Tampa/Gainesville crew Florida. What do you think of world of Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiako

Reaction score
Just curious as I am kicking around the idea of buying franchise rights in Gainesville if the company even thinks one would work there. Just kicking it around as it does cost 750k+

Hell with that much open a brew pup, or even a brew supply shop in Spring Hill!! If you need a brewmaster for a brew pup let me know, LOL....

I actually never been to the WOB, but growing trends show increase in brew pubs and micro-brew type bars.

Josh

Hell with that much open a brew pup, or even a brew supply shop in Spring Hill!! If you need a brewmaster for a brew pup let me know, LOL....

I actually never been to the WOB, but growing trends show increase in brew pubs and micro-brew type bars.

Josh

Brew pubs have insanely high fail rates. Hops, New world brewery just to name two in Tampa. Also, WoB is micro brew type as it has something like 300 beers. Oh and you should check out WoB its not too far from you I don't think. On Weds they have half off for college students and beers range from 2.50 to 4 bucks on tap as I usually walk away pretty buzzed off of 15 bucks.

WOB is great for the younger crowd. I'm not ancient yet, but too much crowd and too much noise for me.

As far as a money maker, sure looks like one.

Most of them are pretty quiet before 9pm but you don't get the specials. Do you like Dunderbaks?

WOB is great for the younger crowd. I'm not ancient yet, but too much crowd and too much noise for me.

As far as a money maker, sure looks like one.

On a Friday/Saturday night it's not un common to have a few hundred people in or around the Coconut Creek one. Best part about that one is the location. A good amount of restaurants that will deliver to WOB make it a fantastic place.

I think something like that would be a great asset to the City of Alachua and or High Springs up at exit 399 on I-75. There is some property available up there, close to the freeway.

The biggest problem in Gainesville is adequate parking. I think the city would rather see parking lots full of grass and trees, than cars.

WOB in Westchase is always packed and it's very small. They cram a band upstairs and it gets very loud inside. Nice patio area for smokers and not so much noise. They do have a good diverse selection of taps and 300+ bottles so there's plenty of choices. From what I'm told the one on 4th Street in St. Pete is doing very well too. Good luck if you take the plunge. Just curious, what is the estimated time it'll take to recoup the initial $750K if the place takes off?

I think something like that would be a great asset to the City of Alachua and or High Springs up at exit 399 on I-75. There is some property available up there, close to the freeway.

The biggest problem in Gainesville is adequate parking. I think the city would rather see parking lots full of grass and trees, than cars.

Do these cities not have any beer bars at all? I would love to open any bar near gainesville but if it was open there I highly doubt it would be a World of Beer as the city is much too small and the crowd is not young enough. But I am sure a bar there would be much cheaper.

WOB in Westchase is always packed and it's very small. They cram a band upstairs and it gets very loud inside. Nice patio area for smokers and not so much noise. They do have a good diverse selection of taps and 300+ bottles so there's plenty of choices. From what I'm told the one on 4th Street in St. Pete is doing very well too. Good luck if you take the plunge. Just curious, what is the estimated time it'll take to recoup the initial $750K if the place takes off?

I have not put in for an application yet so I am limited on that information and I am sure it differ by location.

Gainesville has the right age demographics - perhaps too young. It's a college town (duh) with a lot of Natty Light drinking broke-assed kids. Not a likely place to sell a lot of $7.00 pints.

Call it "Jorts" and make sure to lease a trailer and get a permit to sell in J-ville once a year.

Gainesville has the right age demographics - perhaps too young. It's a college town (duh) with a lot of Natty Light drinking broke-assed kids. Not a likely place to sell a lot of $7.00 pints.

Well they have two places for good beer one is packed and too small. While I don't like the feel at the other one.

I think if people want to drink great beer there should be no qualifications for this. WoB is a great place to drink and not feel like you are in the wrong place.

In Tampa, Dunderbak's is where it's at. JB is so dedicated. The guy has the best beer menu, everytime I walk in.

Another good place in Tampa is The Independent on Florida Ave. Very good beer there with an extremely chill atmosphere.

Datz is good but can be pricy and the beer can be had other places.

WOB is huge with the young crowd but they do have good selections as far as their beers.

Or head to Cigar City and just drink their beer in their bar. Really good!

In Tampa, Dunderbak's is where it's at. JB is so dedicated. The guy has the best beer menu, everytime I walk in.

Another good place in Tampa is The Independent on Florida Ave. Very good beer there with an extremely chill atmosphere.

