What options if not comfy cutting the pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vnmyers13

Reaction score
Like everyone else really looking to go electric. What options do I have if I don't want to cut the kettle myself?

I don't have a punch so adding to the bill with the tools. Just trying to see what else I can do.

I know of one manufacturer who is planning to produce a 240V, 5500 Watt element that hangs over the side of your brew pot. But it's just in the design stage right now.

Option 1: buy tools (punch, step bit, whatever you chose yo use) and DIY.
Option 2: Take it to a machine shop, pay them to do it.
Option 3: Find a friend with the tools to borrow.
Option 4: Buy a pre-fabbed kettle like the Blichman

In the overall scheme of things 1 is not that expensive, 2 and 4 will likely be quite expensive, and 3 depends entirely on your social circle.

Assuming you already have a drill, for about $12 one of these works just fine:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202327734/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=1+1%2F4+hole+saw&storeId=10051

You do need a drill with a big enough chuck to hold a 1/2 inch bit though.

Edit: I just re-read your post, are you uncomfortable with cutting a hole in your pot or just feel the tools you need would be too expensive? Do a search on heat-sticks and you'll find an option for electric heating without installing an element directly to your pot. I think they'll work fine but it's probably easier/cheaper to do the direct install even if you have to buy a drill. Plus then you'll have a drill that will last you a lifetime.

Thanks. Spent some more time reading how Kal did it and realized it's not as daunting and the only thing i need is the punch. Will be embarking on this endeavor when the 1 year old daughter and SWMBO allows.

The punches are great but expensive. If you can borrow one, use it. Otherwise, go the hole saw route.

When I used the hole saw on my panel it was hard to keep it straight and I kinda gouged out the holes somewhat. What's the best way to use these? And does the 1 1/4" saw make a hole that size or bigger?

I don't know the tolerance requirements on standard hole saws so I don't know if they are bigger or smaller than 1-1/4". It doesn't matter, the important thing is that the 1-1/4" saw makes the right sized hole for a standard 1" heating element. You'll also need a 1 inch SS lock-nut and a silicone O-ring if you don't already have them.

There's nothing really special about keeping the drill straight. Just try to keep the pressure even on all sides.

i would use a step bit over a hole saw. With that said I found someone (through here) that let me borrow a punch

I think I am going to get a pot from High Gravity and have them do that hole. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Back