Hop candy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonianBrewer

Reaction score
Any tired that new hop candy that's around B Hoppy it's really good I tired the Cascade

image-652057636.jpg

I've tried most of the flavors. We started carrying it at the LHBS I work at. I can't finish a piece. Some customers seem to like it. I'm also not a hophead in general. Give me some malted milk balls...

Any tired that new hop candy that's around B Hoppy it's really good I tired the Cascade

Thanks for trying and glad you liked it. It's kinda like Marmite, folks seem to either love it or hate it. That's one of the reasons I decided not to advertise in order to see if it's worth pursuing. After being around since late 2010, I'm finding myself with a lot less time to tend to my hops!

Hey, I didn't realize you were still around! Didn't know if you were still in business or not.

You actually inspired me to doing some experiments of my own. IPA Cotton Candy. NOT Cotton candy IPA.

I actually tested my theory with the last few of the box of candies you sent me all those years ago. I didn't show it in my original thread, but here's the pics of me making cotton candy with your candies.

78ACA3E8-5DFB-4845-B3D7-87B9E15BA21A-6685-000012134A0256BE_zps43e1dc4e.jpg

B5C37FC5-8520-4B32-8521-58EF444F564F-6685-0000121350C38016_zps9a7e8598.jpg

63D80DC4-177F-4BDC-A70B-6FDE982876FA-6685-00001213663AC69B_zpsb7a4c48f.jpg

You were the inspiration. :mug:

My buddy and I tried the cascade candy. We he loved it, I hated it, (but I do love cascade hops). Owner of the lhbs said they did some experiments using the candies as priming sugar. Haha

All of this. I must have all of this.

I just ran out of my sierra nevada hops flavored lip balm. My girlfriend thinks I have a problem... I think the real problem is she doesn't like the taste of hops, so it's kinda a smooch-deterrent

BHoppy, do you only use your own hops or do you buy others'? I feel like Simcoe candy would be probably the best thing to ever happen ever

Hey, I didn't realize you were still around! Didn't know if you were still in business or not.

You actually inspired me to doing some experiments of my own. IPA Cotton Candy. NOT Cotton candy IPA.

And I didn't realize that YOU were still around! Glad you're still on the planet and using what God gave you to further the homebrewing community! I'm having a blast and folks are doing some really funky stuff with the candy. Like was mentioned, Scott down at Defalco's said they carbonate pint bottles perfectly. A customer up in New Hampshire actually suggested the cotton candy thing just before Christmas. Lynn from Great Lakes Hops uses the EKG in his tea and a brewer over at Hoppin Frog throws them at unscrupulous law enforcement officers (he told me the story at Homebrew Day so he may have been a little 'altered' at the time)!

So far it's been to Paris a few times, Kent (UK), Nelson (NZ), Melbourne (AU), Milzano (IT) and up to St Catharines (Ontario) last week. I'm just happy to ship across the state let alone to those far away places. I have stickers now so STAND BACK, haha!

Stickers.jpg

I feel like Simcoe candy would be probably the best thing to ever happen ever

Actually, the Simcoe didn't come out very well. Some varieties work better than others. The one I'm most impressed with is Hersbrucker, it's like you're eating a flower (tons of Linalool). The interesting thing about the candy is that you taste what the hops have to offer without any interference by malt or yeast character like you would encounter when tasting them in a heavily late-hopped or dry hopped beer.

I actually use an extract as using the whole hops will yield a bunch of bitterness in the candy. If you ARE a fan of bitterness, a former customer of mine (now competitor) decided to run with my idea but added bitterness. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/08/dining/for-dad-candy-made-from-beer.html?_r=0. Believe me, I'm not promoting his company but everyone should have access to a choice of products due to everyone's individual palates. Maybe you like his, maybe you like mine, maybe none at all. It's all good in the end! Hoppy Trails!

