Priming Sugar Amount?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spazzy

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I had some extra ingredients and I brewed a 1 gallon batch. I will be bottling it later today. I'm assuming that I just divide the 3/4c priming sugar by 5 to get .15 cups. I then converted that to tablespoons for ~2.5.

2.5 tablespoons just seems like a tiny amount though. Anyone care check my work?

It's always better to measure priming sugar (or any dry ingredient for that matter) by weight instead of volume. Recently Alton Brown did a demo where he had two identical sized containers of flour one where the flour appeared to fill more of the container then the other. When he weighed them the larger appearing volume of flour actually weighed the same as the container that appeared to have less. Dry material will settle. So measuring by volume is faulty.

So get a cheap digital scale and weigh out your sugar instead.

That being the case, the "standard" for producing between 2 and 2.5 volumes of co2 (the average carb level for most beers) is 1 ounce/gallon of beer.

Just thought I would add on instead of starting a new thread. I'm about to bottle my Belgian Tripel I've had in primary for 2 1/2 weeks. I am going to use table sugar for the first time for priming and can't figure out how much to use for 5 gallons. I plugged in the into that calculator but the amounts given doesn't seem right. Any ideas?

Back