Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1 lb. quick (cut and rolled) oats
4 lbs. 6-row pale malted barley
1/2 lb. crystal malt (perhaps black patent instead?)
1/2 lb. chocolate malt
1/2 lb. roasted barley
3.3 (or more like 4.3 or so) Dark DME
2 tsp. gypsum
2 oz. Williamette Hops (Bittering)
1/2 oz. Hallertauer hops (flavor)
1/4 oz. Hallertauer hops (aroma)
1/4 tsp. Irish moss
American or Irish ale-type yeast.

Any help/suggestions would be great.
Thanks! :mug:

I don't think you need any Irish Moss because stouts are so dark that clarity is not really an issue. Also, I think your hops may be a bit on the heavy side, but that is just a matter of preference. Good luck!

First of all, thank you DB and everybody else for the amazing thread. It's taken me three days off and on to read it, but it's all so valuable!

This is a fairly specific recipe question. I want a pretty big oatmeal stout with some good roasted character. It is based off of "Ucklduckfay Oatmeal Stout" from the Papazian book with a few minor changes, partially inspired by other oatmeal stout recipes on this site. Can someone tell me if this seems plausible with the method this post describes?

1 lb. quick (cut and rolled) oats
4 lbs. 6-row pale malted barley
1/2 lb. crystal malt (perhaps black patent instead?)
1/2 lb. chocolate malt
1/2 lb. roasted barley
3.3 (or more like 4.3 or so) Dark DME
2 tsp. gypsum
2 oz. Williamette Hops (Bittering)
1/2 oz. Hallertauer hops (flavor)
1/4 oz. Hallertauer hops (aroma)
1/4 tsp. Irish moss
American or Irish ale-type yeast.

Any help/suggestions would be great.
Thanks! :mug:

Have you done your water profile to be certain you need the gypsum? Adding it in there when you don't need it is not necessarily a good thing.

Also, I calculate ~6.5 lbs of grain. When it gets wet, it will be a lot heavier. Don't underestimate how big a bag you need to hold that much grain, and also how big of a pot of water you'll need for sparging.

2 ounces of bittering hops is probably unnecessary. If you're doing a 60-minute boil it's my opinion that you don't need to use a low-alpha hop for that bittering. Save yourself a little cash and get less of a high-alpha hop. If you want to be a purist, or if you think that aroma persists in minute amounts after that long of a boil, then do what you feel is best. :)

Fuggles or EKG might be a more characteristic hop for stouts, IMO.

Irish moss is not necessary, I agree, but it won't hurt either.

Which crystal malt were you going to use? 60L is probably what you're thinking, and it adds a really nice caramel-toasted-marshmallow note to beers. Is that what you were going for? Black patent is VERY bitter and VERY dark... you barely need any at all. Add maybe an ounce if you want to darken the color up a lot. Use a calculator to find the best solution.

If you want the beer to be kinda sweet, mash at a higher temp (155F) and use the Irish yeast. American yeast will dry it out, so that would be good for a dry stout. If you don't have a lockdown on how you mash, you might consider adding a couple ounces of lactose to sweeten the beer a bit for a sweet stout, or just a few ounces of corn sugar to help dry it out if you are going for a dry stout.

The above is purely my opinion. I've brewed precisely *one* stout recipe, though... so take it for what it's worth.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the replies, guys.

The hops did seem a bit on the heavy side, I'll probably at least tone down the bittering hops. I'll considering changing the Hallertauer to Fuggles as well, I just wanted to try something a little different. As for the crystal I was definitely thinking of something on the darker side. I don't think I need the black patent or the Irish moss after your suggestions and thinking about it a bit more. I've only done two stout recipes, so it's still all a learning experience for sure!

I realize it's a lot of grain, but by my calculations a five gallon pot would be large enough, correct? After that it's mostly an issue of the bag, I feel.