Datz is good but can be pricy and the beer can be had other places.

WOB is huge with the young crowd but they do have good selections as far as their beers.

Or head to Cigar City and just drink their beer in their bar. Really good!

I like all those places besides The independent. Worst place I have been to.

Stubbies is downtown and is packed wall to wall every weekend night. Pretty busy on the weekdays too. They have 300+ beers in bottle, a buddy of mine drank 3 different Rocheforts in one sitting the other day. Beers start at $3-4 bottle and go up to $20-30 for the special stuff.

Rochefort... mmmmmmmm

and kjj is right on with Dunderbak's - JB is a true beer geek and gets some fantastic and obscure stuff that you will never see anywhere else in the state.

I really like Dunderbaks, I have not tried any of the others yet. When I get back from this deployment (15 days and counting) I will be having a party at the Tampa Bay Brewing Company.

On a side note, Spring Hill used to have a micro brewery / restaurant, it closed because of horribly bad beer and food, then re-opened as a sports bar and they wanted to brew BMC beers in their brewing tanks! Yeah no thanks, last I heard it went under as well.

Spring Hill really needs a classy place to get good beer, the closest place is Tampa, and there are a lot of Tampa folks that live in Spring Hill/Brooksville area that commute.

Josh

I have never been to Spring hill but I know quite a few people that come into Tampa to go to WoB

I am 24 and I think it's OK. The music is usually so loud you can hardly talk to anyone, although you could obviously change that if you owned one. They do have a pretty good beer selection though, but I always felt like WOB gave a yuppie beer bar vibe. Like it was a beer bar for people that wanted somewhere to go in order to feel like they were in on the craft beer scene. But of course that could be just the one's I've been to, Bruce B Downs, Dale Mabry locations in Tampa. I've enjoyed places like Brass Tap in Wesley Chapel or The Pour House in Tampa better, even though they are similar establishments. That being said WOB is always busy, so from a investment standpoint carrying the WOB name may be beneficial over opening your own. They are expanding rapidly in the Tampa Bay area.

The music does differ from location to location so it does it look like owners have control over that.

Broke ass kids in Gainesville? You wouldn't know it, with all the BMW's, VW Jettas/Passats and other high end vehicles these kids drive. They all seem to be able to spend $7-10 for lunch every day, too.

I think it is worth looking into, IMHO.

One in Gainesville may work. Stubbies downtown is similar, but extremely small and gets shoulder to shoulder crowded on busy nights. I do enjoy the atmosphere on slow nights or before the rush.

I've never been to a WOB, so I can't comment on the place itself. I don't mind the yuppie factor, as long as the staff isn't snobby or pretentious (which I sometimes see at Stubbies). I just want to sit in the corner and sip on a few good beers. I'm not one for live music either. If I want to hear music, I'll go to a show. If I'm going to a beer bar and spending some good money on beer I can buy for cheaper, I want to have a nice quiet corner to hang out and talk with a couple of mates, ya know? Maybe keep the music to a few nights a week, lol.

One in Gainesville may work. Stubbies downtown is similar, but extremely small and gets shoulder to shoulder crowded on busy nights. I do enjoy the atmosphere on slow nights or before the rush.

I've never been to a WOB, so I can't comment on the place itself. I don't mind the yuppie factor, as long as the staff isn't snobby or pretentious (which I sometimes see at Stubbies). I just want to sit in the corner and sip on a few good beers. I'm not one for live music either. If I want to hear music, I'll go to a show. If I'm going to a beer bar and spending some good money on beer I can buy for cheaper, I want to have a nice quiet corner to hang out and talk with a couple of mates, ya know? Maybe keep the music to a few nights a week, lol.

I know they have music on Friday, Sat, Wed, Not sure about the other days. But at some of them you can sit outside and not here the music. Their beer is way cheaper than any place in gainesville and the staff has been great at all the ones I have been to in Tampa.

In general Tampa is a place you should check out for beer. Quite a few places here. But yeah I don't like stubbies for the same reason you said.

I like all those places besides The independent. Worst place I have been to.

What!? Really? I love The Independent. Solid beers there, for a really good prices. I've had beer there several times with JB from Dunderbak's. He loves The Independent too.

What!? Really? I love The Independent. Solid beers there, for a really good prices. I've had beer there several times with JB from Dunderbak's. He loves The Independent too.

The bar itself is just too small. They should have ran the bar top the other way to allow better service. I can't believe they get two or three people there.

I feel WoB and Dunderbaks have better prices. I also didn't much like the crowd there.

Back