updated the tracking info, has a scheduled delivery now of 8/17, those 2 days are now 8. Granted there is a weekend but this sucks. I brew off site due to living in a condo, even took a vacation day to brew my what would be finished if I made the trip.

I have been shipping beer (contests) since 2003 with no problems.

Except first shipment got broken (my fault), then some squirrely girl called me from UPS and said it was illegal to ship beer with them

I told her nicely, FYVM, and have had no problems at all.

At 24 pounds it wasn't cheap to ship. I got free shipping so I let austin know in case they can claim some from u p s

It was sent to California when it should have gone to Chicago.. It however is a ground package, with no time commitment.. Had it been 1, 2, or 3 day, they would refund if it was not in that window.. Ground however has no time guarantee...

That sucks. I'm pissed myself right now over an amazon.com book order. 4 books, all in-stock and sold direct by Amazon. Order placed.

order then sits 5 days, and finally ships...USPS. Ok, fine...I can cope.
Package goes out for delivery today...USPS won't leave it without a signature, so now I have to go to the post office tomorrow and pick it up.

W T F! No wonder USPS is quickly going under. UPS is better, but not by much. FedEx is my current favorite, as they've made it easy to re-route a package to a FedEx store for pickup at a reasonable hour, right up the street from my house. Very handy when I ordered 15 bottles of wine last month!

Sucks to be you!

On a brighter note, UPS just dropped off a package containing some homebrew supplies that I didn't order, so life is good!

Good luck with yours!

FedEx is my current favorite, as they've made it easy to re-route a package to a FedEx store for pickup at a reasonable hour, right up the street from my house. Very handy when I ordered 15 bottles of wine last month!

That IS awesome. I've had problems in the past with UPS not being able to deliver a package to me because we kept missing each other and signature was required for dropoff. I asked them to send it to a local UPS Store and they basically said go pound sand. The only way to reroute the package was to contact the shipper, have the shipper contact them, and then contact me.

Odd. I could swear I've been able to tell them to leave the package at the local distribution center for me to pick up after work. Maybe not the same as leaving at a UPS store??

Odd. I could swear I've been able to tell them to leave the package at the local distribution center for me to pick up after work. Maybe not the same as leaving at a UPS store??

not the same. The distribution center was 45min away from me, the UPS store was 5min away. But i think the UPS stores are all independently owned or something like that so maybe thats why its not the same.

One of those services allowed me to sign a slip and as long as it matched a copy they had, they would leave it the next day after I signed the slip. Not sure they still do that. I haven't had to sign in God knows how long.

That sucks. I'm pissed myself right now over an amazon.com book order. 4 books, all in-stock and sold direct by Amazon. Order placed.

order then sits 5 days, and finally ships...USPS. Ok, fine...I can cope.
Package goes out for delivery today...USPS won't leave it without a signature, so now I have to go to the post office tomorrow and pick it up.

W T F! No wonder USPS is quickly going under. UPS is better, but not by much. FedEx is my current favorite, as they've made it easy to re-route a package to a FedEx store for pickup at a reasonable hour, right up the street from my house. Very handy when I ordered 15 bottles of wine last month!

Don't know if this is still true (know it used to be), I notice FedEx is better on long hauls than UPS

I used to get my base grain from upstate New York, and if I ordered before noon on Monday, I'd have the 55# bag delivered on Thursday (FedEx)

UPS would take an extra day.

I use UPS quite a bit and am completely happy with their performance.

Good luck on getting your stuff.

Hooray, I got my package today. Everything was packed well so no damage. Plus now I have shiny 316 3-piece ball valves.

Thanks Austin Homebrew, worth the wait.

Back