Thanks again!:mug:

If you're worried about bag-size, check out paint strainers. They work pretty darned well.

Also, you need to decide if you want dry or sweet stout. If you want dry then: don't use Crystal, use the American yeast, add the Black Patent for roastiness, and consider adding some roasted barley for the burnt coffee flavor. :) If you want a sweet stout, use Crystal 60 or 80, use the Irish yeast, skip the Black Patent (but keep the chocolate), and consider adding a smidgen (about 1 ounce) of lactose.

I read up on stouts last night, and that's the gist of what I picked up. Good luck to you!

I am new to brewing but wanted to share my thoughts on using Irish Moss in a stout. Clarity is not an issue but I think using Irish Moss and letting the beer sit in the secondary a week can help reduce the amount of sludge in the bottom of the bottle. Just made a RIS and did not use Irish Moss or a secondary and have more sludge in the bottle than I like. Will try Irish Moss and secondary next time and see what happens.

Justibone, enjoyed your comments. Where did you "read up" on stouts? Have read Charlie Papazian's book "Joy of Home Brewing" and am reading John Palmer's book "How to Brew". Neither seem to have a section on stouts where adjusting the recipe for body, flavour etc is discussed. I am sure the info is there, just not in one easy to find chapter. Any thoughts?

Justibone, enjoyed your comments. Where did you "read up" on stouts? Have read Charlie Papazian's book "Joy of Home Brewing" and am reading John Palmer's book "How to Brew". Neither seem to have a section on stouts where adjusting the recipe for body, flavour etc is discussed. I am sure the info is there, just not in one easy to find chapter. Any thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0937381926/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

That's where I read it. I also have

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0937381500/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

but I didn't read the stout section in there. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. There is SOOOO much to learn about brewing. Sometimes I have to read a book and apply the advice before I really understand what the hell they were talking about. It is a long process but worth doing.

Step 5:
Dispose of your grains and spray all the grains out of your bag. Hang it to dry for a bit...you'll be using it again soon.

[/QUOTE]

Save the grains if you know anyone with backyard chickens.... they love this sweet grain.

I am a pretty new brewer. I always do a partial mash just like this thread and my beer has always turned out good, but very dark. Every time my beers have turned out darker than they should, especially for the style I am making. Do you know what could be going wrong? I usually steep for 45 to an hour @ 150 degrees, sparge with a gallon of water, add water to 5 gal, bring to a boil, add the extract then boil for 1 hour.

Also. I am confused about your step 10...?

Davious said:
. Every time my beers have turned out darker... bring to a boil, add the extract then boil for 1 hour.

Try adding the extract at 15 minutes. Boiling it for the full hour is often quoted as yielding a darker than intended color.

When I switched to small all-grain batches (half-gallon, using this method), my beers got lighter and beautiful. Except for the ones that are supposed to be dark, of course.

I think extract just makes darker beers. *shrug*

Step 10:
Ferment...i split this 5 gallon batch into two 3 gallon fermenters and topped off with bottled water. Be sure the top-off water is sanitary...either boil and cool some h20 or use bottled water, if you'd like.

With this beer, I used two different yeasts (nottingham and windsor) and eventually blended them back together into one keg.

As for target gravity, i usually shoot for the middle of the style at 65% efficiency. i've experienced as low as 55%, but it's usually in the 65-70 range. as this is meant to be an enjoyable brew day, i don't take a sample until the beer is finished, poured and topped off.

So, this step is pretty easy. Just pour the beer into your fermentor. What he did with this batch was ferment it in two separate carboys, using two different yeasts. He didn't have to do it that way -- he was just experimenting or something. One fermentor and one yeast is the usual way to do things.

