Adjusting hop additions for full boil AND less sugar in boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancness

Reaction score
Hello fellow HBers, I have a question about my hop additions, since I will be altering the kit instructions a little bit.

I am making Northern Brewer Belgian Tripel kit. Here's the link:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/BelgianTripel.pdf

As it says, I will be using .5 oz of Summit for my 60 min bittering addition, and 1 oz of Saaz for my 1 min aroma addition.

My question is this:

I will be doing a full boil instead of a partial boil (about 5 gallons vs 2.5). Also, I'm going to leave out the 1 lb. of candi sugar and add it a few days into fermentation.

My question is, do I need to adjust my hop additions? There isn't a ton of hops in this recipe, so I'm wondering if I could get by just adding them according to the directions even though I'm not following all the other directions exactly (as far as boil volume and sugar additions).

The hops do get used slightly more effeicently in a full boil, but for the bittering hop (and thats the only one that matters in this case) the ibu difference is like 2 more, ie nothing.

But, why are you adding the candi sugar in later? at least gonna boil it first before adding to fermenter?

Yeah I'm going to boil the sugar in about a quart of water and cool it off before I add it.

I'm adding it later because I want the yeast to work on the malt sugars first while they are healthy. Candi sugar is a cinch for them to ferment.

But yeah, good point. I figure since I'm only using .5 oz of bittering hops for the whole batch, it probably won't cause a huge flavor difference by using the same amount for a full boil.

Thanks.

The hops do get used slightly more effeicently in a full boil, but for the bittering hop (and thats the only one that matters in this case) the ibu difference is like 2 more, ie nothing.

2IBUs? I think you mean twice the IBUs. Boil size is probably the biggest factor in hop utilization. while their wont be an actual flavor difference, changing the balance that much will certainly affect the flavor. keep the saaz the same but the summit should be halved

According to the calculator supplied by Priemus it would be 32.3 IBU for a 5 gallon boil and 18.7 IBU for a 2.5 gallon boil using all the hops in the kit.

If I use half the bittering hops for a full boil, its giving me 16.4 IBU. So it looks like I should be using a little more than half of the Summit.

Since the hops already come with the kit, if you wanted you could just toss the leftover summit in at the end of the boil for a slight tangerine/orange kick. Not that you'd be able to distinguish a 2 IBU difference, but doing that will nearly make up for the offset in using half at bittering

Back