Vienna Lager Sam Adams Boston Lager clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misplaced_Canuck

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 2308
Yeast Starter
2L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 50F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 days @ 68F (Gradual increase)
Additional Fermentation
30 days @ 42F
Tasting Notes
Quite the hoppy beer. Hoppier than S.A.
14 lbs US 2-row
2 lbs Vienna
1 lbs Cara-Pils
1 lbs Cara-Red
8.0 oz Crystal 40

Mash 153F 90 minutes
Mash-out 170F 20 minutes

2.0 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (leaf) 60min
2.0 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (leaf) 15min
2.0 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (leaf) 0min (through a Hop Rocket)

The 2.0oz of H-M in the rocket really bumped up the hop aroma & flavor. It's a touch too much hops for an exact SA clone, but it's soooo delicious.

Clarification on the fermentation time & temps, in this order:

1) 14 days @ 50F
2) 3 days @ 68F (gradual increase)
3) 30 days @ 42F

MC

Pic:

2n6w83k.jpg

MC

This sounds and looks delicious. Do you have any recommendations for those of us that won't be using a hop rocket / hopback? I know that Sam Adams is traditionally dry hopped for 14 days.

I don't see it either

You may be reading it from a different source (mobile app, etc), so I'll repost the header:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 2308
Yeast Starter: 2L
Batch Size (Gallons): 10.5
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.005
IBU: 21
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 5.6
Tasting Notes: Quite the hoppy beer. Hoppier than S.A.

Just kegged mine last week. Very enjoyable beer. I had to use liberty and mt. Hood due to availability, but it is a tasty beer. I dry hoped with 1 oz liberty for 5 days.

Looks really tasty, how does the malt profile compare to the original? Did you come up with this recipe yourself?

This took a second place, in the European Lager category, this past week-end in a competition in Raleigh, NC. :tank:

MC

Hey Con-grads!

Boston Larger is my favorite beer, and I am looking to start expanding into all grain and larger beer and this may be my first recipe.

Has anything changed at all? Are you still brewing this?

Thanks!

I did a 10Gal batch of this and pitched in two fermenters with 34/70 and Us05 to compare ale/Lager.
I used 2row and crystal 60.
Hops i used Liberty,Tettnanger and Haller.
The Lager is still in ferm chamber but the Ale was very nice!
Malty but could tell the hops were their without overpowering the beer.
Cant wait to try the lager.

I did a 10Gal batch of this and pitched in two fermenters with 34/70 and Us05 to compare ale/Lager.
I used 2row and crystal 60.
Hops i used Liberty,Tettnanger and Haller.
The Lager is still in ferm chamber but the Ale was very nice!
Malty but could tell the hops were their without overpowering the beer.
Cant wait to try the lager.

Nice! I will be interested in how the lager comes out. What were your hop details? Such as did you use pellets or leaf, were they German or USA? and did you use the same amounts as was originally posted?

I just did a small batch using 34/70 in a swamp cooler trying to keep temps under 60F and so far It is working. I am a huge SABL fan in fact its about the only beer I drink. But the batch of lager I am doing just uses 2-row and 40L, with some home grown fresh Tettnager and Hallertauer. I am trying all versions of this clone.....

Well after it sat at lagering temps for about a month,I bottled and been conditioned for a few weeks now.
I cant believe how much the taste has changed and got better over time.
I used the 34/70 yeast and as it had alot of sulphur smell to it in beginning its subsided and bready notes are noticeable.
It's sweet,malty,earthy and just enough bitterness.

This is a definite rebrew!
Thanks for recipe.

From the SA website video, the wort sits on the hops for 3 weeks after main fermentation is over.
I make a fairly good clone in 2 gal recipe doing that from a Mr Beer Pilsner hopped Malt extract base.
Dissolve 8 oz pale malt and 2 oz Briess Trad Dark DME (for its 50% Munich malt) in 6 cups distilled water with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp sodium bicarb. When boiling add 0.5 oz Hallertauer hop in bag and boil for 10 min (boosts the Pilsner bitterness to ~ 30 IBU). Take off heat and dissolve HME can. Put all in fermenter with distilled and tap water to end up at 2 gal total, including 2/3 distilled. Ferment with S-23 yeast for a week then add another 0.5 oz Hallertauer in a bag and leave for 3 weeks. Take out the 2 hopsacks and bottle with priming sugar. Mature for 6 weeks then enjoy. May not be 100% but it drinks pretty close.

Used to like getting a 6 pack of Sam Adams occasionally until they jumped on the Political Correctness bandwagon over a St. Patrick's Day Parade about a year ago. This recipe looks like a good substitute.

Here is another way to make a good clone for people using Mr Beer ingredients. Yes, even Mr Beer stuff will make a good clone.
SA Lager clone,
Steep/mash 4 oz Vienna malt grain ans 2 oz Cara 60 for 35 min at 165 deg in a hop bag with enough water to cover.
Make drained liquid up to 4 cups with water, add 12 oz Pisener DME and 4 heaped dessertspoons of maltodextrin & bring to boil
add 0.5 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrau in hop bag and boil 10 min.
Remove from heat and add 1 can Mr Beer Pilsener HME, stir to dissolve.