As for gravity, that's the content of the sugar in the wort, if that's what is confusing you. Since no process is 100% efficient, he comments here that he tends to only get about 65% (70% with a longer sparge, he mentions) of the sugars from grains as he would from extract. If you are doing partial mash to get some of your fermentables, you have to know the percentage so that your hops are in balance and your ABV% isn't too low. To calculate your gravity, use a hydrometer towards the end of the boil (cool your sample; hydrometers can be adjusted for temperature but boiling is a bit too hot for accurate measurements). I like to do it at the end of the boil (and I use a refractometer instead of a hydrometer) because my volume is about right... you can do it at the beginning of the boil but it takes a bit more math to account for the boil-off volume.

Did you have a more specific question, or did I answer it?

He said that he eventually blended them back together into one keg, that's what I'm confused on. Also, when he splits the 5 gal into (2) 2.5 gallons in two 3 gal carboys, does he "top off" to reach 3 gallons in each carboy then?

He said that he eventually blended them back together into one keg, that's what I'm confused on.

Yeast are probably the third largest contributor to flavor. It's not too crazy that an experienced brewer would wonder what would happen if you blended them.

Also, when he splits the 5 gal into (2) 2.5 gallons in two 3 gal carboys, does he "top off" to reach 3 gallons in each carboy then?

No, you generally don't "top-off" beer. The CO2 blanket created by fermentation is usually protection enough. If you make wine, you know that you don't top off the primary or even the secondary fermentation with wine, either, but rather you top off after the first racking.

Topping off is done to reduce surface area for gas exchange. That's not a problem for most beers, unless you plan to bulk-age it (as in barleywine, Tripels, doppelbocks, etc.).

I'm sure this is in here somewhere, but I can't find it. I want to do a full boil via partial mash for a 5 gallon batch. I only have 6.25lbs of grain, so I'd have about 2.5 gallons of strike water. If I only sparge with 2 gallons, can you just top off with an extra 1.5 gallons of water before boiling to get to 6 or so gallons or should I wait until after I've added the extract (about 4-5 lbs of it) to see where I'm at? I also thought about just boiling with the 4.5 gallons and topping off in the fermenter like I usually do. Any suggestions?

I used the standard 24X24 grain bag recommended, and there was a large amount of grain husks in the boil. Has anyone else noticed this as well and if so, did you have any tannin issues?

I haven't brewed for a few years. Getting back into hb with a hefe. Thanks dude!:rockin:

I used the standard 24X24 grain bag recommended, and there was a large amount of grain husks in the boil. Has anyone else noticed this as well and if so, did you have any tannin issues?

were your grains double crushed?

is this the 24x24 "medium" grain bag? i was thinking of purchasing that one myself..

I'm sure this is in here somewhere, but I can't find it. I want to do a full boil via partial mash for a 5 gallon batch. I only have 6.25lbs of grain, so I'd have about 2.5 gallons of strike water.

You can do 1-2 quarts of water per lb of grain, generally. More water means a maltier beer, so style matters for how much water you use. You could use 6.25 quarts (1.5+ gallons) or up to 12.5 quarts (3+ gallons). Your number of 2.5 gallons is a middle number.

If I only sparge with 2 gallons, can you just top off with an extra 1.5 gallons of water before boiling to get to 6 or so gallons or should I wait until after I've added the extract (about 4-5 lbs of it) to see where I'm at?

You should top up with your sparge water, of course, but if you use more than that is a matter of preference. The question is, why use only 2 gallons for the sparge? I often do two sparges, once with my calculated sparge water that is warmed to the proper temperature (to better dissolve the sugars), and then I sparge again with my room-temperature top-off water. Does it increase my efficiency? I think so... but not by much.

I'd say, don't boil your extract too much. Boiling your extract, or not boiling, does change hop utilization slightly, but software can account for that. So long as your concentration of sugar in the boil is the same, it doesn't matter what the volume is if you just care about hop utilization. So should you add your extract to get to your sugar concentration for hop utilization? I don't think so. I'd just kinda go with it... most people don't notice that small of a difference in IBUs. That's my opinion. It depends on the recipe, though.

