Adding DME to secondary???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daedalus

Reaction score
I just realized that I completely messed up my calculations when working with a recipe. I needed to add an additional pound of extract but failed to do so in the boil. Since my hydrometer shattered, I wasn't able to measure my OG and I'll probably come up really short if I don't add this extra lb.

Is it possible to add an extra pound when I rack from primary to secondary? Is the problem contamination? Could I boil a quart or so and make a mini wort? Then add it?

Thanks.

Just finish this one off and make it a session beer. Start your next batch tomorrow and add all the ingredients. See how each turns out.

:( I was hoping to give this one a little kick in the pants. Will adding the mini wort kill my current batch?

You might could try just adding sugar. I've added it directly to the secondary with no problems.

why don't you add it in primary when it's on the bulk of the yeast? sounds like you haven't racked it over yet?

For an extra fast brew day I add DME from the packet to hopped malty water with no contamination issues so far (I have used this lazy method for over 5 years).

Only issue could be the fermentation will restart and maybe loosing the protective CO2 layer above the top of the beer in the fermenter I guess.

add it to primary IMO

i've done a dextrose addition in primary during active fermentation and it worked just fine, shouldn't be any issue with adding DME, I would think adding in secondary would defeat the purpose of using the secondary to clear the beer since the yeast will be active and churning again once you add the DME

If you have the room in the primary, boil it for about 10 minutes in a qt of water stirring often to keep it from scorching. Let it cool in a cold water bath and dump er in carefully as to not introduce more air then you need to. Your schedule will be off, but you won't ruin your beer. Often high gravity beers have their sugars added at different times during fermentation as to not "shock" the yeast. Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew.

When you buy a new hydrometer, buy two. Won't hurt to have a spare! They don't cost THAT much...

I should listen to my own advice, but I also use one at work around machinery, and...so far so good *crosses fingers*

If you really want it in there, follow the boil it/cool it and then add to fermenter. If you have enough sugars already, just have a lower-abv session beer. Drop that DME into another beer and boost it :)

Back