Can you Brew It recipe for Jolly Pumpkin Madrugada Obscura

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
All recipes are 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results.

The italicized text is the recipe and post by Mraz from TBN Forum

Batch Size (Gal): 6.00 Wort Size (Gal): 6.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 16.08
Anticipated OG: 1.071 Plato: 17.47
Anticipated SRM: 60.6
Anticipated IBU: 36.5
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Mash Type: Single Step

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.40 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 149 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 168 Time: 30

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.2 0.35 lbs. Clover Honey Generic 1.035 0
3.3 0.53 lbs. Corn Sugar Generic 1.046 0
4.1 0.66 lbs. Turbinado Sugar Generic 1.046 3
50.0 8.04 lbs. Pilsener Belgium 1.037 2
12.0 1.93 lbs. Roasted Barley Great Britain 1.029 575
10.0 1.61 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
0.7 0.11 lbs. Melanoidin Malt 1.033 35
7.3 1.18 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
6.0 0.96 lbs. White Wheat Belgium 1.040 3
3.0 0.48 lbs. Crystal 80L America 1.033 80
1.5 0.24 lbs. Black Malt Belgium 1.030 600

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.55 oz. Nugget Pellet 13.00 26.2 60 min.
1.09 oz. Fuggle Pellet 5.00 10.3 30 min.

Yeast
-----
yeast can be from a Jolly Pumpkin beer or

White labs wlp 550 then add Wyeast
5112 - Brettanomyces bruxellensis
5335 - Lactobacillus
5526 - Brettanomyces lambicus
to the secondary.

.15 American oak and .15 French Oak
The oak cubes are boiled for 30 sec in the microwave to pull out some of the flavor and aromatics, also to soften the oak flavor. Pour off the water and add just the oak cubes.

I reused the oak cubes from my Bam Bière clone but if you like, you can using the instructions above.

For this recipe I was worried about percentages so the amounts for the grain is odd feel free to round up if you like.

I did not have any Dark Munich so I added .7% Melanoidin Malt.
So if you have Dark Munich, drop the Melanoidin Malt and use 8% Dark Munich.

I'm wanting to make this clone but I have a few worries. Mostly about the need for additional equipment to prevent contamination for regular ales. What equipment should I have to dedicate to sour beers? Syphon/stoppers/airlocks/ carboy? I have one glass carboy and everything else is plastic. Seperate bottling buckets?

I've got something similar but I used dregs from Trinity Brewings Old Growth. Been about 3 months so far and it tastes fantastic. I think the grain bill is right on.

I'm wanting to make this clone but I have a few worries. Mostly about the need for additional equipment to prevent contamination for regular ales. What equipment should I have to dedicate to sour beers? Syphon/stoppers/airlocks/ carboy? I have one glass carboy and everything else is plastic. Seperate bottling buckets?

It's a pretty good idea to have a set of everything you mentioned, just for sours. :mug:

I think the grain bill is right on.

Nice; I may have to give this a try. This beer is good, but the Noel is even better, to my tastes. I need to get something similar to one of these started, so it will be ready come December. It's not like there's a lack of JP dregs at my place. For the last year or so, it's been my weakness.

I have to say I tried this beer on draught about a month ago and it has been my least favorite beer of all the JP beers I have tried. I love all of their other beers but with this one the roastiness seemed to be competing with the sourness in a way that I didn't particularly enjoy. As far as their darker beers go I really liked Noel de Calabaza and Bam Noir very much.

I will say that anything is going to die just as quickly with star san as your standard yeasts. I have found it to be a wives tale that you need to have separate equipment, hoses, etc for sour and non sour beers. I will just say that I don't and have been making them both for over 5 years.
I'm not saying it to toot my own horn, its just that there are many myths out there, and many come from those that do their work from the recliner.

I will say that anything is going to die just as quickly with star san as your standard yeasts. I have found it to be a wives tale that you need to have separate equipment, hoses, etc for sour and non sour beers. I will just say that I don't and have been making them both for over 5 years.
I'm not saying it to toot my own horn, its just that there are many myths out there, and many come from those that do their work from the recliner.

Yea I use glass fermenters and have a four tap kegerator I've been brewing for a few yrs and I never was told to keep separate equipment. Just clean with PBW or oxy clean and sanitize ... No issues at my place! Don't worrie drink a home brew

I'm putting together a recipe that is inspired by this beer. I am wondering if anyone has brewed this, and how it turned out?

Back