I also thought about just boiling with the 4.5 gallons and topping off in the fermenter like I usually do. Any suggestions?

I personally prefer topping off in the fermenter with cold water, it helps get those last few degrees down (from 100F down to 80F).

That's just my opinion.

Thanks for the tip. I just realized that my largest stockpot is only 5 gallons anyways. Means I'll be cutting it darn close when I add 5lbs of DME....

Don't cut it close, boilovers are a huge mess. Also, you should use Fermcap-S or another kreusen additive in your boil if you use a small pot. :eek:

Yeah, I know. I had a boil-over with my pumpkin ale a few weeks ago. Took me a solid hour to clean it up, not to mention I lost a full gallon of beer and my OG took a nosedive. I usually keep a spray bottle w/ clean water on hand to hit the foam when it starts boiling. Although that involves me actually paying attention to it. ;)

I'll see if I can't borrow a larger pot for this brew or just sparge with less water.

Thanks for the detailed breakdown. I've brewed about 30 brews and they seem to be getting less and less tastier. In the beginning it was just the can of extract plus some DME and damn every brew was good. Now I most often use the can of extract, some grains and DME or LME (along with at least one variety of hops). The question I was hoping to answer when I read your post was about when to put in the extract compared to the grains. Now having learned from your post the right way to go about it, I look forward to my next brew. The mistake I've been making is putting the extract and the grains in near the beginning. You used DME (right?) but I'm assuming it's the same with a can of extract in that I want to get the conversion of the grains done first (the time consumer) and then introduce the DME or LME. Have I got this all right?

Beyond that, I have 3 other questions for you:
1) How much attention do you pay to fermenting temperatures? Do you have or have you considered one of those mats where you set the electronic gadget to the desired temp or do you rely on room temp./blankets etc.?

2) I often brew some pretty big beers. The latest IPA for example, was a calculated 7.7% before bottle conditioning. I achieved this using 1 liter LME, 500 g of DME, and 2000 g of glucose. My question: Should I have used more than 1 packet of yeast that came with this set? It seems I still managed to get the yeast working hard and convert a lot of sugars...

3) Do you keg everything or bottle and brewing many times a week, if you bottle you must have to purchase a lot of new bottles right? Got a good source? Do you recycle bottles?

Thanks in advance for any more helpful insight you may be able to offer.
fred

Thanks for the detailed breakdown. I've brewed about 30 brews and they seem to be getting less and less tastier.

Have you replaced your fermenter? After 30 brews, you might have picked up a bacteria or two in a tube or a hose or something. If your taste is consistently less-good than it used to be, it might be time to retire - or at least bleach - some of your equipment that touches the beer post-boil.

In the beginning it was just the can of extract plus some DME and damn every brew was good.

I would suggest your palate was less developed at that time. That was the case when I started. ;)

Now I most often use the can of extract, some grains and DME or LME (along with at least one variety of hops).

If you don't like how it's going now, decrease the complexity. Try it with just DME/LME, then add in your own hops, and when it is still good, add in just a small amount (1-4 oz.) of grain. Build from a solid foundation.

The question I was hoping to answer when I read your post was about when to put in the extract compared to the grains.

Most people will get better results putting half (or less than half) of their malt extract in at the beginning of the boil and the rest in at the end. There are a couple of caveats:

1) LME - you should remove the pot from the heat and stir vigorously so that you don't scorch on the bottom of the pot. Heating the container slightly prior to opening it makes the LME easier to handle.

2) DME - it can be a pain to get it to dissolve, so don't wait until the last 10 minutes... it might take 20 or so just to get it to dissolve properly, depending on how much you are using, and how much of your recipe is counting on DME for fermentables.

For barleywines, bocks and scotch ales, I think boiling all of the malt the whole time to get extra residual sweetness is a good thing. My $.02!

Now having learned from your post the right way to go about it, I look forward to my next brew. The mistake I've been making is putting the extract and the grains in near the beginning.

