CO2 Tank Hydro's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guinness71

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, from what I know - Steel and Aluminum normally have different hydro requirements (Steel 5yr, Al 3 yrs) - Is this still true for CO2 tanks?

I might have a lead on a Steel tank thats slightly cheaper than an AL tank - if its true then the steel would be worth it in the hydro savings..

Thanks for the info!

You are confusing paintball tanks with regular CO2 tank which require testing every 5 years steel or aluminum.

According to the web site I just visited paintball co3 tank require testing steel every 3 years and aluminum every 5.

Ok, thanks - I know SCUBA cylinders are the same also, AL tanks are every three - Steel every 5 - I would have thought regardless of what gas goes into them, all cylinders would be the same since its a DOT thing.

Appreciate the info..

Guinness71 said:
Ok, thanks - I know SCUBA cylinders are the same also, AL tanks are every three - Steel every 5 - I would have thought regardless of what gas goes into them, all cylinders would be the same since its a DOT thing.

Appreciate the info..
Don't you mean irregardless?

abracadabra said:
Apparently aluminum SCUBA tanks started out with a 3 yr. hydro test requirement.

But now after a 2001 test date depending on the Mgf and the date of the mgf. they now require testing only every 5 yrs.

Thats probably it - thanks for clearing that up!

Back