Oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is what I just did for partial mash batch:

3.3lb light LME
3 lb Dark DME
.5lb Maltodexterine

Steeping grains
1lb Oats
10 oz Dark Chocolate malt
12oz 2 row Pale
6oz Victory

1oz East Kent Goldings bittering
.5oz Fuggles flavor

Used Safale us-04

Mash grains 40 min at 150, bring to boil and add LME, DME and malto and EKG hops. Boil for 45 min. Add Fuggles and boil 15 min.

Just to be clear about the above recipe, you are going to be doing a partial mash to get what you want out of the oats; mashing is slightly different from steeping, and requires a little more attention to detail. If you have an extract batch under your belt, partial mash is surprisingly easy, as demonstrated in this fantastic thread. Read that thread and follow its instructions on brew day, and you should be fine.

Thanks guys.....I was actually just researching partial mashes! I will look at the thread posted. Looking forward to it!

True, partial mash is more than just letting it sit in hot water. You will only get some color and flavor, but not enough sugars if you don't mash. I saw its only your second batch, just checkout that thread herbie posted and you'll be fine.

I read the thread about partial mashes....just one question....This recipe requires no sparging, right?
Thanks

I didnt sparge. My grains are in a bag, I just dunk and then move around with my spoon and drain, repeat a few times. Occasionally will have another pot of water with 170 degree water that I pour over, but I didn't this past time. I don't want this to become like work. Just tried the stout after 4 weeks in bottle and it is smooth, little sweet and roasty malty delicious.

Back