Question about racking to glass carboy after full boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Code

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I just bought a 10G kettle so I can do full boils on 5g batches, and I have a question regarding putting the wort in my glass carboy. Before I would pour 3g of cold water into the carboy, and dump my semi chilled wort into the mix so I wouldn't crack the carboy. Now that I'll be doing full boils will I be safe dumping the full batch into the carboy so long as the wort is chilled to around 75 degrees, and the glass is roughly the same temp? I'm guessing it'll be perfectly fine, but I thought I would ask just in case, because hey, I'm still a noob! :fro:

It'll be fine, but I'd recommend siphoning from the kettle to the carboy. That 10g kettle will be too heavy with 5g of wort for pouring.

Just make sure you aren't hitting the carboy with anything that is much hotter than the glass itself. Personally, I wont put anything in the carboy that is hotter than luke-warm, unless there is already enough liquid inside to even it out.

Thanks guys! My kettle has a valve on it w/ detachable hose, so i'll be trasferring it to the carboy that way.

As long as the temp are similar you are good. As an added bonus, I would add a funnel or just keep the hose near the top of the carboy and let the wort splash in therefore airating the wort before pitching the yeast.

Latest posts

Back