IPA Hops...Best/Worst???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking for 5 gal, 1 oz chinook at 60, 1/2 oz each at 15,5, flame out???

Hey sorry for the delay, its wood stacking weekend.

I plugged your numbers into Beersmith and ~50 IBU I personally, would go 1/1/1/1 across the board, I don't know if you will get the full hop punch in the face with those numbers. I use the 1/.5/.5/1 for my APA and I shoot around 1.055 with that.

What is your recipe? Are you aiming for 1.060+ beer? If so, I would add more hops.

I plugged your numbers into Beersmith and ~50 IBU I personally, would go 1/1/1/1 across the board, I don't know if you will get the full hop punch in the face with those numbers. I use the 1/.5/.5/1 for my APA and I shoot around 1.055 with that.

What is your recipe? Are you aiming for 1.060+ beer? If so, I would add more hops.[/QUOTE]

I don't really have a recipe. I think we maybe mis-communicating. I'm talking a total or 4 oz. One of Chinook at the start, then .5 of Chinook and Cascade each, total of 1 oz. at 15 min 5 min and flame out. Not enough total hops? Too much Chinook for the Cascade?

I have some extra hops vacuum sealed in the freezer from summer brews. Thinking of doing an IPA with Galena for bittering, Sorachi Ace and Cascade for flavor and aroma, and dry hop with Amarillo, Hallertau, and cascade. Hoping for a strong citrus blend with a good floral pressence.

I don't really have a recipe. I think we maybe mis-communicating. I'm talking a total or 4 oz. One of Chinook at the start, then .5 of Chinook and Cascade each, total of 1 oz. at 15 min 5 min and flame out. Not enough total hops? Too much Chinook for the Cascade?

Ah! I see yes, we were on a different path.

Recipe: chinook cascade ipa TYPE: All Grain
Style: American IPA
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
SRM: 9.2 SRM SRM RANGE: 6.0-15.0 SRM
IBU: 66.9 IBUs Tinseth IBU RANGE: 40.0-70.0 IBUs
OG: 1.065 SG OG RANGE: 1.056-1.075 SG
FG: 1.016 SG FG RANGE: 1.010-1.018 SG
BU:GU: 1.028 Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz Est ABV: 6.5 %
EE%: 75.00 % Batch: 5.00 gal Boil: 7.77 gal BT: 60 Mins

---WATER CHEMISTRY ADDITIONS----------------

Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs Total Hops: 5.00 oz oz.
---MASH/STEEP PROCESS------MASH PH:5.40 ------
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD WATER CHEMICALS BEFORE GRAINS!!<<<<<<<
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 91.7 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.3 %

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 18.20 qt of water at 161.6 F 152.0 F 60 min

---SPARGE PROCESS---
>>>>>>>>>>-RECYCLE FIRST RUNNINGS & VERIFY GRAIN/MLT TEMPS: 72.0 F/72.0 F
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD BOIL CHEMICALS BEFORE FWH
Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.18gal, 4.29gal) of 168.0 F water

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.048 SG Est OG: 1.065 SG
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 43.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 4 4.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 10.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 3.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 4.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

---FERM PROCESS-----------------------------
Primary Start: 10/16/2012 - 14.00 Days at 67.0 F
Secondary Start: 10/30/2012 - 10.00 Days at 65.0 F
Style Carb Range: 2.20-2.70 Vols
Bottling Date: 10/30/2012 with 2.3 Volumes CO2:
---NOTES------------------------------------

That actually looks pretty good! I personally, don't like mixing my bittering and flavor hops, but give it a shot! Hell, I might try this as its something I don't normally do. I'm a huge fan of the cascade taste and the chinook bittering which is why I keep them separated.

I suspect it will have a nice punch!

That actually looks pretty good! I personally, don't like mixing my bittering and flavor hops, but give it a shot! Hell, I might try this as its something I don't normally do. I'm a huge fan of the cascade taste and the chinook bittering which is why I keep them separated.

