Working with lemongrass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonClayton

Reaction score
Going to do a lenongrass Ginger wheat this afternoon, what's the best way to use the fresh lemongrass? I am thinkIng peel the stalk and add at flameout?

I make a small bundle - fold it over and tie it up - then add at 20 minutes but you can add whenever. I even put some in the mash once.

when you cook with lemongrass you hafe to bruise it (hit it with the back of your knife)
to release the flavors. might help to get the lemon out.

I actually soaked a small bunch, roughly chopped, in a small amount of vodka to sanitize and then added it to my secondary. I was pretty happy with the results.

just a thought.

I put mine in a grain bag and added them at flame-out then I moved the bag to primary after transferring the wort. It turned out pretty well but was a little strong on the lemongrass flavor. If I did it again I would make sure I could get the bag out after 3 or 4 days.

Update: For a 5 gallon batch I ended up using a basic Belgian Wit recipe minus the orange/coriander additions. Yeast of choice was Wyeast Belgian Wit.

I added 5 cubes of candied ginger with 15 minutes left in the boil. I ended up taking one stalk of lemon grass (one whole piece, not one of the small stalks coming off the piece) and peeling off the outer layer. I chopped it up into smaller pieces and brushed it with the back of my knife. I dropped this into the hop bag with 10 minutes left.

One thing I noticed is that the cubes of candied ginger did not dissolve as I expected during the boil, so transferred them to primary as well. After 3 weeks in primary they still did not completely dissolve, but were gone for the most part.

I kegged the beer Sunday and had my first sample yesterday. The lemongrass did not come through as much as I had hoped, next time I will at least double the amount and play around with how I add it to the boil, time etc. I may even add some to primary similar to what is suggested above. The ginger flavor is there, but not as strong as I had hoped. Next time I will experiment with adding a bit more earlier in the process, or perhaps experiment with fresh ginger? All and all not a bad brew, wish the flavors had came through a little more but its definitely crisp and refreshing which is all that matters when its 95' out :)

I find adding ginger works like adding hops. Drop them according to time in boil based on what you want, bittering, flavor, and aroma. In my lemon and ginger wit (5gal) I add 1oz every 15mins (60,45,30,15,0), this has worked out great for me.

Had anyone tried dry hopping with lemongrass? I just moved a basic saison to the secondary and was thinking of adding some for extra flavor.

Bumping an old thread. I'm going to try some lemongrass in my next saison. Anyone got any feedback of recent usage? 3711 yeast and a basic recipe like the below. This is my base saison for every experiment now. Does amazing with a Brett secondary.

Recipe: Saison Base
Brewer: Gus
Asst Brewer:
Style: Saison
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.97 gal
Post Boil Volume: 7.28 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 4.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 26.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.7 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 64.8 %
3 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 2 22.9 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.6 %
10.0 oz Acidulated (Weyermann) (1.8 SRM) Grain 4 4.8 %
1.50 oz Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 5 17.1 IBUs
1.50 oz Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 9.7 IBUs
1.0 pkg French Saison (Wyeast Labs #3711) [50.28 Yeast 7 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 2.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 19.61 qt of water at 157.3 F 148.0 F 75 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun , 6.45gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back