Pour wort concentrate into 1 gal cold water in fermenter. Top up to 2.1 gal with cold water.
Cool to below 60deg and pitch 1 pack 37/40 yeast.
Ferment at 50-55 deg for a week or until foam subsides if longer
Add 0.5 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrau in hop bag and leave at 50-55 for another 2 weeks.
let temp come up to ~ 65 deg for another week then bottle. (total 3 weeks on dry hops - what Sam Adams does)
drink after about 2 months minimum.

It is clearer after 2 months, this was at 2 weeks.(I get impatient - lol)

not Sam Adams.jpg

From the SA website video, the wort sits on the hops for 3 weeks after main fermentation is over.
I make a fairly good clone in 2 gal recipe doing that from a Mr Beer Pilsner hopped Malt extract base.
Dissolve 8 oz pale malt and 2 oz Briess Trad Dark DME (for its 50% Munich malt) in 6 cups distilled water with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp sodium bicarb. When boiling add 0.5 oz Hallertauer hop in bag and boil for 10 min (boosts the Pilsner bitterness to ~ 30 IBU). Take off heat and dissolve HME can. Put all in fermenter with distilled and tap water to end up at 2 gal total, including 2/3 distilled. Ferment with S-23 yeast for a week then add another 0.5 oz Hallertauer in a bag and leave for 3 weeks. Take out the 2 hopsacks and bottle with priming sugar. Mature for 6 weeks then enjoy. May not be 100% but it drinks pretty close.

The second version is better and closer. I cannot tell taste apart.:mug:

Brewed my version of SA BL clone and poured the first pint tonight. Very tasty.

IMG_1062.JPG

...based on info from the SA website.

Last edited:
It worked great. Very tasty brew that I plan to keep in the rotation.

I made this a few weeks ago. It's carbing and largering so it will be ready by July 4th. Been taking samples and I'm loving this beer so far.
I fermented it with 34/70 AT 51F. Then let the temp rise toward the end. I also changed the bittering addition to FWH. It's going to be hard to stay out of it and save it for the 4th

I altered the recipe and split 2row and maris, added C60, and split munich and vienna. Also cranked up the water profile a bit too. Really pleased, 95% cloned.

14 lbs US 2-row
2 lbs Vienna
1 lbs Cara-Pils
1 lbs Cara-Red
8.0 oz Crystal 40

Mash 153F 90 minutes
Mash-out 170F 20 minutes

2.0 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (leaf) 60min
2.0 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (leaf) 15min
2.0 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (leaf) 0min (through a Hop Rocket)

The 2.0oz of H-M in the rocket really bumped up the hop aroma & flavor. It's a touch too much hops for an exact SA clone, but it's soooo delicious.

Clarification on the fermentation time & temps, in this order:

1) 14 days @ 50F
2) 3 days @ 68F (gradual increase)
3) 30 days @ 42F

MC

This is likely an old post revival, but props to OG. Batch #354 and I still see what others are doing to make beers. I went ahead and brewed this recipe, 11 gallons.

It’s awesome. :)

~Adam

Attachments

• 378BA2D9-EF65-4FD2-8A28-91D7BAF58F26.jpeg
    378BA2D9-EF65-4FD2-8A28-91D7BAF58F26.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 88
Some feedback, based on the above batch #354 I brewed following the recipe in the original post. The beer is fantastic, it's crystal clear now, and just... nice.

I grabbed a 12 pack of Sam Adams Boston Lager - "best by June 2020" - assuming it was fresher than the 6 pack best by March. SA switched to a 6 month freshness window, I believe...

Color is SPOT ON to Boston Lager, bottle to this beer. Hands down - colors is nailed.

Anywho - Boston Lager is a different beer now. When fresh, I swear I used to get a delicate German hop aroma. I travel often through Atlanta ATL airport and I jokingly call it Atlanta Boston Lager at the Buffalo Wild Wing - who has good beer selection. In the past year, fresh Boston Lager... had aroma.

Today's bottle of Boston Lager is... malty. Crystal malt nose, clean lager character, low-to-no hops. Flavor follows nose, but increased malt character in flavor. Bread, toast, light-to-medium malt sweetness, and a medium-low hop bitterness balances to mostly dry finish after the crystal sweetness fades. Not cloying or sweet. Hop flavor is low-to-none, with crystal malt / rich malt dominating flavor. Finishes light on palate for all of the flavor initially on the palate.

Conclusion: This base beer needs a bit of a dry hop and likely a 2-5 minute hop addition. At least 1 ounce, if you prefer a nice hop flavor.

Last comment, I am a BJCP National Level Judge - while not perfect, I feel I can support my analysis, but always open to dialog.

Cheers and beers,
~Adam

Boston Lager is a different beer now.

I find that the quality is variable, in the same way that 3 different Coca-Colas can taste quite different based on age, storage conditions, where they were made, etc., even when each follow the same recipe. And in the case of Boston Lager, who knows but they might tweak the recipe slightly over time as well. Not to mention, different crops of grains and hops will not taste exactly the same from year to year. Plenty of variables at play prevent absolute consistency. I still find Boston Lager today to be consistent with pints I've had in years past... which were always slightly variable from day to day anyway. *shrug*

Certified A0511

Back