Kegerator/Keezer/Both?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheEndlessObsession

Reaction score
Figured I'd get some advice here before I did any real work.

I recently acquired a chest freezer that I had planned on using for a keezer build. But it just occurred to me that I might be better off using said freezer for lagering/storage/etc. and buying a small fridge to make a kegerator.

What do you guys think? Should I spend a little extra and buy a mini-fridge, or is there some way I can make the freezer work for everything?

I don't think there is a way to make one work for everything. Looks like you need to buy both.

I bought both. I have a freezer in my garage that I use for lagering, fermenting, etc, and a mini-fridge that I converted into a kegerator in my bar room.

The only way I see making the freezer work for everything would be doing 1 batch at a time. So brew, ferment it in the freezer at say 65F, then keg it and crank the freezer down to say 38F. When that beer runs out you can brew again and turn it back up to 65F. It would work, but I wouldn't like having that much lag time between batches.

Brett, that was my whole thought process, tbh. I hate the idea of having to wait so much between brews and having to fiddle with temps so often.

Guess I'm gonna bite the bullet and get a fridge and two temp. controllers.

I have both a keezer and a kegerator. My basement stays around 68 most of the time so I haven't tried lagering yet just use the keezer for miscellaneous craft beers and home brew. The kegerator (at least for now) is for the party beer and the swmbo so it holds a commercial keg of mich ultra.

Latest posts

Back