Dry hopping for a Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rancid45

Reaction score
I am a malt extract beginner brewer who is trying to come up with a Dry hopped Pale Ale recipe. I have never created my own recipe or dry hopped before. I am looking for suggestions on a tasty Pale Ale recipe that might work well with dry hopping, how long to dry hop, and what types of hops work best for dry hopping. Thanks in advance.

You can use virtually any hop to dry hop. I put 1oz in each hop sack that I'm going to dry hop with. There are many pale ale recipes in the recipe section at the top of the forum page. Including my Sunset Gold APA extract recipe. I used US Perle & Czech Saaz,but you can also use something like Columbus,Centennial,&/or Cascade. 1oz of 2 different hops works well in this case.

peruse the recipe section for a Pale Ale that sounds good -

Dry Hopping is easy. If you like english pale ales, you'll want to use European hops, if you like the west coast (american) pale ales, you want to steer toward the "c" hops - Cascade, Centennial, CTZ (Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus - same thing), + Amarillo, Simcoe.

Really hoppy? 2 ounces, 1 week+
mildly hoppy? 1 ounce, 4 days...

good luck...

also, although a vast majority of us now advocate Primary fermentation for the duration (3-6 weeks), I have found that the trub seems to absorb some of my efforts. So...I now transfer to a secondary to dry hop.

I sound like a broken record but I'm a complete sucker for and stand by the aroma of Amarillo. If you can find it right now and for a decent price, dry hopping an ounce would do your pale wonders in the aroma department.

Yep, Amarillo is perfect for dry hopping and Amarillo+Citra has done some great things for me too.

When I was first looking to make recipes I'd find a clone of a beer that I liked and then maybe tinker around with the hops a little. Get the recipe for your favorite pale, find a hop with an appealing description and add a little of that to the 15 min addition to see what it does.

The other thing I've found very helpful is software like BeerSmith. It's a lot of fun to sit and play around with designing recipes and it's nice to be able to see what each hop addition will do to IBUs etc.

peruse the recipe section for a Pale Ale that sounds good -

Dry Hopping is easy. If you like english pale ales, you'll want to use European hops, if you like the west coast (american) pale ales, you want to steer toward the "c" hops - Cascade, Centennial, CTZ (Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus - same thing), + Amarillo, Simcoe.

Really hoppy? 2 ounces, 1 week+
mildly hoppy? 1 ounce, 4 days...

good luck...

also, although a vast majority of us now advocate Primary fermentation for the duration (3-6 weeks), I have found that the trub seems to absorb some of my efforts. So...I now transfer to a secondary to dry hop.
hello, 1 ounce per liter or 1 once for the whole batch? what batch size do we have in mind? i am also looking to try what you're suggesting. thanks in advance!!!

hello, 1 ounce per liter or 1 once for the whole batch? what batch size do we have in mind? i am also looking to try what you're suggesting. thanks in advance!!!
You replied to a rather old thread (but welcome to HBT).

I am pretty sure the suggestion was 1 to 2 oz of dry hops per 5 gal /19 L batch of Pale Ale. That has generally been my target range...though 3, 4, or more are not uncommon these days for hoppy Pale Ales.

When selecting hops for dry hopping you have to look at the total oil content, the higher the more flavor it will release.

Back