Actually, the Simcoe didn't come out very well. Some varieties work better than others. The one I'm most impressed with is Hersbrucker, it's like you're eating a flower (tons of Linalool). The interesting thing about the candy is that you taste what the hops have to offer without any interference by malt or yeast character like you would encounter when tasting them in a heavily late-hopped or dry hopped beer.

I actually use an extract as using the whole hops will yield a bunch of bitterness in the candy. If you ARE a fan of bitterness, a former customer of mine (now competitor) decided to run with my idea but added bitterness. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/08/dining/for-dad-candy-made-from-beer.html?_r=0. Believe me, I'm not promoting his company but everyone should have access to a choice of products due to everyone's individual palates. Maybe you like his, maybe you like mine, maybe none at all. It's all good in the end! Hoppy Trails!

So the dumb question...I can't find a website for some reason...can I buy some from you?

I picked up a bag from Bells General Store last year and I thought they were pretty good (Cascade). I gave some out to different people and some liked and some did not. Have yet to sample the other varieties. I did not see them at Bells last time I was there, but I was in a hurry and just glanced where they were last time.

Hey, Bob- are you bringing those stickers to NHC? One would look great on my kegerator! :D

I like some of the candy more than others, but when I shared them with friends I got mixed reviews. I think an equal number of people liked them as those who really didn't.

I love cascade hops, but I like the goldings candy better.

I've had the EKG and the cascade. Iliked them both, but the cascade a little more. I'd definitely be interested in Hersbrucker, and would pay double for amarillo.

So the dumb question...I can't find a website for some reason...can I buy some from you?

No website is probably a good reason you can't find it! I'm wholesale only and the closest place to York is Scotzin Brothers if you're ever up that way. Keystone Homebrew just bought some a week or so ago. Other than that, some folks are selling it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=hop+candy. You can even get a bag of those slippery hopdrops while you're there, haha! There's a bunch more but you'll have to do a search for "hop candy", "cascade hop candy" , "b-hoppy candy" etc.. Still trying to figure out what to do without losing my mind and still having time for brewing, growing and my regular job. Thanks for the support!

Hey, Bob- are you bringing those stickers to NHC? One would look great on my kegerator! :D

I like some of the candy more than others, but when I shared them with friends I got mixed reviews. I think an equal number of people liked them as those who really didn't.

I love cascade hops, but I like the goldings candy better.

Yes Dear! Also trying to find time to do some more shirts:

shirts slippery rock 12.jpg

I'm glad I started this thread no one I know had ever heard of these but almost everyone I have given them to seem to like them and I'm happy to hear so many of us on HBT have had them keep up the good work it's almost time for another bag..... And a sticker would be great on my kegerator I'm trying to finish up

I missed you the last time I was in Boardman (early April), but at least I'll catch you in Philadelphia then!

Looks pretty good that I'll be there now that the whole 2012 thing is past. I'll have one for ya.

I'm glad I started this thread no one I know had ever heard of these but almost everyone I have given them to seem to like them and I'm happy to hear so many of us on HBT have had them keep up the good work it's almost time for another bag..... And a sticker would be great on my kegerator I'm trying to finish up

Hint, hint? Thanks again for trying man! Send me a sase (just in case, sase = an envelope addressed to YOU with a stamp on it) and I'll hook you up. No dig, but I know there's others like me out there (kinda). ps: just wondering where you got it?
'B-Hoppy'
6372 Struthers Road
Lowellville, OH 44436

Appreciate the help!

I will send that out soon . I got the B-Hoppy at Strangebrew in marlborough ma it's right down the street from me ... I hope they get more they only had a few left last week when I was there

Yes both , lol ! You guys meet at beer events , do you travel a lot for that kind of stuff? Also what Minneapolis Nhc?

Yes both , lol ! You guys meet at beer events , do you travel a lot for that kind of stuff? Also what Minneapolis Nhc?

I think Yooper gets around a lot more than I do and has family close to me. The National Homebrewers Conference in MN. was the first one I've been to since the early 90's when it was in Cleveland. I wasn't even legal until Oct. of 2010 but my friend Dave over at Freshops invited me out to share his booth with him in Minneapolis. So the NHC is my one big adventure/vacation each year.

