Swmbo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D*Bo said:
I've seen this around a few times and was wondering what it means.

The one who is in charge, but allows us to think we are in charge every once in a while.... yes..... I am talking about ..... the wife.... (dramatic sound effects in background)

Beer Snob said:
The one who is in charge, but allows us to think we are in charge every once in a while.... yes..... I am talking about ..... the wife.... (dramatic sound effects in background)

In charge? You guys have HGTBFK! Um, Whatever hapenned to a partnership?, and maintaining the Domestic Tranquility Index? SWMBO, more like She Who is my best friend, and lets me pursue my hobbies. It's okay to take charge, but does anyone really need "to be in charge"?

oh wait, you guys are kidding. I get it. Cuz, no man could be that big a wuss, to let a woman be that unreasonable :D

Except maybe for the shoes.

Sorry snob, right answer, wrong place, too many beers:drunk:

glibbidy said:
In charge? You guys have HGTBFK! Um, Whatever hapenned to a partnership?, and maintaining the Domestic Tranquility Index? SWMBO, more like She Who is my best friend, and lets me pursue my hobbies. It's okay to take charge, but does anyone really need "to be in charge"?

oh wait, you guys are kidding. I get it. Cuz, no man could be that big a wuss, to let a woman be that unreasonable :D

Except maybe for the shoes.

Well....hmm..... I want to ask how many days you've been married for, but just dont know how to word it without sounding too much like a smart A$$. I'm not a very good smart A$$..... :D

The originally SWMBO was 'The Queen of She" in Quatermaine, or King Solomans Mines. She was the Emperess of a bunch of Amazons. I tink it was one of those deals where the slaves were not allowed to speak her actual name, as if She was a wrathful God. Used tongue in cheek in "Rumpole of the Bailey", a later English series of novels, made into a TV show. Not generally considered complementary.

Beer Snob said:
Well....hmm..... I want to ask how many days you've been married for, but just dont know how to word it without sounding too much like a smart A$$. I'm not a very good smart A$$..... :D

I'm am a fabulous smart a$$ myself, however, I'm determined to keep this civil. :eek:
How many days does it take to become jaded. um, lets see... 2145 days and two children later, I'm still negotiating with my lovely wife, and if all goes well, I'll be negotiating until my death.
I simply do not see the point of referring to someone who, one intends to spend the rest of their natural life with as She Who Must Be Obeyed. Obeyed? Obey what? Aren't you in it together? Why do we need to obey them? Why can't we all just get along with them iron out our differences, and practice diplomacy, instead of leaving all the control to them?

Again, sorry snob, but wrong place, right thread, not the type of diplomacy I want to practice. This SWMBO thing is a bunch of BS if you ask me. Personally at least with the Domestic Tranquility Index the balance of power is split giving everyone a chance ;) But if they are Amazonians, I guess it's an entirely different story.

Nothing to be sorry about really. I love these thread cause I'm laughing all the way through them. Another one of my residents died. In the evening... in groups like this.... you gotta let yourself laugh a bit you know. It would be interesting to see what people think of the SWMBO slang we use here often. From what I have seen so far I would haveto guess it is the obeyed one. Just a guess though. :)

I think I run to Glibbidy's line of thinking to a degree. My wife and I are partners in what we do. No matter if it's her thing or mine we're in it together. We both know this, we both give each other TONS of BS but we know it's because we KNOW each other... I mean, I'll tell her she's full of Sh#*, she tells me F#*% off, we give each other the finger and laugh ourselves silly because people think we're serious. It cracks us up.

That's not to say we don't get pissed at each other. We do more now than we ever have due to some financial stuff and the 2 year old is, well, a 2 year old and is killin us 2 40+ year olds.... But we talk it out. We throttle back and go, "damn, ok, maybe i went overboard on that". It's all give and take.

And if you ask her, yeah she'll tell you she's in charge, I would holler back "yeah whatever" and we'd give each other the finger.

But I'm still going home with my best friend.

And she doesn't read the boards so I'm not worried about her seeing this. ;)

Oh and yeah, I told her about SWMBO a long time ago... she said "yeah that's right" I told her "kiss my a$$".... she gave me the finger, kissed me good night and went to bed. :D

Ize

PS: and by the way Michael, I'm sorry to hear about the loss at your work. Hoping you're continuing on the mend tho. Give Thunder a scratch for us.

