question about rinsing off bleach

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakobrau

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Totally new to this hobby... so go easy on me :)

I listened to the 2007-03-29 broadcast of homebrew radio with great interest. I know star san and others are highly recommended around here, but I cannot find it locally it seems. If I can just use cheap common bleach then that's fine with me.

I know that at the quantities suggested (2tbsp per 5 gallon) rinsing is not required, but I think I would feel better doing so nonetheless.

The question: can I use tap water on HOT to rinse, are am I just undoing my sanitization efforts by doing so? Seems to me that hot water tanks are set to a certain temperature specifically because past a certain degree (60C?) bacteria isn't likely to grow in it.

I realize I can't control the conditions between the tank and the faucet, but am I just splitting hairs at this point? I'm not looking for hospital grade sanitation, just trying to establish a simple method that's easy and convenient. My dishwasher uses this same water afterall...

Any thoughts?

Don't worry about using bleach solution. I've used it exclusively with no issues for...let's just say...more than a few batches. ;)

I always use hot tap water for rinsing. Again...no issues.

My right sink basin is always filled with bleach solution. I also toss in a 1/4 cup of oxyclean.

SHopSink.jpg

Sometimes, depending on what i sanitize, i will rinse.... To me it seems if you let something sit the recommended 15 minutes with bleach that that will kill all nasties contained therein. Rinsing just takes out the crud leaving a perfectly clean area.... Of course like i said i only do it with some things i sanitize... Usually i leave it be.

I've been rinsing with the same NYC tap water that I make the beer with. I didn't rinse when I did this many years ago, but since I'm comfortable using tap water I do it. I haven't had any problems.

This being said, I received my first bottle of StarSan from the brown truck today and I'll be using that instead.

order star-san online if you cna't get it at the LHBS.

the stuff is phenomenal. you can literally drink it and suffer no ill effects. can't say that about bleach ;)

I know it has been said, but just to give you one more opinion to help ease your mind...I too use hot tap water to rinse after using bleach. I have yet to NOTICE any off flavors, but I too am kind of new to the hobby. Happy brewing.

Typically, I use bleach to clean my carboys and then sanitize with Iodophor. If you have to sanitize with bleach, I would rinse, as I have tasted homebrews by other brewers where the bleach flavor has come through.

i used bleach for a while and just "felt" better about using it. One thing to note....don't use scented bleach. I had to reclean/santize all of my equipment after reading about it on here! But bleach is fine, I use oxyclean and bleach and have had no off flavors! Oxyclean is not starsan but it works well and I bought a big box for $14 at Sam's Club. Yes you have to rinse but I like it and use if for other things around the house as well.

In the right concentration, bleach is a no-rinse sanitizer. if you taste bleach in your beer, you use WAY to much.

malkore said:
order star-san online if you cna't get it at the LHBS.

the stuff is phenomenal. you can literally drink it and suffer no ill effects. can't say that about bleach ;)

Actually, you can drink bleach too, in the right concentration. In fact it is commonly used to purify water when camping. it's cheap, easy and leaves no taste or odor when used correctly.

During my army days, they supplied us with this tablet which we put int our jerry cans that is supposed to kill off all the germs and bacteria in the water, can't quite recall the name of this tablet.
It would be cool to have these as a sanitzier.

+1 on mail-ordering StarSan. It's not very expensive, and a bottle will last forever if used wisely. I only do one batch at a time, so I usually make a 5 gallon bucket when I make my starter, and that lasts me (covered) through bottling day. At this rate, I will need another bottle of StarSan in...three years?

Caveat: I'm a freak about sanitation; I won't let any un-sanitized substance or surface contact my wort.

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies guys! Always nice to have a friendly and active forum when starting a new hobby :)

I shall go with bleach then for sanitizing. I have confidence in our public tap water here - it's odorless, colorless, and tastes just fine.

Now if I can just find an odorless antibacterial dish soap I'll be all set. What do you guys use that can easily be found locally? I was at Walmart the other day and it's all lavender this and watermelon kiwi that... :rolleyes:

If I can't find anything this weekend I'll just pickup some oxyclean as per the sticky.

c_boben said:
Wow, thanks for all the quick replies guys! Always nice to have a friendly and active forum when starting a new hobby :)

I shall go with bleach then for sanitizing. I have confidence in our public tap water here - it's odorless, colorless, and tastes just fine.

Now if I can just find an odorless antibacterial dish soap I'll be all set. What do you guys use that can easily be found locally? I was at Walmart the other day and it's all lavender this and watermelon kiwi that... :rolleyes:

If I can't find anything this weekend I'll just pickup some oxyclean as per the sticky.

Chemically Oxyclean and Cascade dishsoap are the same....

I actually read that somewhere on here and i can vouch it cleans just as well, and removes bottles labels just as well too...

Back