Traquair House Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtah

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone brewed Traquair House Ale clone recipe? I had this beer for the first time and would like to give the extract recipe from Clone Brews a try. I have never used oak chips before. It only calls for 1/4 ounce in secondary, so not too much. Steeping 3 ounces of peated malt does seem like a lot.
I love the beer, so any experiences appreciated.

I've brewed an all-grain version by skotrat that was excellent. Very simple recipe with ~20lbs of maris otter and a touch of roasted barley and boiling down a part of the first runnings. No wood chips or peated malt. Those flavors come from the yeast (Wyeast 1728).

I've brewed an all-grain version by skotrat that was excellent. Very simple recipe with ~20lbs of maris otter and a touch of roasted barley and boiling down a part of the first runnings. No wood chips or peated malt. Those flavors come from the yeast (Wyeast 1728).

I love the peated malt. My LHBS does not have Maris Otter DME. The recipe calls for Muntons 8.5 lbs, I am assuming this is Maris? Or is it Muntons DME something different? I am hesitant to use Maris LME, this is what the LHBS has. Any suggestions? I am going to re-pitch wyeast 1084 as the recipe calls for.

Stick with the recipe and see how it comes out. I just thought it was odd to add oak chips. I was just commenting on a Traquair clone that I liked. Muntons DME is mostly likely just a mix of pale malt and carapils, which will work just fine. Let us know how it turns out.

Back