I always viewed "SWMBO" as the sweetest kind of irony, like it's already winking at itself by implying we're a cluster of fearful alchemists hiding from the authorities.

Like, implicit in the "must" of the She Who Must Be Obeyed is the thought that, at the end of the day, we'd like to make her happy, which is why we're with her.

I mean... we're home brewers. How uptight can we be? As the Good Book says: Relax. Don't Worry. Have a Homebrew.

And as was amended to it by the Gospel of St. Brewski: "And once in a while make one that your girl will like."

Cheers to all :)

71050.jpg

Yeah, baby....

thumb-al_you.jpg

Beer Snob said:
It would be interesting to see what people think of the SWMBO slang we use here often. From what I have seen so far I would haveto guess it is the obeyed one. Just a guess though. :)

I told my wife - oops, sorry, "SWMBO" - about the acroynm, and she *LOVED* it, thought it was hilarious. Mind you, we have a partnership, from housework to childraising to all of that... but it's still funny. In fact, she introduced it to HER board, a bunch of January '05 Mommies, and I do believe that it went over swimmingly.

The whole 'SWMBO' thing is just a humorous compliment thinly disguised as an 'insult' for most of us on here i'm sure!:D

Damn...some of you guys need to smoke a j and relax. SWMBO is supposed to be fun.

Letting her think she is in charge is what makes it funny. Let's keep it that way.

Caplan said:
The whole 'SWMBO' thing is just a humorous compliment thinly disguised as an 'insult' for most of us on here i'm sure!
Caplan, you've got it right.

2145 days and two children later, I'm still negotiating with my lovely wife, and if all goes well, I'll be negotiating until my death.
5.8 years, enjoy it, it won't last much longer :D a couple more years that negotiating will change to begging.

I'm at 6543 days and I still occasionally get laid because I quit the negotiating crap.. I learned which battles to fight and which to just let her have her way, the latter happening more often.. She controls my sex life, so she gets her way most of the time. When I decide to spend $700 on brew gear, screw negotiating, I get yelled at for just doing it, but she eventually accepts it (when I bring up how much she spends on what I consider stupid ****).

Ize said:
Oh and yeah, I told her about SWMBO a long time ago... she said "yeah that's right" I told her "kiss my a$$".... she gave me the finger, kissed me good night and went to bed. :D

PS: and by the way Michael, I'm sorry to hear about the loss at your work. Hoping you're continuing on the mend tho. Give Thunder a scratch for us.

Hey thats what happened with me too (hahahahaha). Oy. Oh and the loss at work.... Everyone who works there deals with it in a certain way. You try not to get too close to residents. Though it would be "not human" not to. People ask me all the time how I could work at a nursing home. Being in Activities I am personaly responsible for bringing quality of life to whatever time they have left. My vew on this responsibility is considerable though in the end I remind myself of the quarlity of life I brought to a resident and how many new experiences I brought to thier life. And I try to remind myself what they have taught me so that they will live on. I suppose that's how I deal with it. My father is going through cancer now. My ability to cope and work through this has certainly been related to my work. As apposed to my brother who is dealing with it by ....not dealing with it.

I also work at a nursing home. There are some residents I let myself get close to and some of them are no longer just residents they are firends I am helping out. I feel I am one of the few people that work there that feel the residends are people not just a job. If I can make a few of them smile ecah day then I have done a good thing and I desreve the beer waiting at home for me. Also when they pass I honestly feel they are better off because the suffering is over so I go home and drink a beer to them and wish them well on there way.

budbo said:
5.8 years, enjoy it, it won't last much longer :D a couple more years that negotiating will change to begging.

I'm at 6543 days and I still occasionally get laid because I quit the negotiating crap.. I learned which battles to fight and which to just let her have her way, the latter happening more often.. She controls my sex life, so she gets her way most of the time. When I decide to spend $700 on brew gear, screw negotiating, I get yelled at for just doing it, but she eventually accepts it (when I bring up how much she spends on what I consider stupid ****).

that's a damn shame. sorry about your luck. ;)

Back