Brewing a ipa but not sure how long to boil and what temps to use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think a 60 minute boil is sufficient for this recipe. Safale US-05 is a very forgiving yeast temperature-wise. I'd probably aim for somewhere around 68 F.

Looks like a good recipe -- were you able to obtain the Simcoe and Amarillo hops, as I noted Brewmasters Warehouse was out of stock.

60 minute boil is fine, I'd personally mash at 150-152, ferment in the mid 60's.

I'd be hesitant to use that much honey malt in a recipe unless you've confirmed it's what you're looking for. A little bit of honey malt can go a long way, so I'd personally drop it down to 8oz if it's still feasible to do so.

Looks good otherwise!

They have them they just don't say they do on web cuz they sell out so fast. What temp would you mash this at would you say?

Mash temp depends on how dry a finish you want. I usually shoot for 152 with my IPAs....S-05 tends to attenuate really well for me.

The lower the mash temp, the drier the beer will turn out...just try to keep it above 148. Aim for 152, and as long as you're a few degrees within that range you'll be golden.

I tend to mash higher than most folks, cause I like a full bodied beer to help offset all those hops, so I'd probably mash at 154. Around 152 is probably pretty good. Remember the higher you mash temp, the more unfermentables you get.

image-1772745575.jpg

Happy beer

Back