All Grain Big Citra IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rmerrill

Reaction score
I basically have a ton of 2-row malt and 10oz of Citra Hops and I was hoping to make a large Citra beer. I know Citra can be overwhelming and in a 5% beer you have to be careful. But in a 9% to 11% beer how many oz do you think I can get away with?

Or my other thought is are there any ideas of how to do a parti-gyle with a big beer from the first runnings and a small beer from the second running? What kind of grain boost might I want to use for the second runnings?

I have Wyeast America 1056 and WLP English yeast 002 available.

I'm still a newer brewer but have done about 15-20 batches so I have some experience but I wanted to experiment with Citra and just see what happens.

If you are looking for ideas, take a look at the thread below. I ave brewed two 5 gallon batches, and doing a third today with a bit of a modified recipe and this beer simply rocks!

If you are looking for bitterness then 2 oz at 60 min might be okay, however, I think it might be overwhelming. Again view this thread and it may help you out.

3 Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Hockyplr said:
If you are looking for ideas, take a look at the thread below. I ave brewed two 5 gallon batches, and doing a third today with a bit of a modified recipe and this beer simply rocks!

If you are looking for bitterness then 2 oz at 60 min might be okay, however, I think it might be overwhelming. Again view this thread and it may help you out.

3 Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Agreed. This beer is good, I have yet to do my latest revision though.

I've never heard this notion that you can overdo citra before, but I don't buy it. As with any hop variety, it is possible to make a beer that has too much bitterness and not enough hop flavor, and there is a point where using more hops won't make an appreciable difference in the final product, but I don't see the hop flavors being too much with Citra. I made a 4% ABV ~55 IBU pale ale with all citra hops this spring, and of the 10 or so beers I've made this year it is my favorite. If I could change one thing about it though it would be to add a touch more bitterness.

I heard (no experience) that Citra is not a good bittering hop. Something to do with the flavors it produces.

I recently did a Citra Pale Ale. I used Columbus for the bittering, but I did FWH with Citra, and was worried after reading a potential issue with Citra being in the boil a long time.

Worked out fine, great beer, wish I still had some, it went really quickly. I think SWMBO might have drunk more of it than me, and she normally only drinks my beers when she doesn't have a cold Sam Adams in the fridge.

Anyone know of a problem with Citra in the boil a long time?

Back