I suspect it will have a nice punch![/QUOTE]

I'm an extract guy but I think I get it. That has been my question all along, mixing the two as you go. Will this be a great mix of piney / citrus with a punch, or a muddy bitter mess?
If it works, next step is to switch out cascade for centennial to jack it up a but maybe?

I'm an extract guy but I think I get it. That has been my question all along, mixing the two as you go. Will this be a great mix of piney / citrus with a punch, or a muddy bitter mess?
If it works, next step is to switch out cascade for centennial to jack it up a but maybe?

It will be a piny / citrus punch. There are lots of recipes that mix. I've done several amirillo simcoe IPAs that were awesome. It is personal preference, and particularly I love cascade, I grow it in my back yard, its up to you, and its really hard to make a muddy mess.

[ I love cascade, I grow it in my back yard, its up to you, and its really hard to make a muddy mess.[/QUOTE]
I'm a Cascade fan as well, Mirror Pond is one of my favorite beers. If you see someone sneaking around the garden, please don't shot or send the dogs, I don't want to get hurt.

togodoug said:
[ I love cascade, I grow it in my back yard, its up to you, and its really hard to make a muddy mess.
I'm a Cascade fan as well, Mirror Pond is one of my favorite beers. If you see someone sneaking around the garden, please don't shot or send the dogs, I don't want to get hurt.[/QUOTE]

Depending on the crop yield, I'd watch my ass.

Hello there, I'm new at the home brew world. Since I work offshore I don't have much time to prepare many batches, so I do it BIAB all-grain style, 5 lt at a time.

Wanted to know from y'all about a combo from Citra and New Zealand hops, would it be good or... ?

Cheers, From Brazil

Hello there, I'm new at the home brew world. Since I work offshore I don't have much time to prepare many batches, so I do it BIAB all-grain style, 5 lt at a time.

Wanted to know from y'all about a combo from Citra and New Zealand hops, would it be good or... ?

Cheers, From Brazil

I LOVE NZ hops! Green Bullet is fantastic for bittering, flavor, and aroma. I also like Motueka, Nelson Sauvin and Gem as well. I've never paired them with Citra but I imagine they'd play nice as long as you don't go heavy on the citra

I just did a nelson and citra beer, it was as great as you would imagine!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

I like bittering with chinook
And my favorite flavor and aroma hops are Nelson Sauvin, Simcoe, Nelson Sauvin, amarillo, mosaic and Nelson Sauvin.
I'll usually use a fruity citrusy combo of like nelson, amarillo and or citra and balance them out a bit with simcoe.

I just dryhopped a beer with nelson, citra, amarillo, and apollo. Smells awesome

I'm rocking Super Alpha w/Simcoe, Amarillo and Mt Rainier hops as I type.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The quick answer to your question...."It depends on your own taste."
That's why is home brew, to make beer the way YOU want it to taste. Some folks really like simcoe and amarillo. Personally, I did not like them at all.

If you look through the recipe archives hard enough, you can probably find someone's post about using hops that you are considering. The same goes with grains. Take it all into the "hair covered computer" and go for it! Trust me, it will get drank!:rockin:

One thing i like to do is make ipa's with only one flavor/aroma hop. I find it helps me get a better understanding of there profile. I usually bitter with a high alpha (magnum, horizon, etc) and then finish with what ever hop i want to learn about. I find i like the single hop brew way better than anything I've blended

My current favorite is Mosaic...it is so complex and different tasting.

Others that I am a big fan of:

Simcoe (duh)
Amarillo
Nugget
Centennial
El Dorado
Galaxy
Nelson Sauvin (in moderation)
Apollo
Columbus

Any combination of the above mentioned usually makes for a tasty IPA IMO.

I love how the guy with the screenname "two hearted" says his favorite hop is centennial, so funny

Anybody ever try warrior. I bought some on a whim and will be using it in a couple of weeks. Any thoughts. I normally use cascade, centennial and citra.
Thanks in advance

Latest posts

Back