St. Louis Style Ribs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
Today is slow smoked rib day out at the EdWort Ranch.

Here I have two slabs of pork ribs, trimmed St. Louis style. (BierMuncher & HarvinStl should know all about this). I've also pulled the membrane off the other side which lets the seasoning penetrate better and makes for a more tender rib when don.

Ribs1.jpg

Now I've sprinkled my dry rub on both sides and patted it in.

Ribs2.jpg

Finally, I have added a coating of mustard to the meaty side of the ribs and then added another coating of seasoning.

Ribs3.jpg

Now these are sitting in the fridge marinating till later today when I'll slap them on the egg for some slow cooking with Hickory smoke. (all the while drinking a beer and enjoying a stogie) :D

Stay tuned!

Looks good, if you're into tender, fall-off-the-bone, nicely seasoned ribs that make your mouth water just thinking about them. Yeah, if that's your thing, go ahead and enjoy it.:mug:

John Beere said:
Unless its some insider's secret - I'd really like to hear your procedures (time, temp, etc) to cook these on your egg...

I'm filling up the egg with hardwood lump charcoal right now, interspersing chucks of hickory wood. I'll light it with my MAPP torch in one place and slowly let it come up to 225 degrees where I will hold it all day. After the entire ceramic mass has stabilized at that temp, I will put the ribs on, indirect, over a drip pan for their slow cook for 3-4 hours.

Ribs on!

Ribs4.jpg

They'll slow smoke around 225 degrees for 3 hours, then I'll wrap them in foil for 30 minutes before putting them back on direct.

:off: , but you're the most likely guy to know, Ed ---- how much do Egg's cost? I think I really want to get one, probably a Medium size..... are we talkin' $200? $500? $1000?

Also, how do you remove the membrane from the other side? Is it tedious to do? I had never heard of doing that, but it makes fantastic sense.

All in all, looks VERY delicious!!! Now, can you help me prep this damned turkey that's been in my fridge for a week? I don't like any job involving the word "cavity".

chriso said:
:off: , but you're the most likely guy to know, Ed ---- how much do Egg's cost? I think I really want to get one, probably a Medium size..... are we talkin' $200? $500? $1000?

If he doesn't answer, I'll let you know tomorrow. I'm picking mine up tomorrow - hell or highwater!

It figures that the only place in town is at the FAR south end, and I'm way North. I checked their website but they don't even list Eggs on there. So I'm guessing they special-order them anyways. Rare that stores in Lincoln keep anything "odd" like that in stock. We just like mass-marketed products - Yay Webers and Char-broils!

For clarification - yeah, they are expensive. I'm guessing between $300~$500 for the large (what I'm after). But I can't find a single person who has buyer's remorse...

The few places around here that sell the large ones are from $650-700. Plenty worth it I would say. I REALLY want one.

Ahh, them ribs were good. Sorry it took so long. We had to finish dinner (German MIL made Nockerle too) and then I had to start a 2.5 gallon batch of Federweisser/Neuwein before I could upload these pics.

Ribs on the egg, direct after an hour in foil.

Ribs5.jpg

On the board before being devoured. A cleaver is the best way to cut ribs.

Ribs6.jpg

Total cook time 5 hours. They lasted less than 15 minutes.

EdWort,
Do those eggs give you an option to cook indirectly? Have you tried any Indian, like Tandoor recipes on it?

ma2brew said:
EdWort,
Do those eggs give you an option to cook indirectly? Have you tried any Indian, like Tandoor recipes on it?

Oh yeah, these ribs were cooked indirectly. I have a 14 inch pizza stone down in there below the drip pan. I've done tandori chicken on the egg many times. You can cook direct just above the hot coals, or up in the dome, and indirect for low & slow cooks like brisket, pulled pork & ribs. I also bake bread on it as well as pizza. It's pretty versatile for a grill/smoker and it's the only one that can sear a steak at 700+ degrees. The lifetime warranty is hard to beat too.

EdWort said:
Oh yeah, these ribs were cooked indirectly. I have a 14 inch pizza stone down in there below the drip pan. I've done tandori chicken on the egg many times. You can cook direct just above the hot coals, or up in the dome, and indirect for low & slow cooks like brisket, pulled pork & ribs. I also bake bread on it as well as pizza. It's pretty versatile for a grill/smoker and it's the only one that can sear a steak at 700+ degrees. The lifetime warranty is hard to beat too.
SOLD, I must have one!

