Low OG Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewagentjay

Reaction score
So I new it would be low OG....As I What I could do with my extra runnings of my first batch.

I want to beef it up real quick before pitching yeast. So the question is what can I use. It's at 5.5 Gallons and 1.026ish.

I have Honey, table sugar, priming sugar, 1lb of DME.

I'd like to get it to 1.040 if possible.

Thanks

Also I'm assuming I have to boil each of the items either way right? :ban:

It's also a little on high side so could be like 6 gallons so I could boil it down some too I guess wasn't sure if I could re-boil or not.....

i would add a little but over 2# of honey which will bump you to about 1.040. What was the recipe? You could add the DME also if you had enough steeping grains and go for sort of a braggot.

It's also a little on high side so could be like 6 gallons so I could boil it down some too I guess wasn't sure if I could re-boil or not.....

you can boil it down further to increase the gravity but even if you boil vigorously for the next hour assuming its at 6 gallons, you should onluy hit 1.032ish acording to beersmith. I would go for something different and try your luck- i mean what do you really have to lose. Or do an english mild type beer

It really depends on the recipe. Sometimes lengthening a boil is a great idea, but if you've already added flavor and/or finishing hops, lenthening the boil also increases the bittering while decreasing the flavor and aroma. It's not a problem at all in a beer like a stout, but could be a very big issue in a pale ale. I like to boil my runnings to what I need for my preboil volume (generally 6.25 gallons) and then start my timer for the 60 minute hops additions.

Adding more fermentables may be a good idea to bring up your OG. The only thing I'd consider adding to a 1.040 beer would be malt extract, though. One pound would give you about 9 points. You don't have to boil it, beyond just dissolving it. You could pull out some of the wort you already have and add your extract and bring it to a boil in a second pot, just to dissolve the extract. Then cool and add to the fermenter.

Yooper where's my fav avatar?

I need Beer Smith or something.....

It was runnings from an IPA beer.... So It was a experiment to begin with but I did waste a lot time in sparge and boil so I'd like to try to use it.

It was bittered with all hop bags from first boil, then at boil I added 1 oz warrior, then for flavor at 15 minutes I added 1oz cascade, then for aroma I added 1 oz cascade at 5 minute mark........

It's at 1.26ish right now @ 6 gallons or just under.
So if I my 1lb of DME get's me 9 points then I'm at 1.34ish (question do I add it directly it wort and stir to disolve as I hate to add more water)

Then I add 5oz of priming sugar...where would I be at?

So that would put me at 1.36ish or 1.37ish.....

I need 3 more points.........

How about some honey........ say 8oz

it will ferment completly out with little or no flavor contribution. You may end up with a thin beer since your bumping up the gravity without any unfermentables.....just be aware. What was the recipe you used?

I was trying something. I had lot of of left overs once I had gotten my IPA pre-boil target. So I decided to give it a shot.

So I ran out about 2.5 gallons and decided to batch sparge once more and got 7 gallons.

So I then used the hop bags from IPA boil and added them to mix.

Once it started to boil I removed the hop bags.......(didn't think they'd get me much)
I bittered with 1 oz warrior @ 60min
I flavored with 1 oz cascade @ 15min
I aroma with 1 oz cascade @ 5 min

Figured it would be a light light IPA or really a good lawn mowing beer...

I can't recall the grains off hand but it was 13.5 lbs of extra pale stuff.

I new the OG would be low and it was just a little too low so now I'm thinking what can I do to kick it up a bit..........

Just a hugh experiment with all my left over stuff including a dry packet of ale yeast.

oops I forgot to do the caculation for sample temp....so my current OG is 1.028....

So 9 points get's me 1.037ish with just the DME....

So what about 3 points?

Option A priming sugar
Option B Honey

What you think?

Last Question if I use 8 oz of honey do I need to boil it?

Assuming on the priming sugar and DME I'm not going to boil just mix in........

I mixed it no top off water.....It's a bit of a experiment sort of to see if I can get two beers with one grain bill.

So here is what I went with and there is no turning back. Also I downloaded beer smith but couldn't figure out how to get the information I needed.

So with out further delay:

1) Collected 1 gallons to 1.5 gallons of wort
2) Heated to just below a boil
3) Added 8oz of warm Honey
4) Added 1lb of Light DME
5) Added 12oz of Brown Sugar
6) Heated and Stired for 5 minutes
7) Poured back into Primary & Stirred

Now I'm waiting for temp to cool off a bit to take new reading........

Gonna have to change the name a bit since the additions but we'll see how she turns out...........

My thoughs are to improve the process so no additions are needed....So I will order just a few more pounds of grains, few extra oz of hops, & a dry yeast package.

This will allow me to make my bigger or planned beer and make a 5 gallon batch of a lighter beer........

What are your thoughts?

Thinking of dry hopping with some more cascade on this perhaps..........

As I have probably killed some of my hoppiness.......

So with the hydro in place I appear to end up with 1.038 to 1.039ish.......

Dang close to what I was aiming for.....

Yeah it'll be just under 4% and I wanted it to be light beer....I hope not two thin....

What do you think about small amount of dry hops?

Thanks for all your help on this, I just tested the batch after 30 days in primary and we are at 1.006 giving me a 4.4 to 4.5 % beer from the left over runnings of my ipa so I got 10 gallons of brew for price of 5 gallons........yeah next time I try this perhaps I'll add a few extra pounds of grains to ensure I get a nice OG. If I can get one to end up 1.040 range it will work as proven with this one.

So now I got an IPA & an IPA Lite........

Back