Grains must be done in the beginning - there is no other feasible way to do it. As a matter of fact, the grains are a WHOLE separate step, at a MUCH lower temperature. If there are ANY grains in your boil, your beer could end up tasting more like tea than like beer... and nobody wants that.

Grains are MASHED, at 145-155F, not BOILED, at 210-212F.

You used DME (right?) but I'm assuming it's the same with a can of extract in that I want to get the conversion of the grains done first (the time consumer) and then introduce the DME or LME. Have I got this all right?

Yes, mash or steep the grain for 30-90 minutes, then remove the grain, then add more water, and then boil. After you reach a boil, add up to half of your extract and start your hop schedule (should be 45-60 minutes long). In the last 10-20 minutes of that hour or so, you can add the rest of the malt extract.

Beyond that, I have 3 other questions for you:
1) How much attention do you pay to fermenting temperatures?

This is *hugely* important. Most people don't ferment too cold; most people ferment too warm. Try to keep the room or the water bath the beer is in below 70F, with 65F even better for most beers. Even a wheat beer is better if fermented below 70F.

2) I often brew some pretty big beers. The latest IPA for example, was a calculated 7.7% before bottle conditioning. I achieved this using 1 liter LME, 500 g of DME, and 2000 g of glucose. My question: Should I have used more than 1 packet of yeast that came with this set? It seems I still managed to get the yeast working hard and convert a lot of sugars...

That gravity is manageable with one packet of yeast, but double pitching or making a starter will probably make your beer taste "cleaner". Just my $.02, again.

3) Do you keg everything or bottle and brewing many times a week, if you bottle you must have to purchase a lot of new bottles right? Got a good source? Do you recycle bottles?

As for me, I don't brew every week any more. When I did try to brew every week, it was a half gallon at a time, so that's not even a full six-pack when all is said and done.

My friends save bottles for me, and I remove the labels in hot water. I don't use screw caps. If you have a bench capper you can use screw caps, and contacting a local bar can yield you literally *hundreds* of bottles in a single day, if you agree to pick them up.

When one of my kegs empties, I ferment another batch for it. That seems to be about every two months or so, unless I have a house party!

Thanks in advance for any more helpful insight you may be able to offer.
fred

I know this wasn't addressed to me, but I felt it would be okay to pitch in my thoughts as well.

Good luck in your hobby, and I hope you can improve your beer soon! :tank:

Excellent thread. I only have two extract brews under my belt, but I may try this out soon since I received 5lbs of grains in my NorthernBrewer delivery that I didn't order. :-x Not sure what grain yields what characteristic, but I'll figure it out eventually.

Hey gang,

I have already fixed/changed a bunch of things such as DME instead of LME, which reduced the color and caramel/molasses flavor, full boils (2 half boils to make a full 5gals), yeast starters, ferment 62-68 (thermometer on outside of bucket) and leave it a week longer in fermenter after it's done for the yeast to cleanup... I have tweaked the stepping grains/hops... a bit and my beers are really very good, by my standards and by those who drink them.

So my question is this, how much better is the beer really by doing PM or AG for that matter? If my beers are currently very good, how much better will they be? What are we looking for with PM/AG? Cheaper is not always a reason to change as noted that I currently use DME which is a bit more expensive.

I guess I'm trying to justify the extra equipment and time of PM vs. steeping/extract brewing.

Thanks in advance
Toy4Rick

If you have a good process, you can make just as good of beer with extract as you can with grains. It's about attention to detail, proper temperatures, sanitation, fresh quality ingredients and all-around procedure more than anything.

You simply have more versatility and control with grain. And you can make certain styles of beers where extract limits you, such as one of my personal favorites: Roggenbier.

So my question is this, how much better is the beer really by doing PM or AG for that matter?