I salute you. From one q'er to another. I've known a few people with the egg and they love it. Holds the heat well.
Looks like we do ribs real similar. I was waiting to see if and hoping you did add yellow mustard. I put mine on first to help hold the spices on and let the vinegar start on the meat. Love it.
Right after we finished the Choo-choo BBQ, we had a block party. I was able to fit 18 full racks on at one time and have them all come off at the same time. The neighbors were REALLY happy!

On the table that folds down behind me (next to 2 of the.....few brews I had that day are 2 of the 4 total aluminum pans that I filled.

IMG_2593.jpg

PS Ever do a turkey on the egg? I tried for it Christmas. Dayyum it wuz gud!

Bought a Big Green Egg today - been posting about it in another thread. We decided to try this rib recipe for it's inaugural run. Here is the finished product:

4141-ribs.jpg

We had already eaten about half of them before I had the presence of mind to take a photo. Both my wife and I agree that they were, without a doubt, the best ribs we have ever had!

I like the egg but it makes my BBQ seem sort of ghetto..

DSCF2446.jpg

But there is NO argueing with results...

DSCF2441.jpg

I've cooked a whole case of St Louis ribs on her at once and they came out perfect. I open her up every few houirs and move the racks around for more even cooking.

PTN

Ghetto is good! Get the smoke anyway you can! The smokestack rocks. It extends beyond the picture. How big is that pig?

EdWort said:
Ghetto is good! Get the smoke anyway you can! The smokestack rocks. It extends beyond the picture. How big is that pig?

It's only about 80 lbs. I've done them as big as 225 in the roaster but it gets a little snug.

And the smokestack is an exhaust pipe from a city of Boston ambulance. Or if would have been if it ever reached the garage. But I don't know anything about that.

You should come up to the Boston Spring Fling. I'll do another pig.

Paul

chriso said:
:

how do you remove the membrane from the other side? Is it tedious to do? I had never heard of doing that, but it makes fantastic sense.

It is not that hard to do. Start off with a very sharp pairing knife and cut just under the silver skin on the back of the ribs. Hold the blade as level to the meat as possible while getting started . Once you have a corner up it will normally just pull off (takes a bit of force, but take it slow and it will come off)but if it tears, just start from the opposite corner.

chriso said:
Also, how do you remove the membrane from the other side? Is it tedious to do? I had never heard of doing that, but it makes fantastic sense.
Here's an excellent description and video:
[youtube]A9plB5BYhj8[/youtube]

It really makes a big difference in the texture of the ribs when you eat them, and also allows much better penetration of spices to the inner side of the rack.

WOW. That video is great, I had no idea it was so stupid-simple! :D

Can't wait to try this out!!! mmmmmmmmm ribsssssssssss...... I need to go find some lunch now. :cross:

paulthenurse said:
I like the egg but it makes my BBQ seem sort of ghetto..

DSCF2446.jpg

But there is NO argueing with results...

DSCF2441.jpg

I've cooked a whole case of St Louis ribs on her at once and they came out perfect. I open her up every few houirs and move the racks around for more even cooking.

PTN

Holy **** Batman!!! a whole fU&*ing pig!! That is way cool.:rockin:

bobjenkins79 said:
What is it about these egg grills that makes them worth all that money:confused:
I'm told by a fellow I know that owns one, plus from reading in the BBQ newsgroup (alt.food.barbecue) that they hold temperature very well (i.e., very stable). Another brand I've heard does so as well is the Komodo:

http://www.kamado.com/Description.htm

Stable temperature is critical to good barbecue. I figured, at least for now, the difference between those and my Weber could be spent on meat. :)

Rick

at least for now, the difference between those and my Weber could be spent on meat. :)

Rick

My thoughts exactly. A buddy of mine gave me some plans to build a smoker out of one of those old-style metal trash cans. It's be really cool as a novelty, but by the time you buy the trash can, the heat plate, the grill, and all the other BS, it's actually more expensive than just getting an el cheapo style smoker. I guess I'll stick w/ the Brinkmann til I hit the lottery.

bob

Back