Simcoe and Amarillo users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
I just picked these up at my FAHBS and wanted to know how they taste, bitter or aroma . I thought I remember seeing pale ale's or an IPA done with 1 or both of these on this forum. How did you like um? What did you use them for in your brew? Cheers:mug:

I bought a Lb. of Simcoe a while back and have been using them in most of my brews, im very impressed with the piney taste of them, not to bitter and a great clean taste, good for dry brews. As for Amarillo I have not used them, but sites say they are much like cascade, another a bought a Lb. of, which is always a great hop for bittering or aroma. I have used it for porters, IPAs and pales, all impressive.

The smell of the simcoe is incredible like 1 of my favorite herbs. The amarillo is whole and sealed so I can't smell that 1, but if it's cascades on steroids I am stoked.

gabe said:
The smell of the simcoe is incredible like 1 of my favorite herbs. The amarillo is whole and sealed so I can't smell that 1, but if it's cascades on steroids I am stoked.

Ive used simcoe on my last few batches and I really like them. Definitely pineapple aroma, kind of unique. Ive bittered with them and the bitterness is a tad harsh not unlike chinook, but smoother than chinook. I made a single hop simcoe ale that was really good except for the (slight) harsh bitterness but that was at like 50+ ibus. Ive also made a simcoe/amarillo ale that was good too. amarillo is exactly like cascades, to me at least. I wouldnt say 'cascades on steroids' but just like cascades.

The best thing to do is make a single hop beer. It really gives you a barometer on the flavor, aroma, and bitterness of each. Dont be scared to use a high alpha hop for aroma or flavor or vice versa (a low alpha for bitterness) The quality of hops these days makes them all interchangeable in my opinion.

If you've ever had "Brian Boru" from Three Floyds, then that should tell you what Amarillo smells and tastes like. They use tons of amarillo in that beer. Its a nice hop.

Biermann said:
Amarillos are a cascade variant, but more floral and more citrusy.

Yep, what he said

I love them personally. They are mostly used in pales, but Ive added them to alot of blondes and I think it works really well.

Thanks for the info looking forward to trying them out, probably in a pale ale or something light and hoppy.

My favorite pale ale is an all Amarillo hopped ale. To my taste, Amarillo's are a citrus flavor but different than Cascade. I really am not that crazy about Cascades but love Amarillo as odd as that may sound to many.

Prowler 13 said:
My favorite pale ale is an all Amarillo hopped ale. To my taste, Amarillo's are a citrus flavor but different than Cascade. I really am not that crazy about Cascades but love Amarillo as odd as that may sound to many.

DITTO
I had a Simcoe/Amarillo IPA a couple of years ago at a beerfest and loved it.
I have Simcoe and Amarillo in my freezer right now. Not sure yet if I'll go with an APA or an IPA.

My pale ale that is in my primary has Simcoe AND amarillo hops. I have used equal parts of both for bittering and finishing. I will also dry hop with equal parts of both. Amarillo so far is my FAVORITE hop, PERIOD!!! the aroma is out of this world and the flavor is to die for. My friend made an IPA with warrior and amarillo. I must say that was a killer beer! Simcoe has an interesting smell to it. completely different from any other hop i've smelled before. Though unusual, it smells great! Any beer made with these 2 hops will be good if used in a balanced manner. (and maybe dry hopped, heheheheheh ;) )

Back