Newb Kegging Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daburban

Reaction score
Hey guys, i don't want to bottle anymore and i'm thinking about jumping to kegs. A few things i'm wondering about is not having a kegerator to keep them cool in and the fact that i may want to throw them in my car and take em to a friends house sometime. Will i be able to transport them and how do you feel about room temp keg beer?!

Daburban said:
Hey guys, i don't want to bottle anymore and i'm thinking about jumping to kegs. A few things i'm wondering about is not having a kegerator to keep them cool in and the fact that i may want to throw them in my car and take em to a friends house sometime. Will i be able to transport them and how do you feel about room temp keg beer?!

I've only been kegging a while, but for moving them I think it works fine. People bring kegs to our local club meetings all the time. As for room temp beer I wouldn't be a fan unless the room temp was a chilly basement. I would wait until you can get a fridge or try something like the tap-a-draft thing and put that in your regular fridge. (note: I don't have any experience with it, so that plan might not be a good one). Check craigslist for the fridge and you can get it dirt cheep as long as you can cover the extra electric bill.

You'll need to condition your beer for at least a month at fermentation temp anyway. Longer than a month for high alcohol beer. So I don't see it as a problem.
For long term storage try to find the coolest place possible if it won't fit into your refridgerator.

As far as transport be sure to get 1 way valves or check valves to keep any beer from getting in you regulator. As beer could easily get into the gas line as a result of being in the short gas tube from the movement during transportation.

For serving consider using an Igloo Ice Cube cooler, some people make new tops out of foam insulation and others cut a hole in the top, unless you and your friends like room temp. beer.

You could also build your own jockey box.

You'll have a hell of a time carbonating at room temp, then dialing the pressure down and venting off 20lbs of gas every time you want to dispense some beer...then remember to crank the psi back up at the end of the drinking session.

not to mention 'room temp beer'....nasty.

Back