Raspberry & Blackberry GF recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilort

Reaction score
I thought I would share my recipe for a gluten free raspberry and blackberry beer that I make that my gluten intolerant wife enjoys (and actually I do to). We've done a couple of variants on it so I'll share those too.

It is really a knock off of Papazian's "Cherries in the Snow," which is a beer my wife's father used to make when she was younger and not sensitive to gluten.

I use about 2.5lbs each of raspberries and blackberries.
2oz of tettnang hops
6lbs of dry rice malt
1lb of orange blossom honey

The last one I made like this turned out to be about 7%, was very dry, carbonated very slowly, but was very good.

We use fresh fruit and freeze it. You could likely use pre-frozen fruit.

This makes 5gal batches but I don't have enough capacity to boil 5gal at once so I usually boil between 2 and 2.5gal. With the addition of the fruit at the end I tend to stick to just 2gal with this beer.

I bring the water to a boil, add the rice malt, and the honey (more about that later). I do an hour long boil with about 1/3 of the hops added at 60min, 1/3 at 30min, and the last 1/3 at 15 min. Once the our is up I let the wort cool to about 160* and add in the frozen fruit. As it warms I smash it against the side of the pot. I then stir for 10-15min while keeping the wort between 150-160*.

I then cool the wort and add it to 2.5 - 3gal of water in my 6gal carboy.

I pitch the yeast dry (I seem to get something different every time I go to the brew store so I can't make a recommendation). I let it ferment in the primary for 2 weeks, transfer it to a secondary for two weeks, and then bottle it with 5oz of priming sugar. It seems to carbonate very slowly (at least 2 weeks for any action).

We've made a couple of variants of this beer.

In the first one we used only raspberries (5lbs). My wife loved that one but seems to like the the one with blackberries a bit more. We call it Red Beer'd.

I currently have another variant in the secondary. Instead of dry rice malt my brew store got me a 5gal bucket of Breiss Sorghum syrup. I did everything as listed above but with 5lbs of syrup rather than 6lbs of dry rice malt. The potential alcohol is lower than what I'd like. I also didn't yet know to use malodextrin or Irish Moss so this is likely to be cloudy. We don't bottle it for another week and a half so it'll be a month or better before I know how this version turns out. I also used 1/2lb of rice hulls during the last 10-15min of the boil for the first time and am curious to see how this works out.

I'm also thinking about adding the honey at the end of the boil rather than the start of the boil and was looking for opinions about that.

I'm also thinking about adding the honey at the end of the boil rather than the start of the boil and was looking for opinions about that.

The closer you add it to bottling, the stronger the flavor will be. If you add it in the boil, it is much less strong than the fermenter, but the last 15minutes you can just barely taste it.

I generally let beers set in the primary for 2 weeks, a secondary for 2 weeks, and the bottle for 2 weeks. Sometimes things stretch out a bit more (pear cider and wine hold my wife over as necessary). Would you add the honey into the primary when you pitch the yeast? Or right before you start cooling the wort? Or sometime during primary fermentation?

I generally let beers set in the primary for 2 weeks, a secondary for 2 weeks, and the bottle for 2 weeks. Sometimes things stretch out a bit more (pear cider and wine hold my wife over as necessary). Would you add the honey into the primary when you pitch the yeast? Or right before you start cooling the wort? Or sometime during primary fermentation?

I've done both with honey in my pumpkin spice and pumpkin ales that I brewed back to back. I didn't really notice any huge difference that I would attribute to the honey.

I've done both with honey in my pumpkin spice and pumpkin ales that I brewed back to back. I didn't really notice any huge difference that I would attribute to the honey.

You aren't going to taste it covering it with pumpkin and spices!

In my last GF brew, honey was the star of the show and I added it a couple days into fermentation. It was a pretty light lager. You could easily turn it into an ale though.

http://brew.dkershner.com/2010/no-pils-pils/

I'm looking forward to trying one where I hold off on the honey addition now. The raz-wit I've got a post on will be the next one we try out for sure and I'm going to add maybe 2lbs of honey in it.

I've got a raspberry and blackberry beer in the secondary now that I did with all sorghum. It is in the secondary now. I wonder if I could add honey to it or if it is too late. It's been three weeks since I started it (two in the primary and one in the secondary). This sorghum flavor has me running scared at this point.

Just bottled a version of this one yesterday where I used 5lbs of sorghum syrup rather than dry rice malt. It tasted more fruity than the rice version but didn't have some of the nasty flavors like the other all sorghum beer I made. Two more weeks and we find out for sure. I'm looking forward to this one now.

We actually popped the top on one of these (all sorghum, no rice) about 1 week after bottling and it tasted okay. Its now been three weeks now and the consensus remains the same, it is okay. I think the next time I do this I'll try for a 50/50 mix of sorghum and dark rice syrup.

Back