Allagash Curieux Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're welcome, and thanks for the complements. I'm so glad that others found this beer as enjoyable as I have found it. My keg is almost gone... I'm going to have to start thinking about brewing this up again sometime soon. Not that it will be ready any time soon, but at least it could be in the works!

This looks like a great beer. Curieux is one of my favorites! I have decided to brew this as my first leap into AG.

I do have one question though. I like to bottle big tasty beers like this so they last a little longer and can be saved for special occasions. What should I prime this with and how much of it. Thanks in advance for any help and thank you for this great recipe. I can't wait to get cookin!

This looks like a great beer. Curieux is one of my favorites! I have decided to brew this as my first leap into AG.

I do have one question though. I like to bottle big tasty beers like this so they last a little longer and can be saved for special occasions. What should I prime this with and how much of it. Thanks in advance for any help and thank you for this great recipe. I can't wait to get cookin!

I carb my Belgian beers to just shy of 3 volumes. For a 5 gallon batch stored at room temp, that's 5.9oz.

Well you've convinced me sir. I'll be brewing up a batch of this this weekend in a marathon brew session. I have a 55 lb sack of Pilsen malt, and was looking for something to make with it other than the Schwarzbier I bought it for!

So how's it coming?

Thats ok, you'll appreciate it more when you do since you've had those cubes in the JB for so long!

OK, so just had a bit more tonight and its as close to the real thing as you'll get (except clearer) without paying close to $18 a bottle! This is AMAZING!!!!! It just gets better with age. I can REALLY taste the coconut complexities now. I'm almost at the point where I can't believe I made this beer!

Curieux Clone.jpg

I'm totally trying to make this last as long as possible! Almost a year and it just keeps getting better...

However, i totally understand, and I appreciate all of your kind words and interest in this beer!

allagash curieux is a great beer, and this thread inspired me to learn about tripels and try to do my own

my recipe was pretty close to yours, and i've had 5gal sitting on 2oz med+ french oak soaked 30hrs in 6 oz eagle bourbon and the remaining gal on a proportional amount of med+ US oak/same bourbon. it's been in the closet for two months today and i'll probably bottle it this weekend. the oak is getting to be almost too strong, so i don't want to wreck it! i'll post results.

I don't think you soaked your oak long enough. That is going to be a lot of oak to age out. The month in JB was crucial, IMHO. I would get it off that oak ASAP. Best wishes but I worry about that oaking schedule. Medium + is a lot of toast man. I would try making another now letting the oak soak a month in the bourbon so that you can age them and see the two beers side by side and then you'll know which method produces the beer you like best.

fair point. i dumped the bourbon into the carboy, too. quite tasty at bottling but it's been months since i've had allagash

Ok. One more question before I do this. Why the 1# of corn sugar? Can more grain be used to get this sugar? Dme? Table sugar? What is the best way to achieve the end result? It may just be me but I don't like the idea of adding corn sugar to my beer. Then again I'm new at this. Thanks for all the help. Can't wait to brew this tomorrow.

The sugar is classic to Belgian beers to have the high attenuation, and crisp dryness so it isn't as heavy. Corn sugar is perfect for this beer.

Ok. I brewed this on saturday and I missed my OG, ending up at 1.065. This was my first AG attempt so I don't think my efficiency was up to par and I didn't get enough water boiled off. I also had to substitute .40 lb of table sugar because I cant convert oz to lbs and only got 10 oz of corn sugar. At worst I will have a hoppy Belgian double. I plan to harvest my yeast and try again next weekend. My oak just gets to enjoy that Jim Beam an extra week or two. Trial and error right?!

My keg of Curieux is finally kicked too. I wonder how many kegs of this have been kicked already in this young thread/recipe's life...Many a good glass have been had I'm sure.

Ok. I brewed this on saturday and I missed my OG, ending up at 1.065. This was my first AG attempt so I don't think my efficiency was up to par and I didn't get enough water boiled off. I also had to substitute .40 lb of table sugar because I cant convert oz to lbs and only got 10 oz of corn sugar. At worst I will have a hoppy Belgian double. I plan to harvest my yeast and try again next weekend. My oak just gets to enjoy that Jim Beam an extra week or two. Trial and error right?!

Hows it coming?

1Mainebrew said:
Hows it coming?

Just finished carbing batch #1. Decent flavor but a little too dry due to missing my OG. Batch #2 is sitting on the oak in secondary. It has been 2 weeks and the bourbon is coming through. The oak is faint. Has a strong alcohol taste right now. That will mellow after a few months in bottles. So far so good. Even my botched batch is tasty!

Everyone has convinced me. This is the next beer I'll brew!! I just hope my homebrew shop has everything I need this weekend or I'll be really disappointed!

Definitely worth the effort. My first try was a little off so I didn't oak it. It tastes good carbed up. The second batch is working its magic and will be a heavyweight for sure. It will require some extensive aging I believe. Good luck. I can't wait to bottle in a few weeks!

Let me know how it turns out! What do you think happened with your first batch? I can't decide what temperature to mash this one at. The posts kind of have a wide range to go on.

I missed my OG by .01 or so. It was my first AG batch and I didnt mash properly. The second is great and goes to bottle Sunday or Monday.

I am going to bottle this beer. Any opinions on if I should add new yeast after such a long fermentation?

jabergess said:
Let me know how it turns out! What do you think happened with your first batch? I can't decide what temperature to mash this one at. The posts kind of have a wide range to go on.

I would go towards the low end. When I remake this I'll do 149 to go after a drier finish.

But again, I didn't add corn sugar or carapils, so it's not a controlled experiment.

Yup, low end like 149 with the corn sugar at least, skip the Carapils if you prefer. I like the Carapils personally, but to each their own.

I am going to bottle this beer. Any opinions on if I should add new yeast after such a long fermentation?

It can't hurt, and will ensure a good carbonation in a fairly hostile, alcoholic environment. That's what Allagash does!

Thanks to you both on the mash temp recommendation. I'm making this beer today! I'm leaving in both the carapils and corn sugar to see what I get. I did change the one yeast from a WLP550 to WLP500 (Trappist Ale). I want the fruity notes left. Hopefully that still meshes well with the Ardennes yeast.

Back