Interesting that sounds like a blast, it was illegal in your state until 2010?! I can't believe just only now is it legal in all fifty states

Seriously! You guys all know each other...it's freakin me out. Must be the Templar's setting up brewing sleeper cells. It's a conspiracy I tell you!

Brewing conventions sound like fun. I didn't even know that was a thing!

Brewing conventions sound like fun. I didn't even know that was a thing!

And it's at your back door in 2013!

In 2014, it's in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

And it's strange, but it really does seem to be that brewing is a small world. It seems like many of us have met or know "friends of friends". There are a lot of contacts in brewing.

I can't remember if he said or not but I'm sure that if you call down there they'd be glad to tell you, great folks!
He actually did say that one candy did up a small 'better beer bottle'? just fine ~ pretty sure those are 16 ounce bottles.

Found it:

By the way, Bob. We tried an experiment recently that was a lot of fun. I had a Texas Brown Ale (hoppy brown), and we decided to bottle 4 EZ Cap half liter bottles. We tossed a Cooper's Carbonation drop plus around 1/4 tsp of corn sugar in one bottle as a control sample, and one each of the Cascades, Fuggles, and East Kent Goldings hop candy in the bottom of the other three bottles. The beers carbonated perfectly and you can tell a noticeable if still somewhat subtle difference between the four bottles. Thought you'd like to know.

Scott Birdwell
DeFalco's Home Wine & Beer Supplies

And it's at your back door in 2013!

In 2014, it's in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

And it's strange, but it really does seem to be that brewing is a small world. It seems like many of us have met or know "friends of friends". There are a lot of contacts in brewing.

Details please! And my madre lives in Michigan...perfect! Is homebrewing part of the "Up North way"?

Details please! And my madre lives in Michigan...perfect! Is homebrewing part of the "Up North way"?

I don't really know of much of a brewing culture where I live- that's why I am always on the internet- but in the southern Michigan area I know there are lots of brew clubs and activity.

The NHC is a yearly conference that sells out in a day. Tickets go on sale in February and the conference is in June. It runs Thursday-Saturday with seminars and events, but there are also pre-conference events on Wednesday as well as the national homebrew competition finals.

In 2014, it's at the DeVos Center in Grand Rapids.

I can't remember if he said or not but I'm sure that if you call down there they'd be glad to tell you, great folks!
He actually did say that one candy did up a small 'better beer bottle'? just fine ~ pretty sure those are 16 ounce bottles.

It's funny, cuz I was going to ask if you could bottle condition with the candies. I've done a few one off experiments with conditioning with things like root beer, cola, and cherry concentrate, but the candies could be perfect. I guess they're just sugar, and there's no gelatin or anything like that in there? I'll probably give it a go on my next bottling with one or two.

FarmerTed,

The individual candies weigh between 5-6 grams each if that helps and they're 100% fermentable. An acquaintance who runs Fort St. Brewery up near Detroit Keg-Carbed a couple different sixtels with the different varieties of candy and another brewer I'm friends with over in Slippery Rock, PA (North Country) used a few pounds late in the kettle on a Belgian IPA they made. I should start keeping track! Keep us posted and Happy Experimenting!

I've had the EKG and the cascade. Iliked them both, but the cascade a little more. I'd definitely be interested in Hersbrucker, and would pay double for amarillo.

Sorry, no Hersbrucker or Amarillo but there are a few new ones: https://leadersbeverage.com/product-category/hop-candy/. It still amazes me as to the unique flavors that come through in the high/super-alpha varieties. Did some trials with First Gold. . . cloves!!!

FarmerTed,
We just got an order that includes some Apollo hop candy. Man this stuff is good! If you ordered from https://leadersbeverage.com then I can tell you your order will be going out first thing in the morning. We're excited to hear how you compare the candy to the hop in your brew.

Bob,
Thanks for the link shout out and you know we'll take some of that First Gold when it is ready.

Latest posts

Back