Some styles can only be done by PM or AG. My AGs have been worse than my extracts, in my experience, so if I can do extract, I generally do. I don't think AG makes "better" beer, I just think it makes making beer cheaper.

What are we looking for with PM/AG? Cheaper is not always a reason to change as noted that I currently use DME which is a bit more expensive.

There are certain styles that require PM or AG. Not many, mind you, but some. For instance, finding rye extract is pretty difficult or impossible, so if you want a true roggenbier you have to PM or AG. There are other types as well.

Also, if you want control of the maltiness/dryness of your beer, controlling the mash temp and volume can give you that sort of fine-tuning. Most people will never need that level of control, though, so extract (which is mashed pretty much in the middle of dry/malty) is good enough for most situations.

If you can steep and are willing to pay extract prices, then you can make *almost* every kind of beer you ever want to make. Palmer and Zainasheff have a book out of extract and PM/steeping recipes that I can vouch for personally, having brewed some of the recipes.

Amazon.com: Brewing Classic Styles: 80 Winning Recipes Anyone Can Brew (9780937381922): Jamil Zainasheff, John Palmer: Books

If you don't want to do AG or PM, you definitely don't have to.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a good process, you can make just as good of beer with extract as you can with grains. It's about attention to detail, proper temperatures, sanitation, fresh quality ingredients and all-around procedure more than anything.

You simply have more versatility and control with grain. And you can make certain styles of beers where extract limits you, such as one of my personal favorites: Roggenbier.

Haha! I was just saying the same thing!! :D

Quick Question ...are the Brewers Best kits (like the one in the following link)
What you're talking about in this tutorial?

if not ..what are the main differences ..
I've done a few (still pretty new to brewing) and have thrown in a few extras with pretty good results

Big Honkin' Stout Extract Kit w/ Specialty Grains : Northern Brewer

Since I didn't see a list of grains in that kit, I can't tell you if they are mashed or not. The main difference between mashing and just basically soaking grains is that in mashing you are concerned with enzyme activity converting starches to sugars. If that kit does not use 2-row (or maybe 6-row, but I doubt it) then it is not concerned with enzymatic conversion.

Usually a stout kit will use specialty grains for color and flavor, and not for fermentables. Usually those ready-made kits will not count on you to do an actual mash, because people get confused about mashing easily and it's pretty hard to mess up just soaking grain in hot water. ;)

If you find a kit that includes 2-row or 6-row, then you know that it is a partial mash and not just specialty grain steeping.

great info. I am a fairly new brewer. I have 5 extract brews under my belt so far. After a few more, i will be wanting to expand to the PM. You have provided great insight on the equipment needed and the process. Any chance you could elaborate on the ingredients used? Or, better yet, any good beginner recipes you recommend or could direct me towards? thanks

great info. I am a fairly new brewer. I have 5 extract brews under my belt so far. After a few more, i will be wanting to expand to the PM. You have provided great insight on the equipment needed and the process. Any chance you could elaborate on the ingredients used? Or, better yet, any good beginner recipes you recommend or could direct me towards? thanks

Austin Homebrew Supply

Partial Mash Kits - Recipe Kits - Brewing : Northern Brewer

Brewing Ingredients - Ingredient Kits - Rebel Brewer

Beer making Kits

Pretty much any of those links will get you to partial mash kits. Using a kit is the easiest, but not the least expensive, way to get into Partial Mash. Otherwise, you can search for some established recipes and pick one you like:

Recipes/Ingredients - Home Brew Forums

The Beer Recipator - Recipes

Good luck, and have fun! :mug:

Hey All. Thanks Deathbrewer for offering up this technique and recipes. I am using this as we speak to complete the first brew I have done in 15 years. I borrowed your Dunkelweizen recipe and tweaked it a little. I hope all goes well. I will report back after fermentation to let you all know how it slides down.

I have been reading this forum for a little while and you all seem like a super friendly bunch. I look forward to being part of this community!!

Hoppy Brew Year All!

Back